Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 13:13   #121

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Ideal Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It would be really cool to be able to get both propulsion and generating out of the aux engine.

Does anyone know a system which will do what Happy describes here?
Actually, yes, I DO. I'ts a thing called a TSSV. Or Twin Screw Sailing Vessel. I understand catamarans are a derivative.
Why not? In for a penny....
Bl :rolleyes
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:43   #122

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Just an idea.. or two.. I would concentrate just in 24V DC.. forget about 12V.. almost everything is compatible 12/24V (specially new electronic)..
Second question.. beside a car-type engine.. what about a small turbo generator??
I found a couple companies producing from 9 Kw up.. turbine have few moving parts and are designed to run 24/7.. just my 0.2 cent..
I'm in same boat right now.. undecided yet if we something "off the shelf" or go with a custom type boat... decisions, decisions...
Old 10-01-2016, 14:11   #123

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
That's true , they ask redicolous price for just a bigger alternator...

Brianlara, get it maybe, like give pearl to pork? Waste something good by giving it to who can't understand or estimate it?
Steph' "give pearl to pork"...my wonderful Dad used to say.. "Son, you can't make a silk purse out of a Sows ear"
Old 10-01-2016, 14:38   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
Just an idea.. or two.. I would concentrate just in 24V DC.. forget about 12V.. almost everything is compatible 12/24V (specially new electronic)..
Second question.. beside a car-type engine.. what about a small turbo generator??
Of course. My present boat is 24v and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Quote:
I found a couple companies producing from 9 Kw up.. turbine have few moving parts and are designed to run 24/7.. just my 0.2 cent..
I'm in same boat right now.. undecided yet if we something "off the shelf" or go with a custom type boat... decisions, decisions...
A turbine? How would you marinize that? Run the exhaust? Separate fuel tank? Where would you buy jet fuel? Noise?

Hmmm, I don't actually find it hard to understand why no one uses these on boats

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:14   #125

Quote:

Me too, big 24 v battery pack, the only things is that for beta marine get 24 volt in stead of 24 is about 1500 euro more (while english other brand's dealer make it for free or max 500 euro)
Interesting...but you need what fuel? kerosene? jet a1? gasoline, diesel?

Any brands plz?
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:17   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Steph' "give pearl to pork"...my wonderful Dad used to say.. "Son, you can't make a silk purse out of a Sows ear"

LOL

We should make a book of saying
Old 10-01-2016, 15:19   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it will pour and burn, a turbine will run on it.
Diesel is fine

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:23   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You don't run the gen for three minutes making coffee, you use your inverter for all of those kinds of loads.
You only use the gen for long term high amp loads like air conditioning for example, making water, or charging batteries.
I don't see any need to crank the generator that won't have it running for a couple of hours min.
But since AC to DC are is easily converted now, I don't see any real advantage to a DC gen myself? Turns out my big long term loads are all AC anyway.
Which is not to say School bus alternators, I mean a stand alone unit.
I started out myself thinking huge battery bank, huge inverter and DC gen myself, but ended up with a standard AC gen., much smaller that what is being suggested here, as I have a much smaller boat, and have no desire at all for higher Latitudes.

Mh,

if there is wind the wind generator makes enought current to drive air condition...washing machines just during day, if not sunny day, or not enought wind i can use the back up engine (in neutral) with the 200 amp alt, at the rpm i want/need...1000 rpm for cheap washing machines for some hours, 2000 rpm (4.000 at the alternator) for oven, hair dryeir and hot water and domestic heating, when the big load is over slow down, cool down, turn it of.

It's true all the big load are AC, for this i thought about an UPS inverter/battery charger with an ordinary AC genset..but for a bit more money and the same space you can get a second propulsion engine, second prop shaft and second propeller...
Old 10-01-2016, 15:25   #129

Quote:
If it will pour and burn, a turbine will run on it.
Diesel is fine

? do you have any brand to provide plz?

I know RC helicopter turbine, but about 6.000 euro for 5 kw, add a bit of gearbox reduction and ad a big alternator on it, ok for thermal exchange of burned gas for hot domestic water's boiler
Old 10-01-2016, 15:33   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I disagree on the AC in preference to DC for anyone interested in getting off the grid and living cleaner.

For a condomaran running air, massive home fridges and other energy inefficient widgets the need for an always running AC generator is obvious.

We have a kubota DC generator. Its simple, very efficient, quiet and easy to maintain. We have ditched all the AC loads except for the tv and laptops which we now run from small inverters. These days there are so many devices that dont need AC.

We rarely use our 2500W inverter now. Only intermittent loads like a hair dryer, iron, toaster or the odd non cordless power tool.

The plus is that with everything running from DC we dont have the AC to DC inefficiencies which add up significantly. We run a technology startup all on DC and even a TIG from the inverter at no more than 10% duty cycle.

We're now in a position to add some more solar so we can heat hot water. Once we do this we wont need to run our little gennie daily.

Not being dependent on shore power gives us much more freedom to find those great little anchorages that are much more pleasant than having to deal with poorly run marinas.

We cook a lot, daily, use a french press and dont have an icemaker. We've increased our propane capacity which now gives us 6 month of on board energy capacity for all our living needs.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

This is what i have in my mind, please tell me more about it.

Wich kubota genset? homemade or a marinized engine with a big alternator? how many amps?

Wich kind of battery? agm,ecc? ah? all 24 v i guess

Wich brand of refrigerator/freezer? waeco?

Wich boat do you have? 12 v engine starting system?

How many kg of propane do you need to live 6 months?

Sorry for the many question but i really like the off the grid living idea
Old 10-01-2016, 16:14   #131

Quote:
Mh,

if there is wind the wind generator makes enought current to drive air condition...washing machines just during day, if not sunny day, or not enought wind i can use the back up engine (in neutral) with the 200 amp alt, at the rpm i want/need...1000 rpm for cheap washing machines for some hours, 2000 rpm (4.000 at the alternator) for oven, hair dryeir and hot water and domestic heating, when the big load is over slow down, cool down, turn it of.

It's true all the big load are AC, for this i thought about an UPS inverter/battery charger with an ordinary AC genset..but for a bit more money and the same space you can get a second propulsion engine, second prop shaft and second propeller...
Yes Steph'. It would be a twin screw sailing vessel.
Old 10-01-2016, 16:28   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
? do you have any brand to provide plz?

I know RC helicopter turbine, but about 6.000 euro for 5 kw, add a bit of gearbox reduction and ad a big alternator on it, ok for thermal exchange of burned gas for hot domestic water's boiler

Pratt & Whitney PT6-A, T-34. 750 SHP about $400K US. About 50 GPH for about 500 SHP.

Turbines make a lot of sense when weight / size are the most important consideration, like helicopters for instance.
Make no sense that I see for a boat, unless of course your an open class Hydro

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 16:41   #133

Quote:
Pratt & Whitney PT6-A, T-34. 750 SHP about $400K US. About 50 GPH for about 500 SHP.

Turbines make a lot of sense when weight / size are the most important consideration, like helicopters for instance.
Make no sense that I see for a boat, unless of course your an open class Hydro

Thanks i know that power/weight ratio turbine (especially at sea level are the best) but we are talking about a 5-10 kw genset...

P.s. i just get my 118 WallyPower...I would like to save on genset...

Joking...
Old 10-01-2016, 17:06   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a big boat because I'm old and like my comforts now. I spent my previous ocean life being uncomfortable. I have 2 mains and 2 15kw generators. Even on a big boat, I can't justify space or fuel for an extra main engine to run a generator. It will burn much more fuel than a properly sized light plant. Inverters, batteries, and alternators have come a long way in just a few years. So much that I plan on down sizing my generators to 6 & 10 kw. And the 10 is just courtesy when other boats are along side.
For main engine backup, the better plan have a main known for reliability and carry spare pumps, starter, or other parts that have a short life.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 17:15   #135

Quote:
LOL

We should make a book of saying
NOT here Steph.
Thread driftttt.

Tags
generator