Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 19:05   #421

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
How can the Manual get updated ?
JM...
Just create an account on opencpn.org and update it - it is a wiki.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:16   #422

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
JM...
Just create an account on opencpn.org and update it - it is a wiki.

Pavel
Thanks, I can do that, But I'm a bit hesitant since my knowledge of Linux is quite limited.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:35   #423

Boat: Phantom 19

JM...
Well, my stock of Cubie* boards as well

Don't worry, if it will be a nonsense, someone will (hopefully) fix it. Better if you start describing difficulties with writing to /usr as a normal user even though you don't know why, than if I or Sean start writing it anticipating that everybody knows...
Look at the number of revisions of the Windows build instructions - I swear I believed they were totally bulletproof at least two years ago...

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 21:32   #424

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

JM wrote:
Quote:
The solutions to all the problems I had were in this thread, but difficult (time consuming) to find.

How can the Manual get updated ?
It would be wonderful if you could correct and improve the appropriate writeup in the manual. To do this please Register here
User account | Official OpenCPN Homepage
and then log in and find your way into editing starting slowly (I would suggest).
Creating a new page (if needed, unlikely for the first effort) is a bit of a trip, and uploading images and files and linking to them can be challenging at first, but just editing is quite easy with the new interface.

Your effort will be much appreciated while it is still fresh in your mind!

If you wish you can add a complete "Comment" with how you would like to see it written up....by that I mean, step by step as you did it. then others can augment and paste and clip, or preferably just take your writeup, and pretty soon the main paragraphs are looking like some instructions you know you can follow...
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 22:04   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
JM wrote:
It would be wonderful if you could correct and improve the appropriate writeup in the manual. To do this please Register here
User account | Official OpenCPN Homepage
and then log in and find your way into editing starting slowly (I would suggest).
Creating a new page (if needed, unlikely for the first effort) is a bit of a trip, and uploading images and files and linking to them can be challenging at first, but just editing is quite easy with the new interface.

Your effort will be much appreciated while it is still fresh in your mind!

If you wish you can add a complete "Comment" with how you would like to see it written up....by that I mean, step by step as you did it. then others can augment and paste and clip, or preferably just take your writeup, and pretty soon the main paragraphs are looking like some instructions you know you can follow...
Done.

I left the CubieBoard2 page as is since I haven't actually used it.
I added a subpage for the CubieTruck; It's under the CubieBorad2, but perhaps it should have been at the same level.

JM.
Old 01-12-2014, 22:29   #426

Thanks JM

I see it is a link to your wordpress site which is where I found very good instructions earlier.
CPN Pi-lot | m/v C:\[ESC]

I see that you have this page on opencpn.org for the links
Under "Supplementary Hardware"
Installing on different systems | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Installing on different systems
Links to sites/blogs/forums with instructions for installation of OpenCPN on specific systems

That's fine but I hope you plan to keep your wordpress links up for a long time as it would be nice to keep the information available.

Also maybe there is a way to make this more similar to the installation on other platforms somehow? Just a thought.

Thanks looks very good.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59   #427

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Although not everybody is on a Cubie based system, it seems a lot of us are. It would be great if somebody just offered up a Nand image with the hardware support to download like like what is available already in vanilla form. If it had Paclink on it working, even better.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32   #428

Boat: 1983 Fu Hwa Seahorse

Quote:
Thanks JM

I see it is a link to your wordpress site which is where I found very good instructions earlier.

Links to sites/blogs/forums with instructions for installation of OpenCPN on specific systems

That's fine but I hope you plan to keep your wordpress links up for a long time as it would be nice to keep the information available.

Also maybe there is a way to make this more similar to the installation on other platforms somehow? Just a thought.

Thanks looks very good.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this post.

That's my blog, and my write-up instructions. They are for everyone (including myself) to follow and use to (re)build OpenCPN on RPi and CT devices. And I plan to keep the wordpress site up indefinitely.

But...

I didn't create this page, or update the wiki. Anyone is more than welcomed to use it however they see fit, including adding it to the OpenCPN site. If there is a format to make it similar to the installations (maybe a blank template?) it could be followed as well. I just had nothing to do with it. :-)

I can do it too -- the timing is just about perfect for that as I have been fighting Cubian to get (and more importantly keep) hardware acceleration, and I was thinking of trying a new distribution this week.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Although not everybody is on a Cubie based system, it seems a lot of us are. It would be great if somebody just offered up a Nand image with the hardware support to download like like what is available already in vanilla form. If it had Paclink on it working, even better.
This is a good idea... I'll see if I can get a better instance running this week and I'll create the image. Anyone ever extract one before and/or have good instructions on doing so?

Not familiar with Paclink, so that will likely lead to some learning curve if it's included.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15   #430

Quote:
Thanks JM

Thanks looks very good.
Not my blog !

All I did was try to follow the instructions on mattkab's blog and in the developers Wiki. But they did not work for me. Had to read through most of this thread to find the answers; Posts by BlackNav were most helpful.

So then I tried to update the developers Wiki with instructions that worked for me.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:20   #431

Quote:
Not my blog !

All I did was try to follow the instructions on mattkab's blog and in the developers Wiki. But they did not work for me. Had to read through most of this thread to find the answers; Posts by BlackNav were most helpful.

So then I tried to update the developers Wiki with instructions that worked for me.
It's all good.

I've decided to rebuild from scratch starting today, as I'm tired of fighting hardware acceleration. I will document even better and will post results on my blog and on OpenCPN later this week.

First thing to decide is what base image to start with. :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 13:35   #432

That's fine Mattkab, but at some point I think we should have a central location (why not opencpn.org) with the most up to date instructions, keeping the several blogs for reference, as they show more detail and applications, and provide examples of people that have done it.
Old 02-12-2014, 14:07   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
It's all good.

I've decided to rebuild from scratch starting today, as I'm tired of fighting hardware acceleration . I will document even better and will post results on my blog and on OpenCPN later this week.

First thing to decide is what base image to start with. :-)
I think I have the same Cubian Image as you.

What problem are you having with Hardware acceleration ?

I am seeing some problems, but I have similar problems on my Windows system.

I also tried Lubuntu but it seemed to be a bad version, could not update it.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 02-12-2014, 14:27   #434
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Silly nitpicking:

A journalist is someone who reports the news.

An embedded journalist goes with an armed forces unit wherever they go as part of the unit.

An ARM processor is a processor designed by ARM - ARM - The Architecture For The Digital World

An embedded ARM is an ARM processor embedded in a larger system, to perform certain systems. Not usually the CPU.

So, basically, in this thread people are using an ARM as a CPU. Nothing embedded about the application.

Feel free to ignore this, but I thought there may be one or two of you like me that like to be accurate in technical jargon.

-dan

From Embedded system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"An embedded system is a computer system with a dedicated function within a larger mechanical or electrical system, often with real-time computing constraints.[1][2] It is embedded as part of a complete device often including hardware and mechanical parts. Embedded systems control many devices in common use today.[3]"
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 14:34   #435

Quote:
That's fine Mattkab, but at some point I think we should have a central location (why not opencpn.org) with the most up to date instructions, keeping the several blogs for reference, as they show more detail and applications, and provide examples of people that have done it.
That's what I meant. I'll write it up on my blog since I have the writing tools on my computer to do it. I agree 100% that opencpn.org has the most up to date instructions, so I'll also recreate the instructions on the wiki (not just a link).

Quote:
What problem are you having with Hardware acceleration ?

I am seeing some problems, but I have similar problems on my Windows system.
I appear to have lost hardware acceleration after doing an apt-get update & upgrade (plus installation of some rtl-sdr code which may be the actual root cause) and I can't get it back. There is a noticeable delay when moving a map, and glxgears shows a framerate of ~40fps now.

Tags
opencpn