Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Right on Factor,
One of our props fell off so thats how we docked with the tender, made it easy
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 13:47   #62

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just remember that almost every cat carries a tug boat as in a dinghy. Only got one motor working - get the dinghy in and push the thing around. It is a tactic worth practicing. Particularly if you have a big sided cat with lots of windage.
Yes have done that with mono's many times, RIB's come with their own fender....
Old 12-08-2012, 23:36   #63

Yes, RIB's come in handy as emergency propulsion when the inboard diesel won't cooperate and you don't need a big outboard either, just need to get some way on. We moved our Dufour Atoll 43 about 500m head to wind from outside anchorage into the marina at Point a Pitre, Guadeloupe for engine repairs (11 tonne and plenty of windage) with a 8hp o/b in 15kts of breeze; we just had to let her fall off downwind first & pick up some way before turning back against the breeze with the RIB secured tight fore & aft alongside.
We had the anchor ready just in case....
Haven't done it with a Cat though and as you say, the RIB makes a good fender!

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:40   #64

Boat: Lagoon 560

Hi. Just interested in how easy it is to put a reef in while going downwind or do you always have to come up into the wind ?
oos_ya_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:15   #65

Boat: Lagoon 560

Don't worry. Found plenty of info elswhere on the forum now.
oos_ya_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 14:45   #66

Any falls/injuries from this high boom situation????
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 14:48   #67

Must someone climb the mast to completely furl and cover the main and unhook the halyard? If yes-can a small wife do it comfortably? Dont lie now.
Old 24-10-2012, 14:50   #68

Previous OP-an owner, admitted that these boats were basically motor sailors-not true sailboaties----
Old 24-10-2012, 14:57   #69

A friend had a Island Packet 35, I had a Island packet 44--world of difference-he frustrating tried and did cruise all the way to England had to motor half way then sail very sloowly after fuel gave out.took 11 weeks!..My 44 -while I didnt sail to England-would sail and point very well-probably one of the few shallow draft deep water cruisers. Im into sailboats,not fuel guzzling motor sailors who dont sail well and unless a boat can point-it does not sail well IMHO
Old 24-10-2012, 15:00   #70

My last boring post--my current boat-a wodds 36 cat -I had a T-Top main added--then I had to add mast steps as now one must clinb 10 ft above deck to attach the 2 halyard fittings to furl mail-and unfurl!!!-and Im 75yo! damn!
Old 24-10-2012, 16:30   #71

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

We have now done 6000Nm in 6 months with our new L450. Mostly in the Med. Getting ready for crossing the Atlantic with the ARC next month.

Single handing - No problem at all. All over night trips are done with only the two of us doing single 4 hour watches in good conditions and shorter in rough conditions.

I never had to climb once onto the boom for any kind of work. However, on a 450 one has to go up three steps on the mast to hook in the 3rd reef on the luff. The leach 3rd reef is via a line. I have on occasion been reluctant to do that due to a bad back. I recently had a rigger put a line on the luff 3rd reef too; so no more climbing in rough seas up the mast.

The high boom has giving me no trouble at all. The lazy bags are easily done from the deck. The boom could be a little higher as I keep hitting my head on it, but that is due to my stiff neck and back forcing me to look down all the time.

She performs fine under most wind conditions and really runs well under main and gennaker with the wind on the beam. 10-12 knots true gives us 8+ knots in the water.

Bust mostly she is a great apartment on water and that is what I bought her for. No regrets on choosing the L450. Sure there are little things that could be better. I chartered one before buying and as an engineer by trade I opted to forgo certain options and do my own designs. More on that in other threads soon.

The fly bridge is great and extremely social. Our guests hang out there all the time or join us for a sun bath on the loungers just in front. Much more social than a raised steering position in the cockpit. Sea sickness is least when on the fly bridge. You see things coming and the motion appears to be less than in the salon or cockpit. The cockpit only gets used when at anchor or in the marina.

During cool nights and bad weather I run things from the inside nav station with a Raymarine remote for the auto pilot. In case of a sudden gust I can just change the course with the remote to reduce forces in the sails and then go out and reduce sails. But most times I have reduced them beforehand, as from up the fly bridge you really see things far away. On several occasions I have gotten down the gennaker just in time because I saw the white caps and wind direction change a mile or further out.

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 16:37   #72

---the motion on the flybridge may "appear" to be less --but it cant be you must know that as a Engineer....
Old 24-10-2012, 17:08   #73

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

However, for us humans it is the appearance that counts. Many things appear different to us then they rally are. Evolution at work.

If people do not get sea sick on the fly bridge but in the cockpit, then that makes the fly bridge a good thing.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 20:19   #74

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
---the motion on the flybridge may "appear" to be less --but it cant be you must know that as a Engineer....
You try with every post to bait and argue it's just your nature. Ah well...........

Roller furling in the boom solves any problem going forward for us.

All other regurgitated points by you have been answered ad nauseum ........

76 Mmmmm?
Old 24-10-2012, 21:21   #75

Boat: Amel 50

I used to have a powerboat with a flybridge. People who would get seasick in the salon, would come to the flybridge and feel much better. The salon was open all around with windows...

Yes, there is more movement on the flybridge but, for some reason, it is better for seasickness. That's my personal experience.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote