Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2006, 08:39   #1

Need Help! Fischer Panda Generator

Boat just came off the hard. Had new bottom and transmission work done. Everything was runing fine before, don't know what happened.

Have a fischer panda generator. Replaced the blown fuse in back of panel, panel will switch on just for a second, then blow fuse again. The ground wire was connected to motor mount and was corroded, mechanic replaced ground wire and regrounded generator to battery. Have checked all wiring and everything seems to be good. Still blowing fuses.

Noticed when deisel is running we are drawing almost +60 amps don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
- Louisa May Alcott
Green BUT Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 12:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It's possible the 60A indicated load maybe telling you something. The actual load mybe far in excess of that, but the Alternator may bo able to ONLY supply 60A. Check all your batteries. One maybe dead or the entire bank maybe very very low or something along those lines. It maybe that the load is so high, the geny is overloaded and the fuse is rupturing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 12:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
It is virtually impossible to comment on your problem from the description that you have given. Recommend that you contact a qualified generator technician to look at your problem.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 06:30   #4

Had Yacht Power come out from St. Pete and stated board was fried on panel. Waiting to replace board until possible short is isolated on boat.
As far as the 60 amp reading goes, how do we check our batteries?

Sorry for the stupid questions. We are very new at this big boat thing and are having a brain overload with everything needed to be learned...
- Louisa May Alcott
Green BUT Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 07:32   #5
Eternal Member

Given that you are admitedly very green on this "big boat thing", and that you are having electrical problems which you don't understand, and given the complexity of marine electrical systems and the potential dangers for disaster (including fire and sinking, in addition to just frying equipment), I think you would be well advised to do two things:

1. step back a ways, put your efforts toward finding and hiring a qualified marine electrician to give your boat a thorough checkover; and

2. buy a primer on marine electrical systems, and begin reading immediately with the aim of learning enough so you'll be able to communicate effectively with the marine electrician when he makes his report.

Appropriate primers might include: Weems & Plath 12V Doctor's Practical Handbook

or the online reference:

http://www.islandnet.com/robb/marine.html
(also see reading list at end)

This is nothing to play with. And, if you take the piecemeal approach of just having a technician fix a particular thing you may be missing something very important. In the end that's gonna translate into Bx4: Big Boat Big Bucks.

Bill
WA6CCA
S/V Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 14:28   #6

Call Billy Vance at Halo Marine (727) 410-1511.

Know his stuff and won't rip you off.

Curtis
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 11:17   #7

What model Fischer Panda generator do you have?
sailordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Call Billy Vance at Halo Marine (727) 410-1511.

Know his stuff and won't rip you off.

Curtis
This is true! I am Billy's new business partner. I invested in his business because he is the best he is at what he does. Our company name has changed, and info on our company can be found at Florida Marine Associates Inc ...Please drop by and sign our guest book to get 10% off labor on your next job.
Jennifer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF Jennifer.
It’s always good to have professionals on board, especially those willing to share some of their technical expertise.
After reviewing the Commercial Parties section of the forum Rules http://www.cruisersforum.com/?page=rules, you may wish to seek commercial vendor status.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF Jennifer.
It’s always good to have professionals on board, especially those willing to share some of their technical expertise.
After reviewing the Commercial Parties section of the forum Rules http://www.cruisersforum.com/?page=rules, you may wish to seek commercial vendor status.
OK, thank you! I will check it out in a bit. I appreciate the warm welcome.
Jennifer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I have had two Fisher-Panda gensets and my impression is that they make good anchors. I spent 3 k on repairs on the last one bfore it blew its second head gasket and ran away till it froze up. The first one was replaced by the second owner after similar problems.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44   #12

Boat: MJM 50 Z
I too am on my second Fischer Panda. I would not be so hard though.
I got 9 years out of the first one and except for corrosion it would still be going strong.
They use different motors depending on the model genset. First one was a 6 KW with Kubota, second one 4.2 KW with Ferryman.
Weak points- external electrical box with capacitors and curcuit boards, don't let it get wet at ALL. It must be mounted in the proper orientation also or the toroids will tear loose.
This only applies to older units like my first one (vintage 1999), They used water cooling for the engine and generator section BUT the generator section was salt water cooled and the engine had a heat exchanger.
All new units are cooled with antifreze throughout then going through a common heat exchanger.
The good things about Pandas- they are small and light for the output and do not have to be de-rated when put into a sound enclosure.
The head gasket problem? Every diesel engine needs to have the head bolts re-torqued after the first 50 hrs and then periodicaly thereafter.

Get a Panda Tech to do the work!!!!
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:55   #13

Boat: Dean 5000 sailing catamaran
Re: Need Help! Fischer Panda Generator

Hi, I have a Fischer Panda 6kw generator and I'm trying to run a 2.2kw electric dive compressor from it, but it doesn't work. It runs for about 2 seconds than it stops.
Is it possible that the electric motor start up load is too much for the genset 6Kw generator???
What can I do? Is it possible to upgrade the capacitors in the generator for bigger ones?

Thanks,
Tamas
tomicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:44   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You may be able to add an inverter that will sync with the generator and allow your batteries to provide the added power for the inrush to the compressor.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06   #15

Boat: MJM 50 Z

You may have to shut off all other loads in order to start the compressor.
A refrigerator starting at the same time will shut everything down.

Check the current rating on the compressor and see if they rate the starting current, it can be double.

Make sure that the compressor is not under load while starting.

Check out the way your system is wired. Mine was also a 6 kw Panda and the AC output was sent through an inverter with a 30A breaker. The generator will put out much more than that but the limitation was the inverter.

Have fun.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, Fischer Panda