Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 09:40   #46

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.4 Beta Build 523

I gave up on compiling 523 on Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits). The problems got worse. Cmake even refused to do the initial run due to numerous problems of finding files already on board. I'm not impressed by Ubuntus way of moving files around so Cmake can't find them.........
Instead I installed a virtual Ubuntu 10.10 and compiled the package, which runs without problems (after 3 minutes testing ) on Ubuntu 11.04. The deb package for amd64 is now available on OpenCPN.org.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 19:52   #47

Boat: 29'

I like the new version and the several new features...!

but there's a few oddities I noticed in XP_sp1
there's strange treatment of my icons it calls them all "OpenCPN2" and won't use them..3.4.506 had no such problem.This was also noted by Pjotrc here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post690991

Click image for larger version

Name:	weird mark icons.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	27841

I also noticed, as others have ,that changing the position format (to decimal degrees) and a nice improvement For we "HomeCalibrators" by the way!Thanks!)... doesn't stick on a restart,but that's not really a complaint,just unexpected.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 20:15   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I gave up on compiling 523 on Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits). The problems got worse. Cmake even refused to do the initial run due to numerous problems of finding files already on board. I'm not impressed by Ubuntus way of moving files around so Cmake can't find them.........
Instead I installed a virtual Ubuntu 10.10 and compiled the package, which runs without problems (after 3 minutes testing ) on Ubuntu 11.04. The deb package for amd64 is now available on OpenCPN.org.

Thomas
Don't give up. I was able to compile after editing a cmake included file to find the appropriate libraries. I have a diff somewhere, but the file is on the other PC. It will compile.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 21:06   #49
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

Pending change:

We are considering moving the UserIcons folder to user space.

That is, ~./opencpn on linux, and {ApplicationData} on Windows.

Anyone have any issues with this?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 23:50   #50

> 112. Implement improved lat/lon parser (FS#462)
> 116. Implement improved lat/lon display patch (FS#468) Thanks Pavel

There is a very nice feature to change
"Show Lat/Long as -> Degrees, Minutes, Seconds"
But unfortunately when I leave OpenCPN this settings disappear (not saved)
when I open it again.

Pawel
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 01:28   #51

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Folks...

Dave
There are pro and cons, part of a larger issue

As OpenCpn is getting increasingly popular, many people with below average technical skills are giving it a spin.
Reading forums, they are attracted by new features that appear on betas, and which are commented on enthusiastically by seasoned users.

Now downloading betas practically entails a totally clean install.
But obviously this means losing a lot of tweaks and personal data if you are not careful, which leads to bitter disappointment

I had to issue guidelines on a French forum on what to save before wiping out the old stable or beta version.

First thing was to have people turn on hidden folders, as windows ApplicationData is, in order to save navobj.xml.

Turning to the Program Files folder, one has to manually save the pluging folder. Otherwise, they have to download many of them again, which is a good thing if there are newer version available
Here I suggest that even betas come with the full complement of up-to-date plugins

Less clear is the case of the sounds folder, where people may have added specific sounds e.g. for AIS warning
Tcdata may contain different files, such as the european atlantic and channel database
Some even tweak the S52 file for a different set of colors (e.g. the SHOM appearance) or letter size. BTW It is not easy to find out whether a new S52 file has been issued and if such tweaking must be renewed.
You already mentionned the UserIcon folder.
On top of that, some people keep .gpx waypoints/routes files in here

I have no ready-made answers...just mentioning issues for some users...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 02:18   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Dave ...

a copy of the comment I added to the tracker in FS#497:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Anyone have any issues with this?
Quote:
Dave ...

generally I see no problem.
But (at least for Windows) regarding the uninstall process actually you may also completely uninstall the application which means the complete removal of the folder in \Program Files as well as the config folder in \ProgramData.
For me the "user icons" are more like chart files. So personally I would prefer to treat them like this. One possible solution I could think of would be to add a config(urable) setting for the path to 'usericons' directory. Then we won't have anything to take care of when uninstalling the program. IMHO this would be the best choice.

But if this isn't possible moving the folder from the program files folder to the data folder would be even better than the actual situation.

Gunther
Old 27-05-2011, 04:59   #53

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post

I have no ready-made answers...just mentioning issues for some users...
I support the post Sailor54. Indeed, the warning I put on the tracker on the folder usericons deserves a much wider reflection.

Why not create a folder "opencpn_data" with appropriate subfolders. "opencpn_data / usericons", "opencpn_data/S52", "opencpn_chart" etc. ...

Each user would put its specific files

This file could then not be deleted during a deinstallation.

Do not rush. Take your time to do something practical job of forcing you to avoid too much development.

Best regards

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:34   #54

Boat: 29'

good points,sailorF54,Gilletarom...I am hiding "backups" away from new installs as well....CM93 corrections and tides, for instance.

A virgin OpenCPN is pretty good at inserting herself without wrecking most things though...a refreshing change from so many out there.It's gotta be hard to implement beta changes and improvements without overwriting something..
I don't object to moving the usericons folder by the way.I have two shortcuts to o's app data and Prgrm Files folder as it is...If I could do with one...?maybe all the "user changeables" could be in the same folder...layers,plugins too?but I write this without thinking(again!)coffee!
..Gunther's got an excellent idea too-a path in ini file? to usericons folder.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 02:14   #55

Congratulations and thanks for all the work on a new Beta!
Impressive list indeed, and I did not even manage to succeed with a rebuild...

Just a couple of points noticed in 2.4.523:

1. The lat-lon grid legend at certain zoom level displays 60 minutes, instead of going to the next degree value, zero minutes

2. At certain zoom levels the pecked DWRTPT line becomes partially solid when dragging the chart

3. For UKHO (British Admiralty) coordinate formats the lat-lon parser silently accepts the third group of digits as seconds, instead of decimal fractions of minutes of arc. This often leads to about 1/2 mile difference. For me, 90% of marks with defined positions originate from UKHO publications. In the example attached blue contour is according to OCPN 523, purple - according to UKHO.

Piotr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latlon60mins.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	27864   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWRTPT_pecked2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	27865  

Name:	latlon_BA.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	27866  
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:53   #56

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp

Quote:
The 32 bit version only difference form previus was you needed the libbz-something dev package, the name is eariler in the thread. The bug in Ubuntu finding the GTK libs are in previus versions as well.
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 09:04   #57

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by balp View Post
The 32 bit version only difference form previus was you needed the libbz-something dev package, the name is eariler in the thread. The bug in Ubuntu finding the GTK libs are in previus versions as well.
I have libbz2-dev installed and fixed the gtk issue the same way as in 2.4.506.

Still I get this when running cmake
Code:
-- *** Building opencpn  ***
-- Could NOT find Freetype (missing:  FREETYPE_LIBRARY) 
-- Some or all of the gtk libraries were not found. (missing:  GTK2_GLIBCONFIG_INCLUDE_DIR GTK2_GLIB_LIBRARY) 
CMake Error at /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:91 (MESSAGE):
  Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:252 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindOpenGL.cmake:153 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:112 (FIND_PACKAGE)
Note that I'm on amd64.
I did not have time to dig into this at the time.....and haven't looked at it since. I had trouble running ddd as well with 2.4.506 as gdb could not find the correct paths.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 21:38   #58

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp

That must be MESA-Dev, i have not yet made the 64 bit build, The 32-bit was no problem, i hope to make the 64 bit before the wind goes down and I can get out on my boat. My target is before Thursday.

Quote:
I have libbz2-dev installed and fixed the gtk issue the same way as in 2.4.506.

Still I get this when running cmake
Code:
-- *** Building opencpn  ***
-- Could NOT find Freetype (missing:  FREETYPE_LIBRARY) 
-- Some or all of the gtk libraries were not found. (missing:  GTK2_GLIBCONFIG_INCLUDE_DIR GTK2_GLIB_LIBRARY) 
CMake Error at /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:91 (MESSAGE):
  Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:252 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindOpenGL.cmake:153 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:112 (FIND_PACKAGE)
Note that I'm on amd64.
I did not have time to dig into this at the time.....and haven't looked at it since. I had trouble running ddd as well with 2.4.506 as gdb could not find the correct paths.

Thomas
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 02:48   #59

While cleaning-up the code for Route Properties I had (not quite consciously) unified the timestamp display formats between routepoints and trackpoints.

I think for trackpoints full precision is always needed, i.e. the year and seconds should be shown as well.

The corrective patch is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 0001-Fix-timestamp-display-in-2.4.523.patch.doc (2.3 KB, 61 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 07:48   #60

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
A crash occurs at nmea.cpp:731 if OpenCPN is shutdown with a GPS connected and then restarted with the GPS disconnected and then the toolbox is clicked.

A crash also occurs at nmea.cpp:670 If OpenCPN is shutdown with a GPS connected and then restarted with the GPS disconnected and then shutdown again.

Chuck
Disregard my message (#18).
Got caught as well.
I had to change the .ini file to
[Settings/NMEADataSource]
Source=None
instead of Source=serial:COMX
to go on ...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote