Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 08:42   #16

Re: Dc Generator Polar Vs Fischer Panda

Calculation for dc generator is between 40-50% of your engine kw but you can also add your battery pack in to , i have calculated that i will be able to recharge my battery pack in roughly 2 hours while i can sail at normal speed 4-5 knot depending on sea stakes which will then take me around 4-5 hours to drain my battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
It's a new built with 2x24KW electric motors and the plan is to start with 2 x 18-20 KW DC Gensets or maybe start with one and increase to 2 after gaining a better understanding. I know that Oceanvolts use FP but that seems also due to limited choice.
Nidnoi_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidnoi_V View Post
Your link don't seems to be working and as fare as i know northern light don't make dc generator but they are great in AC
It's not about the generator, but the engine's wet exhaust system.
Important Exhaust System Installation Information
If a generator set is equipped with a wet exhaust system, improper installation can fill up the engine with water, and cause severe engine damage.
Try this https://pdf4pro.com/view/important-e...on-420e98.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:56   #18

Boat: Knysna 500SE

Well, with my current conventional catamaran, if there is a need, with my 2 Yanmars, I can motor with 2 engines @ 10-12 Kt and there were cases I had to. I do not want to lose that with electric propulsion. hence with a Battery bank of ~24 KWH and a Generator of 20 KW I hope to maintain ~8-10Kn max speed for about 1 h and with 2 generators much longer. Cruising is another calculation since you need 10-14 KW to maintain 6-7 Kn
Old 30-03-2021, 08:59   #19

Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidnoi_V View Post
Your link don't seems to be working and as fare as i know northern light don't make dc generator but they are great in AC
NL do make DC generators for hybrid applications but its high voltage and >32KW
Old 29-08-2022, 15:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
I am investigating the same for a new build and while I have found only negative info about Fischer Panda I cannot find any about Polar power. The worrying fact that Polar Power do not respond through any channel.
Polar power has answered me via email and answers the phone. I am also investigating Polar vs FP as FP has failed to repair for months. Its not a big repair but getting them to answer and actually commit is challenging at best. We haven't made a decision yet but Polar is definitely more expensive.
still investigating options
Kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:45   #21

Our needs are quite different, but we installed a WhisperPower 4kW DC generator two years ago, and it has been flawless.

Worth a look. Permanent Magnet alternator for simplicity and efficiency, and medium speed (2500RPM) instead of 3600RPM. Kubota driver. What's not to like?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujoe View Post
Polar power has answered me via email and answers the phone. I am also investigating Polar vs FP as FP has failed to repair for months. Its not a big repair but getting them to answer and actually commit is challenging at best. We haven't made a decision yet but Polar is definitely more expensive.
still investigating options
Try this: NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, generator