Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 09:31   #16
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Storing boat with solar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
In general, it is wise to reduce windage when stored on the hard for a length of time. So my suggestion is to take the panels off, especially semi-flex. If desired, connect a little 15 w panel to the controller to keep the batteries on float, and set it somewhere it won't get damaged or covered in snow, depending on location. Note that a 15w panel at 60 degrees facing south will put out as much as a flat 100 w panel in a northern winter (way more when the latter is covered with snow).
That's interesting but I believe your calculation is wrong. You should go explain that in the "Solar out put verse rating" thread
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 10:57   #17

Boat: Ontario32

Ditto to Maine Sail,s observations on cold storage of unattended batteries. I have this current winter disconnected our 4 x 6v GC2 and start battery from the solar input. I will board the boat at the end of the month and check SOC of each battery as they are isolated from each other. In the past I have left them fully connected without issues however this year was a need to know experiment with a new (July 2016) house bank.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:27   #18

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

not me but a friend lost the whole bank when 1 cell failed
as for me I just totally disconnect and isolate for 5 months
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 12:26   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert View Post
This discussion is very timely. I just added new batteries to a boat that has solar charging. There is currently no load, so every morning the controller goes through the modes of Bulk and Absorption on the way to Float. Because the battery bank is new and fully charged, it passes through these modes very quickly.

How is the higher voltage of absorption (for a short period of time) harmful to a fully charged bank?

My opinion is likely very little to any damage is done, however if I were to leave the boat for months, knowing of nothing else no one will be able to add water, I would change the programming if possible so that it only saw float voltage.
There is charging in float, very little and very slow, but if your down a few percent likely over a full Solar day it will charge you back up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 12:29   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
I don't think I can change the programming on mine. As I understand it, it will automatically Bulk, Boost/Absorption, then Float. It's supposed to remain in Float until a load exceeds the charge current, then return to Bulk. It also runs an Equalize automatically every 4 weeks.
The Tracers can be adjusted either using a "remote meter" as they call it or by using a cable (network patch cable) to RS485 adapter along with the EP solar station software
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 12:51   #21

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail the Caribeean during the winter 6 months, and put our boat up on the hard for the summer 6 months. We have 4-85watt panels installed, running through a MPPT controller to the main house bank of 6 T-105s; we generally see 14-18 amps registering through the high sun hours in the winter. Everything is turned off, except the bilge pumps and alarm, when we leave her for the summer. The first year we left all 4 panels connected, and the boat tender we hired to watch our boat reported that the batteries were..."boiling" (his words)! I didn't see it, but I talked him through disconnecting 3 of the 4 panels. He reported the batteries seemed much happier, and all was well. So, just as a precaution, now we disconnect 3 of the 4 panels each layover for the past 2 years....and all has been well! Don't quite understand if there really is a problem, but the fix (disconnecting 3 of the 4) is easy. FWIW
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 15:01   #22

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
The thread on putting a switch in the solar wiring got me thinking. If I'm putting the boat on the hard for a time, do I leave the solar hooked up and charging? Or disconnect it and the batteries? 6 month time frame.
Pete
I would leave the solar panel on it to keep it topped off. An AGM battery will lose 1 to 3% of its charge each month. A lead acid battery will lose more. I've had some battery dealers tell me 5% loss of charge per month is to be expected.

Keeping you batteries topped off will extend their life. Additionally you can keep a bilge pump connected and reduce the likelihood that any leaks will flood your sole.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 16:41   #23

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Think reducing the number of 'in use' solar panels in storage has merit. It will reduce damage if one of the Battery cells shorts. It also has advantage that 'out of use' panels can be covered to give UV and mechanical protection.
My last panels came with M&F connectors these could be used to enable easy disconnection and reconnection. I'd prefer 'out of use' panels shorted to protect the M&F connectors. But have no idea if 'out of use' are better stored shorted or open circuit, if the covering was lost.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 23:05   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

I leave mine hooked up and connected during winter - about 4 months and no snow issues, but not had any problem.
PeaceLoveMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 02:09   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

I left my own boat often and did nothing to the solar setup, the regulator regulates, I never had a problem.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:16   #26

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
The thread on putting a switch in the solar wiring got me thinking. If I'm putting the boat on the hard for a time, do I leave the solar hooked up and charging? Or disconnect it and the batteries? 6 month time frame.
Pete
What type of batteries do you have and how long are you going to be away from the boat?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:27   #27

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
What type of batteries do you have and how long are you going to be away from the boat?
6 x 6v GC2 flooded golf cart batteries (645 amp hours)
3 x 100w panels in series
I could easily take 2 panels offline and have only i panel charging if any advantage?
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:28   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

How long away?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:45   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
My last panels came with M&F connectors these could be used to enable easy disconnection and reconnection. I'd prefer 'out of use' panels shorted to protect the M&F connectors. But have no idea if 'out of use' are better stored shorted or open circuit, if the covering was lost.
I had my panels installed but not connected to anything for at least a year, I do not believe an open circuit causes them any harm at all
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:46   #30

Boat: Catalina 42

6 months
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, solar