Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-06-2016, 14:46   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Asking for help modifying existing solar array for better performance

I've got 8 100W solar panels, the cheap flexible kind.
Dodger:
2 panels on starboard wired in series
2 panels on port wired in series
They connect under the dodger, and 1 pair of wires runs down to a bus bar that feeds the controller

Bimini:
2 panels on starboard wired in series
2 panels on port wired in series
They connect under the bimini, and 1 pair of wires runs down to a bus bar that feeds the controller

In the baja sun, with the sun almost at 90degrees these days, I still peak at around 30 amps, with an average daily charge of 2800wh.

After googling, reading, etc, I decided on this approach:
Run a second wire down on the dodger and bimini, so I can isolate port and starboard series pairs.
Setup a second 30amp controller, so I have a MPPT 30A on port and a MPPT 60A on starboard. Since the top is not flat, it's kinda rounded, I figure even in full sun with no obstructions, one side will be aimed slightly better at the sun than the other.

I figure the best option would be to run each pair in series to a controller, but I didn't want to fork out the money for 3 20A controllers, since the panels are 5.5amps each I figured 10A controllers would be too close for comfort.

Eventually I see me replacing the cheap flexible panels with better built glass panels, but until that happens I'm trying to get the most I can without spending too much $$$, since I'm out of work.

Any advice?

Thanks!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar