Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34   #46

Re: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms?

Yeloya, thanks for sharing your experience -once again. It sure is a thing to think about, hard.

However, my question still remains the same. Let's say you chartered a 560 with captain. Then what? Who do you rely on besides that man? I mean, no matter how you try to help him and etc., he doesn't go out to sea trusting you. My opinion on this "way too big" forums is always the same, without mechanical or electrical help, even the smallest boat is nightmare to sail. I dare anyone who opposes this idea to take a center board laser dinghy out during 20 kts of wind.

As for upkeep and maintenance, don't we all love to take care of our boats? Isn't that a part of the "boating" idea?

I sure am curious about the new L520. If they manage to implement the interior magic that they made for 450 and 560, it sure will be the perfect choice... My humble opinion of course...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48   #47

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
The 520 sounds very interesting.
I just hope the weight has been kept down a bit more than the increase on the 440-450.
Best i start making some $$$ if the 520 is the goods.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52   #48

Lagoon 440 12.2 tonnes
Lagoon 450 15.5 tonnes

Both lightship numbers
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Lagoon 440 12.2 tonnes
Lagoon 450 15.5 tonnes

Both lightship numbers
My first Renault Clio was 975kg's, nowadays, they're almost 1.5 tons! More toys, more comfort equals more weight. No rocket science.

...or we can go for the Gunboat option!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49   #50

An extra 3300 kg's of toys?
Thats a lot of gadgets.
Heavy boat = slower boat usually.
Gunboats,no thanks give me comfort
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10   #51

If the boat is comfortable enough along with the tanks and storage is full, I just don't care how many days I spend on the way, but that's me...
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30   #52

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Personally I do not think a 560 is a boat for a single hander ... I certainly would not want to be singe handed on one and even if one could it would'nt make for pleasant sailing ... but then again ... I could be proved wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Not sure why a boat that has so much room, entertainment areas and SPACE would be considered as a boat for a single-hander, any boat can be set up to work for a single-hander but a 560 would be in my opinion difficult, they are big boats....BUT there are better choices methinks...
Quote:
A 560 is more space nd size than you will ever need for single sailing, i for one would not want to have to wash and clean such a massive boat.
On the flybridge issue, i would not buy a boat without one.

I only ask because I mainly single-hand. The main selling point for is whether a sailboat has been designed and rigged to be handled under sail and power by one person, should the circumstances arise, regardless of size. Not that it “could” be with modification, but that it “can” be as designed, without exhausting the single-hander. The 560 is an awesome sailing and hosting platform, but it would definitely be too big for just one person to take full advantage of. As a single-hander, if I had the cash to burn through, I would probable go for the 450. I happen to like the raised helm. I took a demo on a 500 last year, and it felt great. I liked the commanding view.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:39   #53

I do singlehand my 440 from time to time in the ocean and bays.
The only time i do stress a little is docking if the wind is blowing me away from a berth.
Otherwise it's a easy boat well set up for 1 person operation.
Old 11-07-2012, 00:53   #54

Boat: Lagoon 440

I agree with every winch electric on DOMINO Vivien has no trouble trimming the windvane ability on the autopilot makes it a dream, she sets to tell tales and switches over to pilot then sits back watching for fishtrap bouys/floats, we gotta get cutters on our props methinks.
Our bonus is we have a thruster which helps her bigtime if the bow needs a bigger push.....
Cheers
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00   #55

Bowthruster? Show off. Lol
Would have used a thruster a few times if i had one, would have avoided a bit of swearing too.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12   #56

Quote:
Bowthruster? Show off. Lol
Would have used a thruster a few times if i had one, would have avoided a bit of swearing too.
When we went through the inventory i emailed the Broker asking him to confirm that she had a bow thruster, he came back and said "Frank no catamaran has a bow thruster you drive them like tank with steering locked, but ill ask for you"......

Next day his reply was "yes it does" it is pivoted you arm it and it swings down then you simply press P or S and away the bow goes...

Cats are fantastic BUT try docking on one engine only in a breeze, they are nigh on impossible, i've tried in a multi million dollar Sydney cat called "AVALANCHE" it is a carbon fibre mega cat, we ended up warping it in, wind and tide and 1 engine AAAAhhhgggg!!!!!

The uninitiated would think it would behave like a mono BUT it totally doesn't.....
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30   #57

I looked at a Bahia 46 with a bow thruster moulded into one of the bows.
Reasonably easy install on a cat and handy with the windage that can be an issue.
Otherwise with locked steering you can really move them around and look like you know what you are doing.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54   #58

This unit has its own batteries, it is a section of the hull that has been cutout and attached to the thruster arm, when you arm it the section swinngs down with the prop above it, i get a light and audible alarm that its ready.

Alarm beeps every minute to make me aware its there as it isnt great to sail with it extended.

Here in Croatia you sit watching TV and you hear the noise of a thruster, sometimes its a panicked noise as in CONTINUOUS, this brings everyone out of there cabins to see who is going to be collected.....

Great fun.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Cats are fantastic BUT try docking on one engine only in a breeze, they are nigh on impossible, i've tried in a multi million dollar Sydney cat called "AVALANCHE" it is a carbon fibre mega cat, we ended up warping it in, wind and tide and 1 engine AAAAhhhgggg!!!!!

The uninitiated would think it would behave like a mono BUT it totally doesn't.....
Just remember that almost every cat carries a tug boat as in a dinghy. Only got one motor working - get the dinghy in and push the thing around. It is a tactic worth practicing. Particularly if you have a big sided cat with lots of windage.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just remember that almost every cat carries a tug boat as in a dinghy. Only got one motor working - get the dinghy in and push the thing around. It is a tactic worth practicing. Particularly if you have a big sided cat with lots of windage.
I've seen 50hp engines on some of those dinghies, which is more powerful than standard engines on 450! You can practically start your tug boat service with one of them!!!