Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Storing a Boat in Asia

I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere safe to store a boat for 9 months in Asia. Australia, Thailand, and Singapore seem to only allow a boat to stay for 6 months. Does anyone have any ideas?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:11   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere safe to store a boat for 9 months in Asia. Australia, Thailand, and Singapore seem to only allow a boat to stay for 6 months. Does anyone have any ideas?
Danga Bay Marina, Johore Baru, Malaysia. Short bus trip to Singapore, marina to downtown Singapore incl customs etc 1.5 hours.

It was free when we were there late last year,. but now I would be expecting a fee.

Goood area, no security problems.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:40   #3

Thanks Mark. The officials do not mind people keeping a boat there for nine months without paying import fees?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49   #4

Boat: Tayana 48
Hi, Charlie...
You may want to look in to the Australian rules again. We were just there, and upon checking in, they stated on the documents that our boat could remain in-country, duty-free, for up to 3 years. Approvals were needed every year, but could be re-newed twice (for a total of said 3 years). Renewing could be done via internet.
Our personal visas were only granted for 3 months, but the boat was good for much longer.
HIH,
John
Old 03-06-2010, 12:11   #5

Thanks John:
I just looked at one source and that was Noonsite and they had listed the rules as 6 month max. Thanks for the up to date info. Did you have any of the problems that people have described such as the call before you arrive or the bottom paint problems?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 03-06-2010, 13:01   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Thanks Mark. The officials do not mind people keeping a boat there for nine months without paying import fees?

No fees.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 13:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No fees.
I like that!!

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 03-06-2010, 14:34   #8

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah
This post got me thinking. Can you just bring your boat across into another country for a day or so and return?? Kind of like a visa run thing? I'm planning on buying a boat in Thailand (USA Flagged) and would be hopefully keeping her there almost full time..
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 14:57   #9

Boat: Tayana 48
Quote:
Did you have any of the problems that people have described such as the call before you arrive or the bottom paint problems?
No issues with bottom paint. We know of several other cruisers who also checked-in to Australia last year, nobody had issues with quarantine, though they do a fairly thorough inspection (sea-strainer, etc). I'd make sure you scrub the bottom before beginning your passage to Oz (or to anywhere, for that matter...the reduced drag/ increased speed is well worth it).
As for customs/ immigration, again no issues, and indeed very courteous and professional, but MAKE SURE you abide by their rule that you notify them several days prior to arrival. This can be done electronically, by fax, etc, but do get them the required form. Then, 48 hours before actually entering their waters, communicate via radio with them. This *should* keep them happy. And believe me, you want them to be happy!
Caveat...Things are pretty pricey there...you may want to do some research before tying up for the season.
John

Edit...There is a mandated charge of $330 australian dollars for the quarantine "service"
Old 03-06-2010, 16:51   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
+1 on Malaysia. In Thailand you will be able to extend the visa up to 2 years if work is being done on it. It is not unknown for boats to take a "virtual trip" to Langkawi to extend the visa even further. Malaysia is cheaper and easier though.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 02:49   #11

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
The hardstand at Rebak Marina is also an option - they have a travel lift, it's safe and very reasonable, particularly if you're paying in advance. It's also very easy to get to the airport and I stand to be corrected, but the boat can stay for 1 year.... Danga Bay may very well be free, but personally we would not leave our boat in the water for 9 months!
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:29   #12

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Forward View Post
The hardstand at Rebak Marina is also an option
That's where we are now and I agree with FF that it is a good place to store a boat. In addition Noel, who runs the chandlery there, will keep an eye on the boat for a reasonable fee.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 03:34   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Hyde Far East
Port Bonbonon in sth negros philippines is a natural harbour and below the typhoon belt where many cruisng sailors leave their boats at anchor for extended periods ... subic bay has a hard standing at watercraft ventures which also has good rates ... philippines does not care how long you keep your boat there ...
Hyde Far East is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia