Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 08:38   #1

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu,16 m
Send a message via Skype™ to HEME
Which radar will perform best with Opencpn?

I have been using opencpn for years and I am very happy with it is a treasure box that support much more than I ever will need.

Anyway, as my old radar has left this world, I saw that opencpn supports several radar types with different plugins, unfortunately do I not have any knowledge of how the different type of radars perfoms in Opencpn so as I am going to buy a new radar, which one will perfom best with Opencpn.

The price for a 3G radar is much lower than the price for a 4G radar, and it seems that there is a difference between Garmin and Navico radar types, so what is your experience using a radar in Opencpn?

rgds Henning/SY Bolero

HEME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Which radar will perform best with Opencpn?

HEME...
The following radar scanners are supported by plugins for OCPN version 4.8.4:
Garmin HD
Garmin xHD
Navico BR24 (All Navico are also sold as: Lawrence, Simrad, B&G)
Navico 3G
Navico 4G
For direct download to OCPN 4.8.4 see: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadplugins.html
And for wikis: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...gins:ais_radar

There's a ongoing development for a new radar plugin combining more types into one plugin; radar_pi. This plugin can so far be used for all listed above except Garmin HD. Navico Halo is also supported but not thoroughly tested. (As far as I know)
The radar_pi is available here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi and can be build for both O 4.8.4 and O 4.99.0(Alfa for O 5.0 beta) Please advice if you like this and need help for binaries.

What type and maker is the best is of course up to each and everyone.
I'm using radar_pi and Navico 3G and find it very good. Not less with the (M)ARPA function. The difference between 3G and 4G was not enough for the prize difference for me. 20 NM range is good enough. But there are for sure more opinions about this.

Good luck
Håkan

Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I'm using radar_pi and Navico 3G and find it very good. Not less with the (M)ARPA function. The difference between 3G and 4G was not enough for the prize difference for me. 20 NM range is good enough. But there are for sure more opinions about this.
I am also using Navico 3G plugs straight into network port and works flawlessly with OCPN. Could not justify the extra cost benefit of 4G.

If you choose this option depending on the "Branding" Lowrance, B&G, Simrad some are shipped with interface boxes and or interface cables. You do not need any of these if your intention is to connect directly to a PC running OCPN. Knowing this may save you some money.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:37   #4

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu,16 m
Send a message via Skype™ to HEME

Thank you very much for the given information, indeed I will not spend more money than necessary but on the other hand is it difficult to chose a solution without knowing the differences. I do now, so again, thank you, I will chose
the Lowrance Radar 3G and buy it in sweeden for a nice low price approximately 1375 euro and this should hopefully be "plug and play".

rgds
Henning/SY Bolero

HEME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:07   #5

Boat: Najad 34

Henning..
Good luck with your choice. If you plan to use OCPN only please follow your manual and connect according to "For systems not using radar interface box (Lowrance HDS USA only)".
Your NMEA 0183 compass will then go direct into OCPN.

If you've a NMEA 2000 compass you can instead use the R10 radar interface box usually delivered with the radar scanner and get the compass signal from the radar into OCPN.

For a new 3G you may have favor of the new radar_pi plugin instead of BR24Radar_pi. Please inform us about your operating system if you need help to use the radar_pi.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:55   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Added to FAQ

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...adar:faq_radar

rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, radar