Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 07:22   #46
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dacust....

Is this new behavior for 2.2.823? There should be no change in this version regarding directory scanning....

How are you chart directories organized? One big dir, or several?

The reason it does what it does is in order to pick up changes in the chart directories, most often due to recent downloads of updated NOAA charts. These charts generally go into BSB_ROOT or ENC_ROOT, and overwrite the existing file. We need a scan to look for changes in the file record dates.

I suppose we could change it so that directory scans are only done it the user selects the "Rebuild.." option.

Comments?

Thanks
Dave
I don't think it is new. Haven't been in that tab for a while except to change charts, so I didn't notice.

My charts are in one directory. It has many sub-directories, some by country, some by chart type.

I don't know that it needs to automatically check for directory structure changes. So, maybe a "Force Complete Database Rebuild" and a "Check for changes" box?

Mine takes so long because of all the sub-directories. There probably aren't too many people with as many charts as I have, so I can live with it. I'll just have to remember to not make changes while navigating it tight areas.

I guess my final answer is to wait and see what other people think.

-dan
Old 24-08-2010, 07:51   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Dave
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the failure to start with existing config file?
I found out what have caused the problem ...!

As I have several installations of OCPN on my HDD (for testing purposes) my system config allows to see the Start Menu shortcuts of all users. And as the other version was installed by another user OCPN is unable to access the config dir/ files with the current user.

So if not mixing up versions installed by different users there will be no problem.

Only thing I realized so far is that every version sets the
[Settings]
ConfigVersionString
in the opencpn.ini file on startup.
So every time you start another version the Welcome message pops up again (which isn't really a problem).

Gunther
Old 24-08-2010, 08:17   #48
Marine Service Provider

Gunther....

So, again we see the need for per-user config files on Vista and Win7.

Thanks for the info
Dave
Old 24-08-2010, 09:07   #49

Boat: HR40
I have the impression that zooming in and out (cm93) and moving the map became much faster with the new version
Old 24-08-2010, 09:41   #50
Marine Service Provider

Rik-lu....

Thanks for the feedback.

We are now caching cm93 chart(cell) outlines in a private, very fast reading format on disk. You will see some new files (with ugly file names) in the directory

{config location}/cm93

I like it better, too.

Dave
Old 24-08-2010, 13:41   #51

windows 2000

Well, maybe not the most important issue...

Installer does not work and crashes. The issue could be that the system directory is C:\WINNT instead of C:\Windows. I see some problem while installing the visual C redistributable. In fact after crash some files remain in the C:\ folder ad if I manually double click "install.exe" the redistributable pack is correctly installed and OCPN starts working fine.

Ciao, Marco.
Old 24-08-2010, 13:44   #52

Land Elevation

Another small issue. In the CM93 the object Land Elevation is rendered without the elevation value. Maybe it is a useful info to see (or maybe I have to configure something for OCPN to show it...)

Ciao, Marco.
Old 24-08-2010, 14:05   #53
Marine Service Provider

Marco...

Could you please give us a lat/lon reference for your land elevation question?

Thanks
Dave
Old 25-08-2010, 00:17   #54

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Another small issue. In the CM93 the object Land Elevation is rendered without the elevation value. Maybe it is a useful info to see (or maybe I have to configure something for OCPN to show it...)

Ciao, Marco.
Got it...
CM93 uses HEIGHT attribute for LNDELV while the same is called ELEVAT in ENC. I suppose there are never both so just adding the display rule for the HEIGHT attribute looks like a harmless solution.
Fixed on nohal's RleData at master - GitHub

Pavel
Old 25-08-2010, 02:51   #55

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Rise 34 named Mango-Tango
GPX icons

Hi,
In the toolbox, etc. file, I do not have the line "show GPX icons". Is there a bug ? I have the latest beta version on Win Xp and Win 7.
Thanks
Old 25-08-2010, 02:58   #56

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmic View Post
Hi,
In the toolbox, etc. file, I do not have the line "show GPX icons". Is there a bug ?
lalmic,
the GPX import/export is integrated into Route manager dialog, icons are not needed/shown in the toolbar anymore.

Pavel
Old 25-08-2010, 04:23   #57

Quote:
Dacust....
I suppose we could change it so that directory scans are only done it the user selects the "Rebuild.." option.
I imagine you could use ftw() or similar (on linux, at least) to get the stat() info on the each file and only act on the files with the st_mtime timestamp newer than the latest parse for the release/version in use, which you could save in the config file. Maybe you are already doing that, I haven't seen the code.

One issue I have with the latest build I loaded (I think is the .deb 808) is that when I change charts (BSB) using the bottom bars, each time I get a bit of zoom out. I can reproduce it if I switch back and forth between two charts.
Old 26-08-2010, 10:49   #58

Boat: Roxane,monohull 12m (one off)
I use CM93 in several directories(depending zones and edition - old one has more details in some places here by). Since release 2 all CM directories are scanned but only the first one can be access. I have first to use cpn 1.3.6 and after it works with the new version, I can acces any directory. But if I check OK in toolbox/chart, I have to go back to 1.3.6.
Old 28-08-2010, 09:07   #59

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Angry WP and gpx, French language .. .pot

Hello Dave, bonjour,

I did not disappear and I was able to use a bit the 2.2.823 on boat.

1° WP manager :
If one created marks, if these marks are saved in a file gpx ... no problem. All is OK.
If all of the marks were suppressed to reload this file, then, the marks appear on the chart but the list of these marks do not appear in route manager.

2° French language
The .pot in source forge is two month old.

There is many new words in 2.2 .mo. These new words are not in the .pot. Then I can not translate these new items.

Is it possible to give us a recent .pot ?

Thank you.

Cordialement.

Gilletarom.
Old 28-08-2010, 10:39   #60

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave

From the 823 release notes
Quote:
39. PlugIn Manager GUI. Simple, could do a lot more. Comments appreciated. PlugIn authors please note a very slight change to API regarding descriptive text strings shown in the GUI. I have already appropriately patched the 4 PlugIns in git.
I think that all plugins needs to be treated the same. As it is now the Grib plugin has a special status where an icon and a toolbox tab can be activated. Of course it is debatable exactly which is the best interface for plugins, this will probably evolve over some time.

To give the grib plugin the same status as the other plugins, consider to:
*Do away with the grib icon. Activate the grib dialog in the right click menu, as with the other plugins.
*Do away with the Toolbox -> grib tab. The high definition choice, can be controlled by a menu when right clicking the grib dialog.

One alternative, is to do the reverse, give the other plugins the same treatment as the grib has now, but this is probably not a good way to handle an ever increasing number of plugins.

An other alternative is to reach settings for the different plugins from the Plugin Tab in the toolbox. Maybe this could be handled with some kind of sub menu.

Thomas
Closed Thread