Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 23:08   #76

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I am so happy for you George the Leo.

That you will never ever be a member of the very exclusive Lagoon owners club.
You will never get to enjoy the benifits and liveability of a Lagoon.
I think i might go order the new 52 now,they look nice.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 05:21   #77

Re: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I used to have a powerboat with a flybridge. People who would get seasick in the salon, would come to the flybridge and feel much better. The salon was open all around with windows...

Yes, there is more movement on the flybridge but, for some reason, it is better for seasickness. That's my personal experience.

There are a couple of reasons for this. A big part of sea sickness is that the middle ear balance receptors are conflicting with what your eyes are seeing. The brain is receiving conflicting info from the eyes and the middle ear.
That's why it's very important to be looking up and out at the horizon to keep sea sickness at bay and of course, being high up on the L440 flybridge is going to help that. The second thing is fresh air also helps to keep sea sickness at bay so again, the flybridge is a good place.

There ya go - another plus for the Lagoon flybridge....

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 00:15   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440

I have to share this observation that made me smile, we were sailing from Vis to Brac getting along quite nicely, i had spent 20 minutes showing my son the benefits of telltales on the Genny he looked around from our comfortable bridge position and said "those mono's laying on their sides are also great telltales from here you see it all and can reef early" I laughed for some time over that one.

He is right the vantage point is great for many reasons.

Efficiency wise nothing beats a 'J'- boats deck sweeper but they just aren't practical.

What i will never understand is why it perturbs those who have not experienced it to make negative unfounded comment?

I don't like volkswagens but i don't search out VW Forums to jibe and insult, maybe some people are just sad individuals looking for interaction of any sort, George the Leo must have been duped in a Lagoon deal and took 20th best instead....

Frank
Old 29-10-2012, 04:07   #79
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I have to share this observation that made me smile, we were sailing from Vis to Brac getting along quite nicely, i had spent 20 minutes showing my son the benefits of telltales on the Genny he looked around from our comfortable bridge position and said "those mono's laying on their sides are also great telltales from here you see it all and can reef early" I laughed for some time over that one.

Efficiency wise nothing beats a 'J'- boats deck sweeper but they just aren't practical.

What i will never understand is why it perturbs those who have not experienced it to make negative unfounded comment?

I don't like volkswagens but i don't search out VW Forums to jibe and insult, maybe some people are just sad individuals looking for interaction of any sort, George the Leo must have been duped in a Lagoon deal and took 20th best instead....

Frank
Sitting on the fly bridge with full sail up do you have full 360 degree visibility or does the genoa block some of your view forward. If it does block some of the view, how much and how can you compensate for the lost view while on the fly bridge?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:15   #80

Quote:

Frank
True - I 'duped' myself when I ordered a new main 't-top' style for my recently sold Woods Scyla 36 Catamaran--trying for more sail area (which I received)--however ,now I had to add mast steps where before I just stood on the masts winches to get high enough to manage the mains halyard connections ( with ine hand as need the other hand to hold on to the mast). Frankly I dont like the flybridge because of its looks. Geo the dupe----
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 04:41   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sitting on the fly bridge with full sail up do you have full 360 degree visibility or does the genoa block some of your view forward. If it does block some of the view, how much and how can you compensate for the lost view while on the fly bridge?
Moving from side to side you can view all that is in front, i always check who is under or above our course.

I also tend to trim often so am always moving looking at main and genoa.

In pocket is a Raymarine smart control that has tack/course change ability.

Worse is a mono with a lowcut genoa methinks.

Frank
Old 29-10-2012, 04:54   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
True - I 'duped' myself when I ordered a new main 't-top' style for my recently sold Woods Scyla 36 Catamaran--trying for more sail area (which I received)--however ,now I had to add mast steps where before I just stood on the masts winches to get high enough to manage the mains halyard connections ( with ine hand as need the other hand to hold on to the mast). Frankly I dont like the flybridge because of its looks. Geo the dupe----
Geo that's fine if you don't like the aesthetics, i never liked the vertical windows having built cats with sloped windows and now i'm convinced for room, coolness and view the vertical windows are great.

