Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 14:11   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
CNG Stove For Sale

Three burner CNG stainless steel gimbaled galley stove manufactured by GSI Safgas (now Seaward). Recently removed from 25 year old, lightly used sailboat that's going to the Bahamas (propane land). Looks new, spotless, works great. Includes pizo igniters. Includes tank, pressure gauge and hoses, also in excellent condition. Stove new is $1,050, accessories approximately $300. Will sell for 1/2 new-$675, plus shipping. Email me for pics. jeklaw@bellsouth.net
Old 20-09-2013, 18:29   #2

Re: CNG Stove For Sale

Bump. Let's talk turkey on this Bristol cng stove, tank and assoc hoses.
Old 14-10-2013, 18:16   #3

Boat: Morgan 323

What are the dimensions of the stove?
Old 14-10-2013, 18:27   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Happy View Post
Three burner CNG stainless steel gimbaled galley stove manufactured by GSI Safgas (now Seaward). Recently removed from 25 year old, lightly used sailboat that's going to the Bahamas (propane land). Looks new, spotless, works great. Includes pizo igniters. Includes tank, pressure gauge and hoses, also in excellent condition. Stove new is $1,050, accessories approximately $300. Will sell for 1/2 new-$675, plus shipping. Email me for pics. jeklaw@bellsouth.net

Where would one get fuel for it?
Old 14-10-2013, 19:40   #5

The stove is 20.5 high, 20.5 wide, 13.5 deep. As for fuel, I would think it is generally available stateside but not down island. Email for pics if interested.
Old 19-11-2013, 19:53   #6

Bump. $600 and I'll pay normal shipping in lower 48
Old 28-12-2013, 11:14   #7

Bump. $475, plus shipping.
Old 28-12-2013, 15:32   #8
cruiser

CNG is not at all easy to find. Have you tried to buy it without a car from a waterfront location? In the skipper bob marina guide from Troy New York to key west there are no marina fill stations. It's pretty much a obsolete unit, maybe I'm mistaken. Good luck with the sale.
Old 28-12-2013, 16:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Don't you just change the jets to run it off propane? I know that's how it done with other appliences
Assuming of course jets are available
Old 31-12-2013, 13:14   #10

I am by no means an authority on the availability of cng stateside. I googled cng and found numerous locations on the east/gulf coasts that fill the tanks. Frankly, I've never been in a marina that filled propane tanks so the fact that they don't fill cng tanks either does not surprise. A couple of thoughts: the US is in the early stages of a natural gas boom and many vehicles are being converted. More fill stations are coming online. Furthermore, the previous owner of my boat said his cng tank-when filled-seemed to last forever. So I'm not sure this is really such a big deal. And yes, there has been discussion on this board about converting the cng burners to propane. I know zip about that but it might be something to explore if interested in an inexpensive option to a $1,300 Force Ten stove.
Old 31-12-2013, 13:41   #11
cruiser

Propane has twice the Btu's as CNG per the same volume. CNG is also stored as a gas rather than a liquid like propane, so in similarly sized tanks the propane has more volume and twice the Btu's. A standard grill 20# last almost 2.5 times longer than a CNG tank. Both gases last a long time in you don't cook much. I suspect your previous owner didn't cook three hot ones a day. And sure most marinas don't sell propane but every 7-11, quick stop, gas station, Home Depot, Publix, lowes, ect has a tank exchange. So it's only a 3 minute walk. CNG is very, very hard to find for boaters and not actually coming online as you might believe. You end up at commercial gas places where oxy acetylene tanks and Welding supplies are sold. Lighter than air and very safe though .
Old 31-12-2013, 13:57   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i know that CNG refill stations are almost impossible to find in Florida .. probably the entire southeast as well.
Old 31-12-2013, 15:54   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i know that CNG refill stations are almost impossible to find in Florida .. probably the entire southeast as well.
Had a CNG stove for 20 years on my prior boat .Never had a problem obtaining CNG.If the local Municipal Govt supplys it by pipe line then they can fill your bottles certainly not as convenient as Propane but far from being hard to find .Always purchased mine in Port St Lucie Fl still can. In 4 to 6 weeks of Bahama crusing would use 2 bottles ,Never worried about explosions either .If I had a place to store the bottles I would chuck the Propane in a Heart Beat.
Old 31-12-2013, 15:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Happy View Post
Why not just take more tanks along .I always carried 4 .Would last 3 to 4 months normal use.Just Saying.
Old 31-12-2013, 16:39   #15

Hi all, may i ask how much does a tank of CNG cost? I know a 20# propane tank is $9.00. My new boat has CNG and i have not refilled yet. I must say that i had the same magic chef stove in my previous boat on propane and could turn on the oven, pop in a pizza and be done in under 15 minutes. But with the CNG stove, i preheat for 5 minutes then it takes 25 or 30 minutes to cook the same pizza.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
for sale, sale