Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17   #46

Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
All the other stuff Im familiar with except these two items. Was wondering if you have the time to provide some more information.

Best and kind regards

/ch
These are Alfa wifi products. The Alfa 1 is a well loved usb wifi adapter. The Alfa R36 is a router that has a usb port on it that can be used for sharing wifi from an alfa 1 or even a 3/4g dongle.

George
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27   #47

Boat: On the Hard

Thanks just wanted to clarify that. Much appreciated.

To not waist bandwidth, external USB gps is supported in Android at v4 and higher. Drivers and patches are here: https://github.com/HvB/UsbGps4Droid/downloads

Its a lot simpler however on any flavour of android to use a BT GPS and BTGPS android app. Makes any android device including a cheap phone (like mine) into a gps device that can run mapping software eg: mxMariner. On larger phones with solid processors you can even run the looped version of linux discussed proviousely.
A good cheap phone for this is the Motorola Atrix 2 at 150 bucks if you google.

Best regards

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28   #48

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

thatboatguy,

I have an Alpha High Power wireless adapter. Not sure which model since I do not have it with me. Just want to make the point these devices are capable of pulling in signals from existing wifi installations - open or secured. Anybody with the appropriate software can possibly crack passwords and breach secured networks. You mentioned Backtrack. One such programs.

Still, they are only useful within a reasonable distance from your position. They do not enable you to access the internet when beyond range of the aforementioned wifi installations - like on offshore passages. just want to make that clear.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40   #49

Yes, all true. But (there's always a butt) the Alfa R36 is a router. So long as it's running and both my tablet and pc are associated with it, then pocket cloud will work (so I'm told), anywhere regardless of an internet connection. Backtrack is a collection of network security tools which we use in a "white hat" way only. That's all I need to say about that so long as no one insinuates otherwise.

Many thanks for that link to the usb gps for android download sailias. I'll test that tonight. I knew I wasn't the only one looking for something like this. I agree that blue tooth would be the way to go *if* I had blue tooth on this tablet or could figure out how to make a dongle work.

George
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42   #50

thatboatguy,

Learning more than I ever cared to know. Every time I hear the word cloud where it is related to computers makes me think of people storing their data and perhaps using programs in "cloud storage". Of course "the cloud" is a fancy word for servers. Had to look up Pocket Cloud to see how it could be used without access to the internet. Put simply, it is a fancy vncviewer. Only the commercial version will let you copy between devices, but you can use programs remotely - between your tablet and desktop or laptop computer. In order to connect the devices you still need a network. And yes, the Alpha can be used to set up a local hotspot - not attached to the internet - through which the devices can communicate.

The concept is not too dissimilar from Tore's setup. Still, for anybody on a small boat there is scant space to set up a laptop simply to access programs that can be installed and used on a tablet. This thread is devoted to OpenCpn running on an android tablet. There are linux programs available for communicating with radios and zyGrib for downloading and viewing grib files. If a sailor were to install these programs they'd probably have all they need for a passage. Leave the laptop and Alpha stowed, save the amps and leave the heavy lifting to the laptop when preparing on shore for your voyage.

The biggest task on my plate - and I hope to get some help from others finishing the task - is to determine how to connect with external devices, and maybe use a tablet's internal gps from linux.

armido
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20   #51

I think I see a problem here. Once you make an android tablet into a linux tablet... it's not really a android tablet anymore is it? I mean, Android isn't the kind of PC it is, it's the kind of operating system.

You see, my interest was in using open cpn on an "Android" tablet. That's what I googled and that's how I found this thread.

But if I've somehow stopped you from reaching your goals I apologize.

On the up side, I've learned a great deal here! So a heartfelt thanks from me. I also hope that I've helped some others who might arrive here with the same questions.

George
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07   #52

George,

Sorry this project doesn't meet your expectations.

Anyone who first reads then follows my instructions at opencpn.org will realize they are not replacing the android operating system. Their tablet is still an android tablet with an android operating system. I encourage anyone who does not know what a loop file is to do a bit of research before installing linux and OpenCpn per the instructions at opencpn.org. It is fundamentally a virtual hard drive - sized to 8 gibabytes or more per my instructions. Before the linux system can be accessed the loop file must be mounted - just like any other device. Thereafter the entire linux filesystem is accessible. It does not affect the operation of your tablet in any way. While linux is running you can switch back and forth between the two systems.

To avoid any misunderstandings and disappointments please go to Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage and read the instructions before posting in this thread.

Thanks,
armido
Old 09-12-2012, 13:10   #53

"George,

Does Pocket Cloud work offshore? I am not talking about coastal cruising within range of internet access.

Too bad about the warranty concern. Would appreciate all the input and experience available to take this as far as humanly possible.

Thanks for your participation.

armid"

Are there two of you? Whatever, I'll go start a new thread. I'll have to get instructions from you on how to "dedicate a thread" though... heh heh

Fair Winds

George
Old 09-12-2012, 14:45   #54

Boat: Mac 26X
Will I'm very glad I kept reading because I did not know the OS stayed the same. I thought Linux was being made the OS. This gives me much to think about.
Old 09-12-2012, 15:32   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
thatboatguy,

The biggest task on my plate - and I hope to get some help from others finishing the task - is to determine how to connect with external devices, and maybe use a tablet's internal gps from linux.

armido
What is the android device that you have, its version of Android, connection capabilities eg: usb? and what external devices are you trying to connect. Secondly what is the setup of the internal gps, can you associate an IP with your tablet, if so, gpsd should be able to talk to it. man gpsd is your friend.

/ch
Old 09-12-2012, 15:35   #56

OK answering my own questions after reading the entire thread again... Motorola zoom with linux on a board. It is highly unlikely that you you will be able to connect to the gps system as you are on a looped file system. So if dmesg does not detect the hardware your toast and need to use a usb or bluetooth device. If dmesg does detect your gps chip then its possible.

/ch
Old 09-12-2012, 15:36   #57

The first step is to see if the hardware is detected on the linux side.

/ch
Old 09-12-2012, 15:40   #58

Sailias,

I tried USBgps because that's the kind of gps I own, a Garmin 75. No luck. It may be because the Motorola Xoom MPT (Media Transport Protocol) requires an OTG cable which I used during this test. It does not use the USB protocol...

I'll see if I can borrow a bluetooth type gps and give it a try using BTgps.

It would be great to hear from people who have successfully installed linux (along side android) and OpenCpn on other than a Xoom. Need people with tablets using the USB Protocol to see what kind of results they get connecting to gps.

Thanks for your contribution.

Armido
Old 09-12-2012, 15:46   #59

this post may be of help then head over to xa-dev and check it out. Looks good so far..

Motorola Xoom gets USB Host feature, use USB drives and keyboards [Hack] | Android Community

/ch
Old 09-12-2012, 15:50   #60

Oh...and in case you cant get it working...Will is working on getting vector charts working on MxMariner so that will be coming sooner then later and MxMariner runs just fine on android.. Having linux on the tablet is a nice feature however. Keep at it.

/ch

Tags
opencpn