If you are standing on winches to deal with halyards it is far safer to have steps we have them fold out style however you should only need to connect the halyard to the main prior to sailing and when finished if stowing sails.

If the chance comes up to sail aboard a 440 then take it as you may be quite surprised, i was.

Frank
Old 29-10-2012, 10:00   #83

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us

not too long ago he was actively looking for one.
We turned down his kind offer as it was 25% below our best offer at that time

ever since then he has been bashing them . figure why
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:12   #84

Is that right? The plot thickens!

I remember a tosser on here a while ago similar attitude as though that kind of action could some how devalue Lagoons, i gotta say in the last 8 months we have sailed most of the Adriatic and if we see a catamaran odds on it will be a Lagoon.

Ratio's out of ten would be 7 Lagoons 2 Fp's 2 Leopards to one Gunboat etal...

His arguments are predictable, his fact's regurgitated nonsense at best.

Personally i care not what others sail mono's, cat's, motorboats WHATEVER we are there for a good time not an argument.... Very tedious person...

Cheers Frank
Old 29-10-2012, 13:00   #85

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
Is that right? The plot thickens!

His arguments are predictable, his fact's regurgitated nonsense at best.
yes and I still have the emails to prove it.
he kept discussing that i had to reduce at least by the VAT rate even before negotiating. Simply because my boat carried the `burden` of 20 percent european VAT...
He was simply ignoring the fact that our asking was lower than any other similar boat on the market, regardless of VAT or not.
Shortly after this discussion his blabla about seacocks began. Since then he has become the mother of all Lagoon bashers.
Beeing completely selfish I hope he succeeds in his mission to lower the value of these boats. That means i get more boat for my money as I am looking for another Lagoon. :-)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 06:00   #86

Quote:
Ratio's out of ten would be 7 Lagoons 2 Fp's 2 Leopards to one Gunboat etal...
Frank, that ratio makes twelve out of ten, am I right?

IMHO, Lagoons are definitely the VW's of the seas today as well, a German car with all the options, yet properly priced! (Well, it's French but I just can't think of a French manufacturer that builds cars that are reasonable, maybe Citroen or Renault!)

As for the vertical windows, I agree completely. No one expects them on land and I don't see the reason to expect them on the boat. When they're not vertical, they tend to overhead the saloon, present another place to hit my head and decrease the interior volume. And I just don't care about the overall increase in windage, which is not great to start with anyways.

Rolf, your comment was really helpful to clarify my doubts about the high boom. Are you happy with the raymarine engine controls? Do you think a third throttle control at the very aft would be useful for Mediterranean style docking or is it just not necessary? I'll be handling the boat alone (my guests will be just, well, guests!) so that's quite important for me. Looking forward for your comments about the possible additions and so forth as an engineer myself!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 06:06   #87

By the way, the reasons for car sickness and sea sickness are basically the same; lack of fresh air, lost visibility of the horizon, constant movement. The reason that it's more likely to get carsick at the back seat rather than the front is the loss of the horizon, therefore, sitting on top with loads of fresh air will more than make up for the increased motion.
Old 30-10-2012, 06:07   #88

We are moving our inside helm control throttles, joggle stick and thrusters to the end of the cockpit mounted to the back of the sink/fridge unit that presently exists there, so that single handed or indeed double handed docking is much easier to port side.

My feelings are i will never use inside controls i like to feel and see what's going on rather than blindly behind fogged windows..

LAGOON's always come up 12 out of ten Bahaaaaa! So you do read then?????

Cheers
Old 30-10-2012, 06:23   #89

12 out of 10 is o.k. for me!
Old 03-11-2012, 00:52   #90

Send a message via Skype™ to impi

The high boom does not worry me at all. We have brought the main down in seriously nasty weather with ease - there is of course a line attached to the top of the sail which could be used to assist in bringing the main down as well if required.
As stated here previously the boom can also be easily lowered to the deck.
We have a long line on our stack pack zip so closing it is easy enough.

Mehmet ... I think the time has come ... sign that cheque and get sailing now lad!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote