Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2017, 18:14   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
SmartPlugs no longer have thermostat?

Planning to replace older, not great looking (although not torched) 30A shore power cord, planning on going with the Smartplug system as it seems much more robust (if MaineSail believes in it I'm generally on board).

Question is, seems all the ones for sale online state they have no thermostat... I found the 200 degree thermal cutoff thermostat in the Smartplug itself to be one of the attractions to the design, anyone know why they don't build them with a thermostat anymore?

Still seems like such a superior connection (at least on the boat side) that I'll go with it, just curious why that feature isn't around anymore.

-- Bass
Old 13-08-2017, 18:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: SmartPlugs no longer have thermostat?

Possibly unneeded? If in fact they do have so much surface area then they shouldn't overheat.
However I m of the belief that heat comes not so much from surface area but from high resistance, in this case corrosion.
I have never had an issue with shorepower cords, but I keep them greasy with silicone grease.
For the record I have a smart plug myself, got dipped in the water for just a second, but that killed the light.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 21:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post

Question is, seems all the ones for sale online state they have no thermostat... I found the 200 degree thermal cutoff thermostat in the Smartplug itself to be one of the attractions to the design, anyone know why they don't build them with a thermostat anymore?

-- Bass

Possibly related comment from Maine Sail http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/i...rt_plug&page=4

Starting soon the SmartPlug will no longer use a thermal breaker. The ABYC was giving them a hard time about the "auto-resetting" thermal switch so they decided to remove it rather than battle the ABYC on the subject of the thermal switch. 50A units never had it anyway.
tek-noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek-noid View Post
Possibly related comment from Maine Sail Shore Power Cords - SmartPlug vs. 1938 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Starting soon the SmartPlug will no longer use a thermal breaker. The ABYC was giving them a hard time about the "auto-resetting" thermal switch so they decided to remove it rather than battle the ABYC on the subject of the thermal switch. 50A units never had it anyway.
There you go... must have missed that in my latest read through. Good to see committee think save us from some innovation

Thanks.

-- Bass
Old 14-08-2017, 05:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

On a related note, does anyone have a comparison between the SmartPlug technology and the Marineco EEL? EEL Shorepower | marinco

They appear to be just like the standard 1938 NEMA 30-amp design, but with a different locking mechanism rather than that ring that always cross-threads or breaks. I would guess that the same design flaw of minimal contact area would still be there.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 06:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
On a related note, does anyone have a comparison between the SmartPlug technology and the Marineco EEL? EEL Shorepower | marinco

They appear to be just like the standard 1938 NEMA 30-amp design, but with a different locking mechanism rather than that ring that always cross-threads or breaks. I would guess that the same design flaw of minimal contact area would still be there.
In trying to do some research that was same conclusion I came to... I have always been diligent about threading the clamp ring on so I figure with the ring on I'm in more or less the same place as the Marinco, same minimal contact with the old style design.
Old 14-08-2017, 06:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post

We have an EEL, its fine, better than a ring, but not even close to as nice as the SmartPlug. Its just a better ring but doesn't fix the fundamental problem with the standard plug, poor conductor contact area.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 07:10   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1

MaineSail points out (in his article) that the Smartplug is primarily US manufactured. Is this also the case for Marinco's latest cordsets?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:02   #9

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

It appears that Smart plug cables are the only ones using tinned wire.

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 09:59   #10

Boat: Coast 30

The vessel that I bought and am rebuilding had a Marineco shore power plug that turned black and melted the plastic Exposing bare metal.. I believe it could have burnt the boat down which is all made of wood and epoxy resin.

So I changed all the AC system over to Smart plug and had the entire system rewired in tinned marine grade wire.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 10:04   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Bass,

I switched to Smartplugs 2+ years ago and haven't had any issues since.

I have 50A inlets, so never had the thermal cut-off option. Recent research by a friend looking for 30A Smartpluug revealed they removed the thermal cutoff from the 30A cord [Or more accurately no longer mention it in the literature...]

If you are interested in more details about our converting to Smartplugs and why, see this post.

Best wishes sorting out what best suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 14-08-2017, 13:07   #12

The SmartPlug is neat, but it is only one end of the connection. Marinas/etc will all have regular plugs on the other end. So I don't really get the value.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:12   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
The SmartPlug is neat, but it is only one end of the connection. Marinas/etc will all have regular plugs on the other end. So I don't really get the value.

Allan.

The "value" is that the boat side is less likely to get hot. And shore ends tend not to get dunked in salt water as much as the boat ends. If you put a smart plug on your boat end you will understand and never go back to the old twist lock plug.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:29   #14

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
It appears that Smart plug cables are the only ones using tinned wire.

jewt
I used a "retrofit" SmartPlug to replace the old twist-lock socket (boat end) of my standard 50' Marinco cord. The wire was tinned.

It was likely an older cord, do perhaps Marinco used to be tinned but not new ones?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post

Allan.
When (not if) the arcing happens, it will be at a connection not in the middle of the wire. The shore side is connected to a metal box, far away from my precious boat. Frankly, I don't care if there's a four-alarm fire up there as long as it doesn't spread!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug