Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 07:26   #46

Hard starts treat symptoms. They do not repair anything. A hard start will only put off a repair, and probably make it more expensive in the long run.
The OP answered his own question by his 3rd post in this thread.
Too little generator + too much a/c = no cooling off the dock.
Reach-around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 08:14   #47

Boat: Still looking
Re: A/C Start Up on Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchorfor3 View Post
YouTube - ‪12 VOLT BOAT MARINE AIR CONDITIONER‬‏

Just watched this video..
Ok, after watching there videos and there web site videos, 3 comp to do the work of 1 comp will drop the amps, but running 3 compressors can run a battery low to. These are water source condensers meaning water circulates in one direction of the cond water tube coil and picks up the heat from the R-134a refrigerant and displaces it out side of the boat. Probably in the back of the boat. Using water as appose a cond fan is very efficient. Hope you got money, they don't give these things away.
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 05:40   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

OK
I CONFESS
I made a bad decision to buy this Bolyi generator
It doesn't work as advertised
(I even checked with them by email and phone to be sure that the BTU will work wit their gen before buying it...)
I did everything they told me to do, to no effect...

and not only that but the damn thing is leaking oil like hell...
conclusion: don't buy it for your boat

You can refer to my threat about buying a Bolyi or not in this forum. I don't now how to make the link
Old 27-06-2011, 06:15   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull

I have a next- gen generator with a brand new reverse cycle 16000 btu mermaid. It works well as long as I turn off a few things first. A coffee maker draws about 10 when started, microwave about 10, flat screen draws about 3-4. If my girl decides to use a hair dryer without me noticing it will over draw instantly. I try to give the gen set a break by just making sure we don't run everything at once. The mermaid draws about 15 when first started, so I slowly start my different breakers as we need them. Perhaps there is a better way, but it is what it is as they say.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:20   #50

Boat: Beneteau First 42

FWIW I have a 4.2KW Panda that easily runs a 1996 era 16K BTU KingAir A/C unit, and other appliances and battery charger, with no difficulties. The only time we ever had difficulty was when one of our capacitors failed due to an erronious installation of the control box by the original installer in 2002. The continuous rating on our unit is about 3.8KW which has proven more than enough aboard our boat.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:53   #51

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Exactly right, the amp draw on a compressor will drop a little after it starts and runs. I know on commercial water towers there is a new style of compressor using magnitaion. Magnets are used inside the compressor as apposed to a coil. Making the compressor the most efficient on the market.
I will find out if they are making marine a/c's and or portable a/c units using the same technology, if so problem should be solved as far as voltage- amp draw.
My new AC uses a "scroll" type compressor, it has about 1/4 the starting current of my old piston compressor. There are several models and types of AC's now that use not only less inrush current to start, they also use a lot less total power during operation.

I have seen the Magnet, (multiphase brushless motors, requires a motor controller), motors used in other applications, I don't know of anyone who has scaled them down to smaller BTU AC's. There is a Japanese company that makes 4 ton AC's with this technology.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:20   #52

Boat: Still looking

I have only seen these newer style magnetic compressors in commercial water towers and what not. A scroll will draw less amps your right. As far as anything on the market for marine a/c I have not seen anything available yet. But when it does hit the market, it will be costly up front and will last a hell of lot longer then the other aftermarket a/c equipment.
What's the name of the Japanese compressor, I'm just curious. I know York and one other in the U.S. make these newer style compressors.
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If he has a droppage in volts a hard start will not help. Unfortunately...
Exact it didn't work !!
so I'm stuck with the gen and cannot start my A/C with it unless I'll change for a smaller and newer A/C which i don't like as the A/C is working so well so far !!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=capn_billl;718351]My new AC uses a "scroll" type compressor, it has about 1/4 the starting current of my old piston compressor. There are several models and types of AC's now that use not only less inrush current to start, they also use a lot less total power during operation.

---------QUOTE]

Which brand is it, please? Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20   #55

I bought a Pompano A/C but here is a Dometic ad below

Dometic Vector Turbo Series

Powerful, Compact, and Quiet Cold Air

The Turbo series completely revolutionized self-contained cooling and heating with the newest innovations in air conditioning system design.
The rust-free molded composite drain pan has three drains for the rapid removal of condensate water.
An advanced cushioning system results in quieter, virtually vibration-free operation. The enclosed blower motor eliminates overhang to provide easier installation.
The Turbo series was recently re-engineered to harness and maximize the impressive performance of R-410A refrigerant. R-410A is proven, reliable, and complies with all EPA standards and is accepted world wide.
Further reduce noise by up to 50% with the optional sound shield.
For complete technical data, including electrical, physical dimensions, and weights, please download the spec sheet.

• Up to 27% more energy efficient.
  • Up to 21% increased capacity.
  • Compact design uses less space.
  • Rust-free drain pan.
  • Up to 85% less standing water in the drain pan.
  • Now available with R-410A refrigerant.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post

I bought a Pompano A/C but here is a Dometic ad below

Dometic Vector Turbo Series

Powerful, Compact, and Quiet Cold Air

The Turbo series completely revolutionized self-contained cooling and heating with the newest innovations in air conditioning system design.
The rust-free molded composite drain pan has three drains for the rapid removal of condensate water.
An advanced cushioning system results in quieter, virtually vibration-free operation. The enclosed blower motor eliminates overhang to provide easier installation.
The Turbo series was recently re-engineered to harness and maximize the impressive performance of R-410A refrigerant. R-410A is proven, reliable, and complies with all EPA standards and is accepted world wide.
Further reduce noise by up to 50% with the optional sound shield.
For complete technical data, including electrical, physical dimensions, and weights, please download the spec sheet.

• Up to 27% more energy efficient.
  • Up to 21% increased capacity.
  • Compact design uses less space.
  • Rust-free drain pan.
  • Up to 85% less standing water in the drain pan.
  • Now available with R-410A refrigerant.

Thanks
Cost?
Alec
Old 08-09-2011, 15:38   #57

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Thanks
Cost?
Alec
List price is close to $3K.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16   #58

I bought one at a place in Florida that advertised on the internet. I paid $1000.oo for the US 120v model. I can't find their info right now, but I will look this weekend. Also I got a PM from someone on this board that was also selling some at that price.

Tags
generator