Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2021, 05:46   #1

Dc Generator Polar Vs Fischer Panda

Hi All

I have almost completed my investigation and preparation for Converting my Catamaran to become hybrid setup with Electric engine’s. with 20Kwh
my question is the following Pro’s and Con’s for the Following models

Polar DC Generator 48V 8220Y-3TNV88 “Yanmar 3TNV88 “
Or
FISCHER PANDA AGT-DC 15000-48V PMS ”Kubota D1305”

Which weight and output are roughly the same and if I run them at 80% capacity I will generate enough charge within 2,5 hours to fully recharge my batteries?

So which model would you recommend and why

Nidnoi_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 12:07   #2

Boat: Knysna 500SE
Re: Dc Generator Polar Vs Fischer Panda

I am investigating the same for a new build and while I have found only negative info about Fischer Panda I cannot find any about Polar power. The worrying fact that Polar Power do not respond through any channel.
Old 29-03-2021, 12:08   #3

You need to do some research on the fisher-panda generator.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 13:04   #4

Well, I did some research and that is why I am trying to find alternatives. Unlike Diesel propulsion boats, where you can expect your generator to work 100-150 hours/year, I believe hybrid propulsion will require much more (I estimate x4 hours). During my cruising in the last 4 years, I met few FP owners and the common opinion was that you have to spend more hours maintaining it than the hours you get it working. Two of my cruiser friends finished dumping the FP out. Based on the available documentation, FP requires service every 100 hours and major refit after 4000 hours while NL, PP, and Kohler state service intervals every 500-1000 hours and an expected lifetime of 10,000-15,000 hours.
Old 29-03-2021, 16:14   #5
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Polar Generators have a good reputation for the equipment, customer relations, not so much. There equipment is used in US battle tanks. Give Dave DiQuinzio at Annapolis Hybrid Marine a call. He has broken the code with Polar Generators.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 21:04   #6

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Have a look at Eniquest DC generators. They do a Powermaker Cruise 12kW and 16kW. I've also heard someone who had a larger one (20kW I think).
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 22:54   #7

Hi i would think it would highly depends on what kind of sailer you , i used my engine "normal diesel " for roughly 200 hours which was mainly going in and out of the harbour plus to anchoring , while my generator ran the same , and i will.have battery capacity to roughly 3 hours at 4 knots if boat speed so expect a maximum if 200 hours a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
Well, I did some research and that is why I am trying to find alternatives. Unlike Diesel propulsion boats, where you can expect your generator to work 100-150 hours/year, I believe hybrid propulsion will require much more (I estimate x4 hours). During my cruising in the last 4 years, I met few FP owners and the common opinion was that you have to spend more hours maintaining it than the hours you get it working. Two of my cruiser friends finished dumping the FP out. Based on the available documentation, FP requires service every 100 hours and major refit after 4000 hours while NL, PP, and Kohler state service intervals every 500-1000 hours and an expected lifetime of 10,000-15,000 hours.
Old 29-03-2021, 22:55   #8

Will do some research on them thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Have a look at Eniquest DC generators. They do a Powermaker Cruise 12kW and 16kW. I've also heard someone who had a larger one (20kW I think).
Old 29-03-2021, 22:58   #9

I agree that is close to impossible to get any kind of contact with them , however managed to get some feedback from them and they said they are heavily backlogged , what size of generator are you looking for

I had a long talk with oceanvolt and they only use fischer panda..

But let's keep in contact if one of us gets a breakthrough
Quote:
I am investigating the same for a new build and while I have found only negative info about Fischer Panda I cannot find any about Polar power. The worrying fact that Polar Power do not respond through any channel.
Old 29-03-2021, 23:30   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
.... Based on the available documentation, FP requires service every 100 hours and major refit after 4000 hours while NL, PP, and Kohler state service intervals every 500-1000 hours and an expected lifetime of 10,000-15,000 hours.
My FP 12 volt 280 amps Genset (now 15 years old ) required maintenance every 50 hours which is perhaps why so many people had so many problems with them - especially if access was difficult and they needed an expensive marine engineer to do the work. They have packed so much into a small space which I suspect is why checks are needed so regularly. If you need a small genset then FP could be the better option.

FP also failed to give accurate advice on the installation of the water locks. My manual had one paragraph - the last manual I saw had 16 pages. Consequentially I had water enter the exhaust manifold when the boat healed on a starboard tack. I have had 3 replacement cylinder heads and valves. With FP's advice I cured the instal problem and they now have a new exhaust manifold that helps.

With kit like this - including a watermaker - you do need to be a keen DIYer or the maintenance costs can be very high. I have done all the work myself.

My FP is still working fine.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 02:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidnoi_V View Post
Hi i would think it would highly depends on what kind of sailer you , i used my engine "normal diesel " for roughly 200 hours which was mainly going in and out of the harbour plus to anchoring , while my generator ran the same , and i will.have battery capacity to roughly 3 hours at 4 knots if boat speed so expect a maximum if 200 hours a year
I would say that "what kind of sailor you" may influence but actually have very little impact. It matters where you sail, are you staying on anchor or in marinas (which are very rare in certain parts of the world), do you sail casually or do you you have to sail 3000 miles against wind and current (for example Red Sea). In hybrid boats, the generator becomes your main source of propulsion and you are critically dependent on it. So unless there is a stable reliable solution maybe hybrid is still premature.
Old 30-03-2021, 02:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidnoi_V View Post
I agree that is close to impossible to get any kind of contact with them , however managed to get some feedback from them and they said they are heavily backlogged , what size of generator are you looking for

I had a long talk with oceanvolt and they only use fischer panda..

But let's keep in contact if one of us gets a breakthrough
It's a new built with 2x24KW electric motors and the plan is to start with 2 x 18-20 KW DC Gensets or maybe start with one and increase to 2 after gaining a better understanding. I know that Oceanvolts use FP but that seems also due to limited choice.
Old 30-03-2021, 08:35   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
... FP also failed to give accurate advice on the installation of the water locks. My manual had one paragraph - the last manual I saw had 16 pages. Consequentially I had water enter the exhaust manifold when the boat healed on a starboard tack. I have had 3 replacement cylinder heads and valves. With FP's advice I cured the instal problem and they now have a new exhaust manifold that helps...
Northern Lights has a great tech info’ paper, on the subject:
“Please don’t drown me”
PDF https://mavex.com/wp-content/themes/...t-Drown-Me.pdf

Video

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:36   #14

Quote:
It's a new built with 2x24KW electric motors and the plan is to start with 2 x 18-20 KW DC Gensets or maybe start with one and increase to 2 after gaining a better understanding. I know that Oceanvolts use FP but that seems also due to limited choice.
Send you a PM
Old 30-03-2021, 08:38   #15

Your link don't seems to be working and as fare as i know northern light don't make dc generator but they are great in AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Northern Lights has a great tech info’ paper, on the subject:
“Please don’t drown me”
PDF https://mavex.com/wp-content/themes/...t-Drown-Me.pdf

Video

Tags
Fischer Panda, generator