Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2008, 14:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Storing bikes on a boat.

Will my bikes survive on board if I store them below deck in a travel bag or case...transporting them between the boat and shore on my dinghy?

Something like one of these.

Or should I spend the extra $$$...hmm looking at those prices it may actually cost less...and get pelican cases for them.

PLEASE, don't recommend a folding bike. I refuse to trade my Trek roadie for one for one of those, as I still plan on doing some BIG rides.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 15:49   #2
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Will my bikes survive on board if I store them below deck in a travel bag or case...transporting them between the boat and shore on my dinghy?

Something like one of these.

Or should I spend the extra $$$...hmm looking at those prices it may actually cost less...and get pelican cases for them.

PLEASE, don't recommend a folding bike. I refuse to trade my Trek roadie for one for one of those, as I still plan on doing some BIG rides.

One of those soft travel bags is what I am thinking of useing for the storage of my bike when I get to cruising someday.

As for the dingy trip I don't know..... but don't know that the bike assembled in the dingy is any better. We can't be inventing the wheel here someone must do this and needs to pipe in.

Your right about those folding bikes I can not see myself with one of those!

I do not know what you mean by a pelican case??? What's that?
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Go to bikefriday.com. they build folding bikes that you can ride for miles. I regularly do 15 mile rides on my NWT. They are real bikes that just happen to fold into a small space.

A canvas back should be fine for storing your bike and getting it ashore in the dinghy. You might want to put floor boards in the dinghy so the bike isn't sitting in bilge water.

You might consider buying a bike with good components but poor aesthetics. Usually can find a decent bike for under $200 that will ride and perform well. That way you won't be heart broken if it begins to corrode after a dunking or just from living on a boat.

A hard case will take up a lot of space and be awkward to load and offload. More power to you if yoy have the room on your boat.
Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 18:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
One of those soft travel bags is what I am thinking of useing for the storage of my bike when I get to cruising someday.

As for the dingy trip I don't know..... but don't know that the bike assembled in the dingy is any better. We can't be inventing the wheel here someone must do this and needs to pipe in.

Your right about those folding bikes I can not see myself with one of those!

I do not know what you mean by a pelican case??? What's that?
Yeah, I was actually surprised that I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

Pelican, Storm, there are a few other manufacturers that slip my mind right now make heavy duty water tight plastic cases. Large gasket around the lid, pressure relief valve. Based on what I paid for a few of them for dive gear and cameras a few years back, they may actually cost less than one of those hard bike cases.
Old 25-11-2008, 18:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Go to bikefriday.com. they build folding bikes that you can ride for miles. I regularly do 15 mile rides on my NWT. They are real bikes that just happen to fold into a small space.

A canvas back should be fine for storing your bike and getting it ashore in the dinghy. You might want to put floor boards in the dinghy so the bike isn't sitting in bilge water.

You might consider buying a bike with good components but poor aesthetics. Usually can find a decent bike for under $200 that will ride and perform well. That way you won't be heart broken if it begins to corrode after a dunking or just from living on a boat.

A hard case will take up a lot of space and be awkward to load and offload. More power to you if yoy have the room on your boat.
Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35.
Problem is 15 miles is a short ride. I'm planning on doing some half and metric centuries.

The dingy will most likely be a zodiac with a wood floor.

Storage isn't a problem. Right now it's just me and the boat is going to be a Gemini. One of those rear berths is plenty of room for 2 bikes and the case with my camera housing.

As much as it may be a PITA, I'd prefer to do a little extra work if it means I get to continue riding my good bike.
Old 26-11-2008, 03:38   #6

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
A lot of old salts just buy a ballon-tire bomber at a local pawnshop and dump it when they leave port. Personally. I walk as far as my arthritis lets me go.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 04:13   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Most people dont like folding bikes cause of the small frames and small wheels.

You may want to look at Montague Bikes UK
Old 26-11-2008, 04:51   #8
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Most people dont like folding bikes cause of the small frames and small wheels.

You may want to look at Montague Bikes UK

Montaque makes for the military a folding bike for a paratrooper to jump out of a plane with....Cool! A little pricy but a full size mountain bike with all off the shelf componets. A folding bike I might consider if I was in the market for one.

I feel my KHS off road bike disassembled will work for what I have in mind....it is still that dingy ride to and from in rough wheather that has me worried.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 07:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Guys let me repeat: "I don't want a folding bike!"

I have a really nice carbon road bike that I've done and plan on continuing to do 50+ mile rides on. I also have a mountain bike that carried me from Albuquerque to Salt Lake a few years back.

I'm not willing to part with either of those bikes right now, and although the cases are big, I do have the room to store them.

The only question I have is, will they be safe in a soft bike bag or case or would I have to go with Pelican or similar water/air tight case?
Old 26-11-2008, 08:01   #10

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Unless your bikes are all aluminum, stainless and plastic, they're going to rust. That's why people usually don't have "good" bikes on board. Stash'em in something watertight to get them to shore, but if they're exposed to the ambient shoreline marine environment for very long, they're probably still going to rust a bit no matter what you do.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 08:15   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty28 View Post
Unless your bikes are all aluminum, stainless and plastic, they're going to rust. That's why people usually don't have "good" bikes on board. Stash'em in something watertight to get them to shore, but if they're exposed to the ambient shoreline marine environment for very long, they're probably still going to rust a bit no matter what you do.
True, but even without living on a boat, exposure to the shoreline marine environment will eventually cause rust, and I already ride my bike along the shore anyway. Even if you're nowhere near the ocean exposure to rain will cause rust.

That can't be avoided other than just not riding the bike.

My primary concern is storage on the boat. As long as the case is air tight they should be fine.
Old 27-11-2008, 03:46   #12

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
..snip
My primary concern is storage on the boat. As long as the case is air tight they should be fine.
yep that is true and a light spray of silicone will ensure they remain in excellent working condition.

i've found that the better looking the bicycle the more likely it is to be borrowed and soon came to the realisation that it was far more economical to buy a used bike every few months than bother with storage onshore. i'm still well in front and have a $50 bike pinched in most ports, most of the deserted islands that i've enjoyed would not suit a bike, the countries? its an immense benefit to whoever pinches it and i would rather use the space onboard for other things.

i live on a yacht to go cruising, not bike riding
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 06:43   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You will have to deal with rust and corrosion no matter what you store them in. The ride ashore in the dinghy will often be a wet one and assembling on the beach will expose it to salt air much more than stowage in the cabin. Go with the least expensive and least intrusive while stowed in the cabin.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 18:07   #14

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
I've always had at least 1 mountain bike aboard, I'm just ordering my 5th. None have been folding, just 18" frame, 26" wheel regular bikes. i keep them in the 1/4 berth in zippered bags with 1/4" plywood backing. Take the wheels, pedals, seat and handlebars off. The bike will stack in a pile about 20 X 40 X9". That's the size of the bag, then put tie straps with fastex clips or something around it so you can cinch it down. Corrosion is about the same as on shore. Good luck George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 18:53   #15

Boat: 44 footer
Folding Travel Bikes using S and S Machine Bicycle Torque Couplings™

Get your bike modified with those...

I finally just bit the bullet and bought a west marine folder. They are on sale for 199 at the moment, and I picked up a 20 dollar off coupon at the Annapolis boat show. Kind of clunky compared to my Bianchi, but hey... I'm not going to take the gear to go with my bike, so no sense holding the boat bike to the same standards as the roadie.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote