Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 03:21   #76

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Shortcut Keys List

A user adaptable hotkey table is a great opportunity but maybe not a straightforward coding? But that will of course solve much of this discussions since us users may have difficulties agreeing of a common acceptable list.
For example is my hotkey list contribution now to add <Page-up>/<Page-down> to similar functions as <+>/<-> e.g. zoom in/out.
This request is related to my Swedish keyboard where <+> and <-> are not located beside each others and therefore hard to find when it's dark. The <Page-up>/<Page-down> are always together and easily found and it's also an old habit of mine from Oziexplorer using these hotkeys. For the moment I code it myself and build every new O versions to that behaviour.
Rick.. If you happen to maintain a hotkey list of desiderata I suppose it grows fairly immense?
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 04:05   #77

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
This request is related to my Swedish keyboard where <+> and <-> are not located beside each others and therefore hard to find when it's dark.
Håkan
If we are talking about a normal keyboard, and not a laptop keyboard, just use the numerical keyboard. "-" is just above "+" in the "NE" corner.
Dead easy to find even the darkest night.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 04:56   #78

Thomas..
Thanks but yes we are talking about a laptop, that's what I use in my boat. And I sure miss the num keys for other reasons as well. My fingers are there searching every time a digit shall be typed. I've a USB-one but for daily sail I don't need another gadget tumbling around.
Håkan
Old 29-12-2013, 06:39   #79

Boat: BENETEAU

Hi,

IMHO, there is too many Hotkeys and Shortcuts, some of them are already available via icons.
It will be very interesting which ones are really used !!

I am running OpenCPN on both desktop or laptop and I am using the mouse for all pointing, zooming in/out actions.

Please find attached an OpenCpn 3.3 Hotkeys&shortcuts memento.

Serge
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HOT-Keys&Shortcuts.pdf (127.8 KB, 63 views)
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 07:45   #80

Boat: 29'

A keyboard shortcut is easier and faster than a mouse.
A keyboard is really a huge collection of useful buttons.
But I don't use all of them,because they are hard to remember.

I think they are somewhat harder to remember, because there are duplicates.

Also, they are hard to remember because they are not "grouped" as to ALT and CTRL.

example: CTRL and "+" is for fine zooming. well, that's fine. It is a "controlled" zoom.It makes perfect sense...
However, ALT and "arrow" keys is for fine panning. "ALTernate panning?" This is peculiar. It "should" be CTRL and arrow keys...."controlled" panning.

and so, ALT +arrow might suit "Alternate chart" better than the present CTRL and arrow.

I will never use CTRL+Q to shut down OpenCPN. Windows has ALT+F4 already, and it applies everywhere in windows....my opinion here is not to duplicate the Operating Systems existing shortcuts.

I will never remember CTRL+space as a ManOverboard. Not a chance. If there is a candidate for an easily remembered SINGLE LETTER shortcut, this is it.something to do with "overboard" might help me...what letter would that be?
"o"?
OK,o is presently used for "outlines" which is sensible sort of, but it's not high on my priority list especially as it already exists as F12.
Solution? give overboard either F12 or "o".

Stuff like that....is where I'm at.

and note that CTRL+o already leaves a mark at gps position,but it doesn't have the bells and whistles Overboard! does...so "o" already nearly stands for "overboard".

But "o" doesn't have to be the letter- keep it for outlines if it pleases ...but don't also use it for dropping a mark at gps position..too odd.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 08:26   #81

...but of course, not everyone speaks English so "o for overboard" shouldn't please everybody. and an F (function key) is maybe the best candidate.
(As an afterthought, It'd even be nice if the default toolbar HAD THE SAME ORDER as the FUNCTION KEYS they have for shortcuts....)
But some "words" are pretty universal-GPS for instance. so G would be an idea for a mark at gps position or ...?
but I'm still keen on making sense of ALTernate, ConTRoL,SHIFT,Function keys.
Old 29-12-2013, 08:35   #82

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I too would be interested to know who uses HotKeys/Shortcuts and which of them are used often. I have my suspicions. Several HotKeys/Shortcuts perform useful functions for which, I think, there is no menu access. Below is a quick list:
F11 - Toggle Full Screen
A - Show/Hide bottom detail (could be in Mariner Standard)
Ctrl B - Show/Hide chart bar
Ctrl I - Show/Hide North Up and GPS status
Ctrl G - Cycles through (monochromatic) green, red and normal screen

I thought there was a shortcut to toggle the status bar but can't find it. With the exception of Ctrl G these shortcuts are useful for increasing usable screen space for tablets.

I'm repeating myself but, shouldn't all "shortcuts" be available through menus?
Old 29-12-2013, 10:11   #83

I don't use any of those... except CTRL+G . The ones you are using are about getting more screen real-estate which I don't need on an old-fashioned square screen but will have to learn given the modern widescreen (rip-offs!) that are filtering down to me...my question to you would be wouldn't B be better than Ctrl+B?is it easier?
You can use O without a mouse, but a mouse is really needed. That's ok. Keyboard shortcuts are an eclectic afterthought. I do get that.
If anybody cares, shutdown O and unplug your mouse. Figure out how to start O...and carry on from there.

I actually in real-life all the time use +,-, ctrl with these, arrow panning keys,F2,F4,F6,F8,T,and . D, sometimes. ESC is required with routes....
CTRL+G is the only way to get those nice night colours (on the machines it works on)
F5 by mistake because it looks like F6 and is near the same place on the keyboard I want ..never bother with F7,ALT and arrows, never.
so, not many. But sometimes , I will just peck keys randomly as though I expected something to happen....as though it were possible...
....I'd be as interested in what shortcuts people WOULD use, if they were really easy to invoke and UNinvoke...ESC comes to mind as universal un-invoker and is already required in routemaking as far as know, so everyone is using Keyboard shortcuts.

and there is a kind of leakage from Windows OS...
for (windows) fun try this.
Right-click somewhere on the chart
tap h
...hide. H for hide. makes sense. where's the UNhide.darn, it.ESC? CTRL+Z? Goto chart bar,hover over hidden, use S but why would you? when the mouse is there already.
or n. N for navigate. oops don't want to do that. where's the ESC or ctrl+z?..so too bad M doesn't mean Mark at Cursor....
(and I wonder if TAB+M could leap about Mark to mark?)

CTRL+M needs a mouse to move the cursor anyways and the right-click menu works better because it locks the cursor in position when invoked....otherwise it's a three-handed operation because I use the right hand for the mouse and it's a stretch to use one hand for ctrl+m
again,(leakage) note that D taken from rightclick menu(Drop Mark) works easy peasey.
a very eclectic study....
Old 29-12-2013, 10:50   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
IMHO, there is too many Hotkeys and Shortcuts, some of them are already available via icons.
It will be very interesting which ones are really used !!
......Serge
Serge..
We're all different kind of users, aren't we. I made a brief usage calculation of the hotkeys listed in your excellent list. I use more or less frequently ~66% of those listed. Some of them, half?, very often. In rough see I tend to prefer hotkeys before the mouse if possible.
The PDF-table is relevant for me but I do agree to the above opinion to have a one-finger-key for the MOB function. (And of course my <page-up/down> function mentioned a couple of posts earlier.)
Also I suppose a present hotkey is not disturbing those preferring mouse actions?
Håkan
Old 29-12-2013, 10:56   #85

Quote:
I'm repeating myself but, shouldn't all "shortcuts" be available through menus?
as in File Edit View... windozes style? I bet that is Extremely Unlikely without an entirely new O... or in the right-click menu?

Or "Shouldn't all Function Buttons have a shortcut?" Tides and currents have no shortcuts. Toolbox has no shortcut...
Old 29-12-2013, 11:35   #86

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Happy,

I was highlighting those shortcuts that dont have a longcut, not the shortcuts I use.

I use +&-, Ctrl +&-, Fn F4 & F5 (really a Windows feature), and Esc. I keep a little cheat sheet for Ctrl B, D, and F11, as I don't have the memory space for any more.
Old 31-12-2013, 10:49   #87

ah,so,sorry, WD'Got it! ...yes, using keyboard shortcuts is necessary to use those functions.... You could make a "feature request" to put them in the right-click menu for a mouse to use?
and my mistake; The ESC to end route-making is already in the right-click menu which has completely passed me by! , being so used to the ESC key for ending the route.... You don't see it in the R-menu until the route pencil is activated....

do you mean F6 dimming? If so, dimming the "desktop" is on keyboards, but O dims just herself, independent of Windoze desktop. sure, I've blinded myself a couple of times, minimising O at night to switch to another app, but with O's added to the computer's (which is still too bright), I can get it much dimmer, especially where some laptops (this one) can't use the CTRL+G...
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15   #88

Rick..Aiseag..
As earlier mentioned I would really appreciate having the Page-up/Page-down for zooming added to the hotkey desires. And I'm pretty sure my other Scandinavian fellows can apply to that. (Those having keyboards including åäö and similarities where the +/- keys are widely separated and a numeric keypad is not present.)

My question is if I should ad this to Flyspray or if hotkeys are handled separately to be included in an agreed list served to Dave as of his earlier suggestion?
An example of how I use it in last beta:
Code:
diff --git a/src/chcanv.cpp b/src/chcanv.cpp
index 20dae7c..35adc01 100644
--- a/src/chcanv.cpp
+++ b/src/chcanv.cpp
@@ -1839,6 +1839,19 @@ void ChartCanvas::OnKeyDown( wxKeyEvent &event )
         else
             ZoomCanvasOut( 2.0 );
         break;
+    case WXK_PAGEUP:              // Page-up
+        if( m_modkeys == wxMOD_CONTROL ) ZoomCanvasIn( 1.1 );
+        else
+            ZoomCanvasIn( 2.0 );
+        break;
+
+    case WXK_PAGEDOWN:   // Page-down
+        if( m_modkeys == wxMOD_CONTROL ) ZoomCanvasOut( 1.1 );
+        else
+            ZoomCanvasOut( 2.0 );
+        break;

default:
         break;
Thanks Håkan
Old 04-01-2014, 05:36   #89

Boat: Amel Sharki

Hakan,
but there are no page-up or page-down keys at a Mac computer keyboard...

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 14:18   #90

Gerhard..
Ooops.. didn't know. So is that the old story - PC for engineers and text handling. Mac for art design and graphic? The first using hands and mind the latter mouse and sense? - No no forget that- I've no intention to light a fire. (And I shouldn't try to make jokes in English without having a good command. It can be wrong.)
Back to the task.
For coding it may not matter since the Page-up/down will then never appears. For handling you may have another suggestion?
Searching google for a Mac keyboard gave:
Code:
Page Up: fn key + up arrow key 
Page Down: fn key + down arrow key
Håkan