Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 12:24   #46
Eternal Member

Re: What Is a Good Battery Charger ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Btrayfors: West Marine's 30 amp charger does come close, but with 14.7 Volts as the only output, and with really bad feedback from the users of the product on their website, I don't think I'll order it.
All I can tell you is that I've used one for several years, as has my marine electrician colleague (who has 2 of them) and at least one client who bought it on my recommendation. No problems with the charger at all, and for the $79 sale price it's a steal.

Re: the "14.7 volts", I'm not sure what you mean. The 30A model has charging profiles for Gels, AGMs and flooded batteries, and has a true equalization function as well.

Re: the reviews, I'd discount the first negative one "only used on dead or weak batteries", but the others are disturbing.

As they say, YMMV :-)

And, with WM's price guarantee and merchandise guarantee (they'll take it back, exchange it, match any advertised price) you can hardly go wrong. Maybe you'll get a "good one" :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:28   #47

The new Promarine units are pretty much the same as the Sterling units. Th old ProMariner FLYBACK chargers should be removed immediately, they will burn up your boat.

CRITICAL UPGRADES - DO THESE OR ELSE!!!

Charles --- we haven't had much success with them over the years, although they were supplied on many Catalinas by the factory or dealers.

Wiring & Installing A Battery Monitor - SailboatOwners.com
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 16:45   #48

Boat: Westsail 32

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;953208]
Charles --- we haven't had much success with them over the years, although they were supplied on many Catalinas by the factory or dealers.

Stu, as I am considering a Charles charger could you please gives some more insight as to why you have been dissatisfied with their products.
Old 17-05-2012, 17:26   #49

[QUOTE=cburger;953316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Stu, as I am considering a Charles charger could you please gives some more insight as to why you have been dissatisfied with their products.
Sure.

1. The older Charles chargers did not have a switch to go between types of batteries (wet, gel, AGM, etc.) You'd have to replace the whole darn charger!

2. We had reports of fires being started by the newer ones. Just a few, mind ya, but still...

3. There are a lot better ones out there.

4. Based on recent internet babble, Xantrex (who used to make good chargers) have now gone the way of the dodo bird - they have become a victim of their own success (except for the echo charger, which remains a good, reliable product).

Altogether too many people leave their boats plugged in when they are not aboard. This makes the integrity of battery chargers even more important. Having your boat burn down because you bought a less expensive or questionable charger (from experienced contributors - for instance, I'm in daily contact with over 700 C34 skippers and have 13 years with my boat) makes me feel reasonably confident that certain brands should be avoided like the plague.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 17:30   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I'd say

Victron, Mastervolt and Sterling

of course you have to define what you mean as a " good battery charger"

dave
Old 17-05-2012, 17:37   #51

Boat: Westsail 32

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;953336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

3. There are a lot better ones out there.

What brand do you like Stu?

Altogether too many people leave their boats plugged in when they are not aboard. This makes the integrity of battery chargers even more important. Having your boat burn down because you bought a less expensive or questionable charger (from experienced contributors - for instance, I'm in daily contact with over 700 C34 skippers and have 13 years with my boat) makes me feel reasonably confident that certain brands should be avoided like the plague.
Old 17-05-2012, 22:21   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Random thought - On every charter boat I have chartered the checklist says "Plug in the shore power and turn on the battery charger."

What if old sparky chooses that time to burn down the boat - My deductible or did the charter end when I dropped the keys in the mail slot?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:33   #53

One battery charger for 3 battery banks. (diode isolated)
Temp compensated. (direct or programmable)
Equalize mode.
Uses less than 8A / 110vac. (40A @12v)
Multi-mode charge profiles. 2 / 3 stage ; wet / agm
Remote monitoring panel.

Xantrex is probably junk but they came feature rich.

I went from 'yellow' to 'grey' in order to up the amps to better match the battery size 225ah and get shorter charge times when on the portable (Yamaha ef1000is) generator.

However, the dang xantrex has this strange duty-cycle firmware program where it shuts down every fifteen minutes (who knows why) and does this 'hard start' on start up. This is not noticeable when on shore power. But, the gen sees the xantrex as a near short circuit at turn on (you can tell the gen is loading). And it will not carry the load from the gen economy mode. So, even tho the xantrex only uses 4A/110vac (say) the 'duty cycle' demands full amps every time it does the shutdown, restart thingy.

Totally annoying that the gen econo mode is useless.

This is the main reason I'm looking for another marine battery charger as feature rich as the xantrex w/o the dang 'duty cycle' thingy.

Did Xantrex really go 'south'; or just get taken over?? (Schneider Electric)

Thanks, guys

Tom
s/v Driftwood
Panama
buzzzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:43   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Random thought - On every charter boat I have chartered the checklist says "Plug in the shore power and turn on the battery charger."

What if old sparky chooses that time to burn down the boat - My deductible or did the charter end when I dropped the keys in the mail slot?
I guess you have to decide what's more likely, the boat sinking because a through-hull sprang a leak while you were away (and shore power was off, so the batteries ran down) - or the boat catching fire due to a dodgy charger!

NB, Just found out that my bilge pump wasn't working properlly for the last year. That's when the manual mode on the breaker stopped working. I thought it was just the switch, as the bilge pump would come on occasionally. Turns out, it came on when the bad connection in the bilge randomly would connect for a while.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:51   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzzerk View Post
One battery charger for 3 battery banks. (diode isolated)
Temp compensated. (direct or programmable)
Equalize mode.
Uses less than 8A / 110vac. (40A @12v)
Multi-mode charge profiles. 2 / 3 stage ; wet / agm
Remote monitoring panel.

Xantrex is probably junk but they came feature rich.

I went from 'yellow' to 'grey' in order to up the amps to better match the battery size 225ah and get shorter charge times when on the portable (Yamaha ef1000is) generator.

However, the dang xantrex has this strange duty-cycle firmware program where it shuts down every fifteen minutes (who knows why) and does this 'hard start' on start up. This is not noticeable when on shore power. But, the gen sees the xantrex as a near short circuit at turn on (you can tell the gen is loading). And it will not carry the load from the gen economy mode. So, even tho the xantrex only uses 4A/110vac (say) the 'duty cycle' demands full amps every time it does the shutdown, restart thingy.

Totally annoying that the gen econo mode is useless.

This is the main reason I'm looking for another marine battery charger as feature rich as the xantrex w/o the dang 'duty cycle' thingy.

Did Xantrex really go 'south'; or just get taken over?? (Schneider Electric)

Thanks, guys

Tom
s/v Driftwood
Panama
Try the Victron. Several models to choose from and also very feature rich.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery