Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21   #16

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Alternator Belt Producing Excessive Black Dust

A64 I've not used the Balmar one but I installed this one, very similar http://www.electromaax.com/yanmar-be...nator-bracket/

It came with the serpentine belt replacement kit I bought from them. Works great, as does the kit. I am spinning a 180amp alternator. No dust and easy to tension. The PO had a single vee drive belt on the alternator, not properly aligned, spewing dust like crazy before I made the improvement. Very satisfied with the serpentine kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00   #17

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Alternator Belt Producing Excessive Black Dust

The number of degrees of belt contact on the alternator pulley makes a difference. Maybe a bigger puller will reduce alternator speed and load.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Larger pulley on the alt will reduce the RPM, but to keep the charge up , won't the regulator increase the field winding current producing more heat, but you have slowed down the fan on the Alt?
Plus now you have to run the engine at a higher RPM to get the alt charging.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
A64 I've not used the Balmar one but I installed this one, very similar Yanmar Belt Tensioner and Second Alternator Bracket

It came with the serpentine belt replacement kit I bought from them. Works great, as does the kit. I am spinning a 180amp alternator. No dust and easy to tension. The PO had a single vee drive belt on the alternator, not properly aligned, spewing dust like crazy before I made the improvement. Very satisfied with the serpentine kit.

This one is so expensive, I think I would make my own from a turnbuckle first,
glad it works though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47   #20

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Yes I agree, I wouldn't have shelled out the $$ for one. It was included in the serpentine kit I bought so I installed it. Works great. No more prying with a screwdriver while trying to tension the belt only to find it's too tight or too loose allowing me to curse and repeat!

Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Has anyone mentioned that it is important to get a belt that is angled the same as the pulleys. Also important that both pulleys have the same seating angle for the belt.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:01   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Larger pulley on the alt will reduce the RPM, but to keep the charge up , won't the regulator increase the field winding current producing more heat, but you have slowed down the fan on the Alt?
Plus now you have to run the engine at a higher RPM to get the alt charging.
You are correct in all points. Sometimes a compromise can be the answer, especially if you battery usage doesn't always require high return amps.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:49   #23

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Snore's right.

It's called

Small Engine Mode - discussion with link to the picture of the toggle switch: Alternator heat, Regulator Controls, Small Engine Mode

With a Balmar external regulator, you can also use Amp Manager.

RTFM.
Indeed. I put a switch in mine so I can switch the SEM on and off.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Utyak

How do you use the boat? How important is the full 100 Amps?

I have the Balmar smart regulator. Putting a jumper wire across two terminals reduces the alternator 50%. This eliminated my belt dust.

So if you have a lot of solar, or like me usually day sail, run the alternator at 50%. When doing a trip, when anchored, I remove the jumper and run 100 amps.

It is amazing how much "happier" the 24HP engine seems to sound when it it not turning the full 100 amps.
I don't know this regulator, but wonder if you could put in a potentiometer or rotary multi switch with different resistors to give 50, 60, 70, 80% settings?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:28   #25

Double check alignment. Put a straight edge across the face of the alternator pulley and slide it down to the engine pulley. They must line up exactly and alternator pulley must not be at an angle. The straight edges will tell you if either of these is wrong. Two straight edges, one on each pulley face will tell you which alignment is wrong, angular or linear.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:34   #26
Eternal Member

I've had a 100-amp Balmar alternator on my boat for 14 years, along with a Balmar MC-612 MaxCharge regulator.

My 4-108 has a 1/2" x 41" belt.

No problem at all. Many of my clients also push 100-amp alternators with 1/2" belts.

If you have a newish belt and a lot of black dust, then your problem is with the alignment, not just the load. Again, dust = poor alignment.

It is a very good idea to take advantage of the programming capabilities of external regulators. My 100A alternator is dialed back to put out a maximum of 80A. With my 675AH house battery bank, it will do this for quite a while if the batteries are significantly discharged.

The small engine mode switch is a good idea if you have a small diesel, especially if you are likely to find yourself up against a lee shore and need the engine power to claw off :-)

The serpentine belt solution is a good idea if you intend to fit an alternator much larger than 100A. If not, stick with what you've got, check and recheck your belt alignment, use a top-quality belt (like the Gates Green Stripe), and program your regulator to dial the maximum alternator output back to 80A or so. Your black dust problem is sure to disappear :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:44   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't know this regulator, but wonder if you could put in a potentiometer or rotary multi switch with different resistors to give 50, 60, 70, 80% settings?
"Could you", don't know, that is over my head.

As others have said, these smart regulators can do a lot. I toyed with an external switch and idiot light. For now I take one longish trips every 2-3 months and day trip almost every weekend. Back at the dock I can plug in, so the manual removal of the jumper works for me.

In 25 months 8 days... ...I will install some solar and use the generator as a secondary charger. Come to think of it, even then I may leave it a manual process.

Btrayfors--- what is the best way to check alignment?? I have eyeballed mine and thought it looked good. Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:50   #28

Boat: Cambria 44/46

Same problem, Fixed it by removing the alternator from the water pump circuit and installing a turnbuckle modified as a tensioner. The greater tension and the 170 degrees of wrap allowed full power output without squealing, dust and excess heating.

To tension the water pump belts I put on a "Varialble Pitch" pulley. That circuit doesn't need much tension.

This Idea came from a Good Old Boat article a few years ago.

Good luck,
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator belts 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	655
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	86313  
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:52   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It is already in there on Balmar regs and called "Belt Manager" or formerly "Amp Manager".. On any single belt installation, where the alt is sized larger than the belt can handle, a proper set up would include current liming to match the belts capability..

I would suggest the OP start at Belt Manager level 4 and work their way up until you hit the dust point then go back one step.

Also;

* Be sure there is no rust on the pulleys.....

* Be sure the pivot bolt is the proper size for alt and engine block

* Be sure the alignment is spot on, A straight edge and calipers can confirm this. The naked eye usually can not.

* Be sure engine block alt mount hole is not ob-longed or worn out.

* Be sure there is no oil getting on the belt.

* Ensure you have the belt wrap to drive the load.

* Set the regulator for at least a 60 second soft start

*Use Belt Manager/Amp Manager this is one of its main purposes.
Old 07-08-2014, 14:03   #30

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I've had good luck with the Gates Greenstripe 1/2 inch belt for my 75 amp Balmar(Model 91-75). Recently the alternator failed to charge the battery and after 24 years I guess it's time for replacement. The alternator is being refurbished and the regulator ARS-4 is being replaced with the ARS-5. The belt is doing fine still, but that too is being replaced.

Just replaced my old failed ARS-4 with a Sterling ProReg B. Better unit, LESS MONEY

My altenator pulley had to be replaced a few years ago , it was wearing the belt and making loads of black "dust". That seemed to have solved the problem.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator