Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 16:42   #91

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Shortcut Keys List

I didn't read the whole thread, but I would like to remap the whole keyboard so any key can do any function and it can be customized by each user. This makes scripting easier later as well.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 17:08   #92

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean, you're back in communication! I've been away for a couple of weeks and am just getting wifi.
I like Sean's idea but would like to refine shortcuts logically so we have a starting point that is good, then each can adjust and best ideas get used. We could have simple macro language that is a text file that can be read, changed, adapted to languages, shared and stored as in a library. Multiple commands would be good. Code signal to allow keyboard character input, an escape key, a code for an enter key, etc in the macro. A way to list sequential commands etc.

To do this we need to have a way to identify each and every command in opencpn. DOES THIS EXIST CURRENTLY?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 19:53   #93

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hi Sean,

Welcome back! I also like your idea. In fact I already use a Windows key remap/macro program to get this functionality. And, as Rick pointed out there is a question of what functions will be assignable to shortcut keys. As an example, I still haven't heard whether or not going to/from magnetic and true bearings has a shortcut key assigned. Anyway, if this functionality is to exist, it needs to be in O so that it will work consistently across all platforms.

Best regards,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 17:29   #94

I like Viking's idea for magnetic and true compass bearings, and thought I heard that suggested by him or others a little while ago.
  1. Anyway, I know that our CAD program has a "Command" id code for each and every command in DataCAD that allows reference and use of that command in keyboard macros.
  2. In the case of DataCAD every command is accessible through the use of the F "function" keys and Shift+Function keys [f1,f2,f3,...f0,s1,s2,s3...s0].
  3. These show at the beginning of the menu list with the commands also shown adjacent [8 characters]. You can hit the hard-coded Function or Shift-Function keys, or left mouse click or hit the single hard coded alphanumeric key for the command, if you know it or if it exists.
  4. These actions step the user through a highly developed menu system that is quite deep). Successive F & Shift-F keys are selected to step through the menus down to the correct command.
  5. A "Keyboard Macro" is created in a simple text file by assigning ALT-K as the keyboard macro initiator. Alt-K: F0 + F3 + S5 creates a concatenated [space]+[space] keyboard macro, for example.
  6. We also have hard coded keyboard shortcuts which are single keys ("E" for "Edit", "C" for Copy, "U" for Utility,
  7. Often it is faster to use the alphanumeric keyboard shortcut "E" for "Erase", "M" for Move, for example. These commands can also be concatenated the same way.
  8. The keyboard macro might also be written using Alt-K: E which would use a single alphanumeric (or multiple shortcuts concatenated).
  9. We also often have to enter text or numbers to complete a command, so the macro language has a pause to allow keyboard entry, and a code for answering "yes" or "no" and some rudimentary choices like that.
I believe the essential thing necessary at this point is to figure out what is most logical for the hard-coded command id's!

Datacad chose to have a hierarchical, visual menu structure, with command messages, short instructions, and message prompts that were context sensitive. In addition there was an alphanumeric shortcut assigned to the most important commands. These shortcuts were designed to be easy to remember.

It is perfectly reasonable to take a different approach with Opencpn because the commands necessary are not as complex, but it must have some logic and rational, and provide an ID for each command.

After that, developing the macro language will be easier, I believe.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29   #95

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

It seems to me that OpenCPN needs a less complex human interface than does a CAD tool.

If there were a OpenCPN macro capability could you give some examples of which commands you could string together? DEC (remember them) had a text editor with a kbd macro capability. You could also loop within the macro.

In theory, I rather like the idea of letting the user modify the interface to OpenCPN. I was thinking along these lines 1. connecting buttons to shortcuts, 2. labeling these buttons (or providing a list of buttons to choose from), 3. Grouping buttons by function with a single button to access the group 4. misc such as making the single click center map optional and making a shortcut to right click (I may be the only one that wants this so....)
Old 10-11-2014, 17:29   #96

Opencpn 3.3.2302 beta version with new Menu bar by Mollymawk

Tested all shortcuts listed on the current documentation, here
Hot Keys and Shortcuts | Official OpenCPN Homepage
when using Win7

Ctrl + Left-Arrow Larger Scale Chart (Scale In) - Does not work
Ctrl + Right-Arrow Smaller Scale Chart (Scale Out) - Does not work
Ctrl + G* cycles through green, red and normal screen. (does not work on my system drivers. may on others)

These two sort of work (works on move waypoint) more testing needed by others.
Ctrl + Y Redo Mark/waypoint create, move or delete.
Ctrl + Z Undo Mark/waypoint create, move or delete.

Right Mouse click View center lat & long (Is not listed)
Left Mouse click moves to center of view. yes this works.

Did not check this
Double clicking on an AIS target, displays the target query dialog.
Old 10-11-2014, 18:19   #97

Suggested Route Creation Command Shortcuts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ctrl-R New route pencil -exists
Esc End route -exists
Ctrl-A Append waypoint -proposed
Ctrl-I Insert waypoint -proposed
Ctrl-S Split route into two pieces -proposed
Ctrl-J Join two routes - proposed

Requires change of
(Ctrl + I) to (Ctrl + D) toggle small dialog, containing GPS status & Course/Up North Up Icons, on/off.

Notes:
Append waypoint should append to the beginning or start point as well as the end.
Split and Join routes are not implemented.
Old 16-11-2014, 12:53   #98

Boat: Najad 34

Hi.
There are a few missed functions in the new shortcut list at: Keyboard Shortcuts | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Please add as "New" functions: (Introduced in some beta 3.3.17??)
Zoom in | pg-up |
Zoom out | pg-dwn |

Thanks/ Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 15:06   #99

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello All,

Tonight, I'm angry.

Test with 332302. I note that there is some error here :

Keyboard Shortcuts | Official OpenCPN Homepage

By example :

C, M and Q do not run as said in this page.

And Page up and Page down Not the same effects with OpenGL OFF or with OpenGL ON.

In that same page also reads :Tracking (on/off) a shortcut for this might be nice
These web pages opencpn.org site are made to describe exactly the operation of OpenCPN. These pages are not meant to express an indescribable desire.

Who will trust O soon when we see it all.

Gilletarom. (quite sad )
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 17:12   #100

Gille,
I've tried these
C, M and Q
They are working with version 3.3.2302 which I git fetched and compiled.
However I find that Q quilting works, but the check on settings > chart quilting does not change sometimes for some weird reason, although pressing Q toggles the function on and off and quilting actually goes on and off. --Its acting almost as if there are two different modes of turning on and off quilting!

Page Up and Page Down work fine for me with Opengl on or off. They operate the opposite of what I am used to for CAD but I can get used to it because I like these buttons.

Gille, I am using Win7 with 3.3.2302 what program are you using? I think you need to get the current one if you don't have it.

Best
Rick
------

Note to Programmers: I would like a second press of "M" to turn off the Measure Pencil! Just as Escape does.

PS I think this program is running much better actually.
Old 16-11-2014, 17:18   #101

Caesar,
Thank you for all your work. Do windows users still have use the Function keys as before?

-- It appears so, so perhaps we should have the Function list and identify it for Windows users and Linux users.

Also guys, perhaps we should check Caesar's new list to see if there are some other shortcuts from before, just to be sure we have a full list as it works now.
Old 16-11-2014, 23:17   #102

Hi
The shortcuts making trouble for Gilleatom are well functional for me as well. And pg-up/dn is fine with or without OpenGl as usual.
But...I've seen in the code that when French language is used another keyboard logic is applied. I don't know the background for this special nor I know if this can make shortcut troubles.
Code:
//  French language locale is assumed to include the AZERTY keyboard
    //  This applies to either the system language, or to OpenCPN language selection
    if( loc_lang_canonical == _T("fr_FR") ) g_b_assume_azerty = true;
    if( def_lang_canonical == _T("fr_FR") ) g_b_assume_azerty = true;
Could anyone evolve this?
And Gille...: be careful with all that head banging, you could get square.
Håkan
Old 16-11-2014, 23:40   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
.....Do windows users still have use the Function keys as before?

-- It appears so, so perhaps we should have the Function list and identify it for Windows users and Linux users.

Also guys, perhaps we should check Caesar's new list to see if there are some other shortcuts from before, just to be sure we have a full list as it works now.
Rick..
I'm a Win user and been so since very early DOS, and my fingers are still touching the F-keys very often. But since new laptops more or less hide those keys I think the common use may slowly decrease.
But nevertheless:
Please Just add all F-keys mentioned in (old version) Hot Keys and Shortcuts | Official OpenCPN Homepage I've just made a test and luckily they are still functional.
Håkan
Old 17-11-2014, 01:23   #104

Boat: Dufour 35

What do you guys think of Caesar's table format for the shortcuts?
Also note the new menu bar. Hit "ALT" if you don't see it. Lots of help for shortcuts there.

@Gilletarom
You have to realize that the Beta documentation is a wiki. Anyone is welcome to contribute. It's not an "official", always guaranteed to be correct, piece. In this case Caesar has contributed a new version of the page, that features a new format and changes only available in 3.3.2316.
There are also a few missing things and typos. So what! It's still under development. Help him instead, by pointing out errors you find. Or, alternatively, correct them yourself.

On another note....
I have a list of things that are not yet in the documentation.......
Hopefully all relevant things will be correctly covered in time for the next stable release.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 02:54   #105

I'd like to thank Caesar for his contributions. I think this will lead to refinement of the all important user intrrface for two conditions:
1. Fully functional computers with keyboards and mouse.
2. Tablets and smaller devices.
And the program commands are now set up with identifier names for future user defined macros and shortcuts. Thank you Caesar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app