Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 13:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 701 23ft - Panache
Storing a 23' Sailing Boat

have just purchased a 23ft hunter 701 and will be getting it lifted out of its sea mooring, trailered and hauled across to an inshore marina for the winter. I will be working on it particularly the electrics and the cabin outfitted. It will obviously demasted for the haulage. Could I remast it and rerig in and keep it on the trailer over the winter so I can work on the mast mounted lights, vhf and areonometer.

Would there be any risks to it being on a trailer and fully rigged and masted.

CJ
pinnache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 13:33   #2

Yes, more windage. Also how are you planning on working on all that stuff while the mast is up? I wouldn't go up a mast on a small boat like that in a trailer or cradle.

Everything you want to work on can be tested while the stick is down, except the annemometer (and that can be approximated). Connect the wiring with jumpers or whatever while the stick is down.
Old 13-09-2010, 14:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I second that emotion...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 23:12   #4

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Are you in a part of the world where heavy snow and ice loads or high winds are likely while the boat is on the trailer? Though I suppose you could use ground stakes or other expedients to secure the boat to the ground. You might also want to be sure that any steps that go to your boarding ladder or up the side of the hull are secure so you don't so much risk falling onto a hard driveway or such.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 11:58   #5

Boat: Hunter 701 23ft - Panache
storing the boat

hi folks and thanks for your replies. The boat is on an axled trailer with a keel and four hull supports. the boat yard is heavily stoned. I plan to when in situ jack up the trailer and remove the wheels and set the trailer onto 9" block at each of the trailer corners and at the hitch point. Any ladder used to get into the boat will be placed against the baot and then removed when not in use. (or i may make a rope ladder and secure inside the cockpit)

CJ
(SeaJay)
pinnache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 14:03   #6

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Be a good time to consider a swim ladder up the stern. My Ranger 28 has one and it is the best way to get in and out while in it's cradle. You still need a step ladder to get up to that but nothing is leaning against the boat.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 16:23   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
The reason I asked about the ladder is that I once had a friend fall off a Catalina 27 while it was parked on the trailer near a boat ramp. The ladder was simply leaning against the side and was not secured. Having a bad fall onto concrete ten miles from the nearest ambulance was not particularly fun for Bobbie. She had multiple fractures and was out of commission for a few months.

I do like your plans to make sure the trailer is well supported. If you are in a cold climate, a boom tent or similar will probably help shed snow and ice and maybe make it easier to keep the boat warm when you're working on it.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote