Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 13:06   #16

Italian motorboat to FLORIDA : ?!?!?!?

I'm kind of new to boats but I think I can help you to understand.
All you appliances are 230V if you change your main power you will need to replace all your appliances as well. And if you change to 110V to get the same power you'll have to increase the current (example: if you have something with 2300w @ 230V = 10A, same 2300w @ 110V +20A) and that is the issue.
You cannot just increase it to 20A without change all the wiring on your boat. Check if the price he gave you include rewire the whole boat. If so probably he gave you a right price.
I would consider just use an inverter from 230V to 110V and include new wiring for the power outlets and small appliances that you have. With that you should have a 12V panel (might also have a 24V DC for the boat), a 230V for major appliances and 110V for small ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nousbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 18:11   #17

Re: Italian motorboat to FLORIDA : ?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousbru View Post
I'm kind of new to boats but I think I can help you to understand.
All you appliances are 230V if you change your main power you will need to replace all your appliances as well. And if you change to 110V to get the same power you'll have to increase the current (example: if you have something with 2300w @ 230V = 10A, same 2300w @ 110V +20A) and that is the issue.
You cannot just increase it to 20A without change all the wiring on your boat. Check if the price he gave you include rewire the whole boat. If so probably he gave you a right price.
I would consider just use an inverter from 230V to 110V and include new wiring for the power outlets and small appliances that you have. With that you should have a 12V panel (might also have a 24V DC for the boat), a 230V for major appliances and 110V for small ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks

And no issue with the different frequency ?
cala86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 19:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cala86 View Post
Number 2 is the question

Number 1 is an easy fix

I often use american devices, appliances etc at my home in italy, just using adapters
A lot of stuff with a power supply is 100 to 250V, as it's easier to make one for the whole world. Then a simple adapter will work. On the other hand, something like a hair dryer will give you a big surprise if you were to plug a 110v one into 240v. I can vouch for this as my girlfriend did this last year, and the hair dryer made a fairly good impression of a jet engine, until it burnt out after a couple of seconds.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:56   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Hi cala86 sorry for the delay...

I've got a Euro 240v/50hz boat in the US, so I have some insight... There's another current thread here with advice all over the map, some good and some horribly dangerous...

Most motors handle the 50 to 60 hz change without any ill effects, some simply won't... Hard start stuff like AC and refrigeration compressors...

You can connect to any shore power and run your current electrical system with an isolation transformer... It just needs to be big enough for your loads...

Charles Marine 12 kVA International Universal IsoTransformer

capish?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:17   #20

Grazie

Thats a solution !!!!

And very inexpensive !!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Hi cala86 sorry for the delay...

I've got a Euro 240v/50hz boat in the US, so I have some insight... There's another current thread here with advice all over the map, some good and some horribly dangerous...

Most motors handle the 50 to 60 hz change without any ill effects, some simply won't... Hard start stuff like AC and refrigeration compressors...

You can connect to any shore power and run your current electrical system with an isolation transformer... It just needs to be big enough for your loads...

Charles Marine 12 kVA International Universal IsoTransformer

capish?

That is an isolation transformer. Doesn't the output depend on the input? Are you saying that it converts?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You cannot charter an Italian flagged boat in the US. You will have to get US federal documentation which means you have to be a US citizen or you can set up a sham US corporation. You will also have to get a Jones Act waiver for charter on any foreign made boat.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:49   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You cannot charter an Italian flagged boat in the US. You will have to get US federal documentation which means you have to be a US citizen or you can set up a sham US corporation. You will also have to get a Jones Act waiver for charter on any foreign made boat.

I'm not an expert, but I believe you can only charter an Italian-BUILT boat in the US if you take 6 or fewer guests at a time.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:49   #24

Quote:
If i hire a licensed captain....

And/or give the boat to a charter company ?

Of course the boat will be dismissed as italian flagged....and re-registered in the Us
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Grazie

Thats a solution !!!!

And very inexpensive !!
You're welcome my friend!
Let me know when you get here... We'll have a drink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
That is an isolation transformer. Doesn't the output depend on the input? Are you saying that it converts?
Won't convert frequency, but almost any in/out voltage combination... PLUS isolation... Lots of ways to convert frequency, but we are talking a bit more $$.... Couple more grand would do it...

Old 06-12-2014, 09:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I'm not an expert, but I believe you can only charter an Italian-built boat in the US if you take fewer than 6 guests at a time.
That regards the captain license requirements i think

Theres one for 6 or less guests

And one for more

But to be clear:

- i dont wanna charter it me myself, i dont want the captain license, i will hire a captain and/or i will assign the charter use of the boat to charter companies

- im not using it with the italian flag, once the boat is shipped we will dismiss the italian flag and cancel the registration there

And then register the boat here in the us
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I'm not an expert, but I believe you can only charter an Italian-BUILT boat in the US if you take 6 or fewer guests at a time.
I think so too... But my expertise is about as much... Certainly need a 6 pack skipper... No idea about the boat documentation requirements...

Old 06-12-2014, 12:41   #28

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
- i dont wanna charter it me myself, i dont want the captain license, i will hire a captain and/or i will assign the charter use of the boat to charter companies

- im not using it with the italian flag, once the boat is shipped we will dismiss the italian flag and cancel the registration there

And then register the boat here in the us
Only US citizens or US corporations can document which is the same as a federal registration and it has to be documented to charter it. And you still have to get a Jones Act waiver for a foreign made boat. The Jones Act prohibits foreign flagged vessels from engaging in commerce in the US. All these things can be done but it will cost some bucks and you will have to set up the corporation. Importing the boat is only 1.5% plus fees.
The captain or charter company is irrelevant.
Old 06-12-2014, 13:13   #29

Quote:
Only US citizens or US corporations can document which is the same as a federal registration and it has to be documented to charter it. And you still have to get a Jones Act waiver for a foreign made boat. The Jones Act prohibits foreign flagged vessels from engaging in commerce in the US. All these things can be done but it will cost some bucks and you will have to set up the corporation. Importing the boat is only 1.5% plus fees.
The captain or charter company is irrelevant.
Thanks
Many important informations

Can you all help me summarizing all expenses/upgrades/refitting costs needed ?!?:

- shipment: 15,000 - 25,000
- import: 1.5% of value
- electrical setup/conversion: 5.000 ?
- registration/flag: ?
- corporation: <1000 ?
- jones act: ?

What else ?
Old 21-12-2014, 11:35   #30

Additional infos ?

Tags
florida, motor