Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 17:19   #1

Gold Coast to New Caledonia May 2019 Group

Hi all,

I realize Down Under rally’s do a Go East in May. We are leaving mid May 2019 from May 12 (Weather permitting) in a Lagoon 380 (5.5-6.5kt avg).

If anyone can’t for whatever reason make the Go East rally (Which is highly recommended for those that haven’t been before) or if you just want a smaller group we are proposing a meet and greet in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area for those interested.

Again, not undercutting the rally at all, it is an amazing rally which we urge people to be a part of. The window for dates just don’t work for us.

Anyone keen?

Thanks!
slash695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 16:51   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 55
Re: Gold Coast to New Caledonia May 2019 Group

Hi
I may be interested in joining your group as I am not sure I can get away on the date of the "go East" therefore don't feel inclined to pay the entry fee.
I am looking for a couple of crew who are experienced rather than just a couple of friends.
it would be my first time to go international although I have sailed all of the east coast numerous times over the past 30 years.
Ian Meldrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 17:58   #3

The price of the Go East rally doesn't work for me. Last I heard it was $1600!

The Brisbane - Vanuatu used to be $200.

Even better, the Port to Port (Bundaberg) was $200, but they paid your customs and immigration fees into Aus, which was $330! Amazingly, you paid them $200 up front, and they handed you $330 in cash on arrival. Plus a bag with some other goodies.

So TBH, I find a $1600 fee hard to justify.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 18:54   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So TBH, I find a $1600 fee hard to justify.
I find paying a fee to sail anywhere hard to justify. The whole "rally" concept fails to excite me at all, with the exception of the old Darwin-Ambon one where they took care of what was at the time really awkward paper work for you. That was a useful service indeed.

But sailing to New Cal... well, it is a fairly easy passage if you pick your wx (something that a specified departure date negates), and the entry is the most painless we have experienced anywhere... and free to boot.

Throwing a few parties... welll, we've never lacked for social events on our own. Cruisers are a friendly and gregarious lot as a rule. In fact, we've observed that rally participants often are so enmeshed in their own little clique that they don't interact much with the other cruisers or the local folks (except at organized events which often lack authenticity). Seems a sad loss to them.

Enough of a rant! None of my biz how others choose to cruise, so (medical issues willing) we'll see ya in Baie de Orphelinat around August (a better time of year to visit IMO).

Jim
Old 20-01-2019, 20:27   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I would consider one of the big rallies for a first crossing for our confidence but at the same time I think I would be disappointed and at the end be sure I should have just done it myself.

My reason that I might use a rally 1st time is my concern about picking weather and wave height windows for longer trips where I would be exposed for long distances. Not much else concerns me.
Old 20-01-2019, 21:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I would consider one of the big rallies for a first crossing for our confidence but at the same time I think I would be disappointed and at the end be sure I should have just done it myself.

My reason that I might use a rally 1st time is my concern about picking weather and wave height windows for longer trips where I would be exposed for long distances. Not much else concerns me.
The trouble with that is, rallies generally have a starting date. Usually they're a bit flexible, but still.... If you do it yourself you choose the best time to leave.

Alternatively you could consult a weather router, although that didn't work out all that well for the rally we were in...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 21:14   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dave, I really doubt that anyone in the rally management is better at wx than say Bob McDavitt in NZ, and you can get his free wx advice on the web or employ him as a personal adviser if you wish. I'd sure trust him more than a rally organizer (who has a vested interest in getting boats away on his schedule).

And FWIW, we prefer to go in August or even September. Wx we look for is a moderate east coast low off of NSW. this brings W'ly quadrant winds to the Southport area (our favourite departure point) which usually last a couple of days. This allows you to get away in easy conditions and get a bunch of Easting in. Then as the wind backs towards the SE, you start working more towards NC, usually ending up on a close reach as you approach Passe Boularie. This has worked for us quite a few times, and avoids having to beat into the trades which is never much fun. In your boat, you should have no trouble in getting there in< five days, and without pushing it.

Jim

Hmmm....44 beat me to it!

Oh... reason we go later is that in May/June and even July, it's still pretty cold in NC, both air and water. With a 90 day visa limit, if you go early you must leave just as the wx is getting nicer!
Old 21-01-2019, 01:05   #8

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The trouble with that is, rallies generally have a starting date. Usually they're a bit flexible, but still.... If you do it yourself you choose the best time to leave.

Alternatively you could consult a weather router, although that didn't work out all that well for the rally we were in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dave, I really doubt that anyone in the rally management is better at wx than say Bob McDavitt in NZ, and you can get his free wx advice on the web or employ him as a personal adviser if you wish. I'd sure trust him more than a rally organizer (who has a vested interest in getting boats away on his schedule).

And FWIW, we prefer to go in August or even September. Wx we look for is a moderate east coast low off of NSW. this brings W'ly quadrant winds to the Southport area (our favourite departure point) which usually last a couple of days. This allows you to get away in easy conditions and get a bunch of Easting in. Then as the wind backs towards the SE, you start working more towards NC, usually ending up on a close reach as you approach Passe Boularie. This has worked for us quite a few times, and avoids having to beat into the trades which is never much fun. In your boat, you should have no trouble in getting there in< five days, and without pushing it.

Jim

Hmmm....44 beat me to it!

Oh... reason we go later is that in May/June and even July, it's still pretty cold in NC, both air and water. With a 90 day visa limit, if you go early you must leave just as the wx is getting nicer!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.
Old 30-01-2019, 14:28   #9

Hi all,

Great advice here,
We will still be leaving with a starting window (obviously flexible due to weather) around the 13th of May!

Ian we will be in touch to organise a meet and greet, sorry we have been off the forums for a bit!

Anyone else keen, we will be employing a weather person also to help with our window choice and we have irridium go on board also.

Cheers!

Jeff and Scott
Old 30-01-2019, 21:17   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

The Go West version is still pretty good value, I think - we did it this year (Santo -> Huon -> Chesterfield -> Bundy - very nice run indeed).

Looking to get back to Fiji this season (more diving), probably via New Cal. Leaving May sometime also.

Cheers,
Rick
rickp435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:25   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to Darby695

Thanks Guys,
Scott here, as Jeff has confirmed we will be leaving after the 12-13 May 19 and intend to have the “Met Wiz” Bob McDavitt (NZ) assist with the sensible weather window.
Considering the experience and expertise and relatively inexpensive advice, I feel it’s common sense considering this is our first “long haul” sail.
Happy to share all the information with anyone is interested in departing at a similar time.
We are based in Brisbane and are flexible also for the departure point.

Scott & Jeff
Darby695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 21:53   #12

Boat: LAGOON 400

We plan to go june or even july. Very relaxed schedule. Figured out last year real fun in NC starts mid august. Still iffing if depart Coffs or Gold coast. Do not like Coffs exposure to NE weather. And it appears bad weather is stronger off Coffs than GC. But then also do not like sail against current in company of whales and crab pots from coffs to GC... We averaged 6.4kn or so last year both ways.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 18:57   #13

Boat: Woodward 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby695 View Post
Thanks Guys,
Scott here, as Jeff has confirmed we will be leaving after the 12-13 May 19 and intend to have the “Met Wiz” Bob McDavitt (NZ) assist with the sensible weather window.
Considering the experience and expertise and relatively inexpensive advice, I feel it’s common sense considering this is our first “long haul” sail.
Happy to share all the information with anyone is interested in departing at a similar time.
We are based in Brisbane and are flexible also for the departure point.

Scott & Jeff
Your preferred starting point I would suggest as Coffs harbour. From there to Noumea the winds should not get forward of the beam. Starting out further North changes the angle so you could have the wind forward of the beam and beating into the seas, as happened to a previous group of yachties that chose the point.
All the best.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:45   #14

Boat: St Francis 50 2009

Hi, We are a 15.3m Cat currently in Gold Coast. I considered the rally but my crew doesn't show up until around the 12th of May and they have an earlier departure date-also not keen on the cost. I am also planning a mid-May departure - looking for the right weather window. I will be working with Bruce Buckley for weather advice. I have an Iridium phone not 'go' with wx access to GRIBS etc. Happy to trade notes on weather windows?
Stonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:53   #15

Hi stonge!

Get in touch with us via private message and will send you our phone numbers. Sounds like we are leaving the same time and we’re employing bob so we would have twice the info. Also have organised for us a customs agent in noumea to take care of the ins and outs of customs etc.

Jeff and Scott

Tags
cal, New Caledonia