Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58   #76
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2330 Released

I think that the new cache for MMSIs is a great idea. It is nice to see the targets name available right away. I have been entering MMSIs and it has raised a few points/questions for me.

If you enter the MMSI before the target's name has been received will the name make it to the cache later?

The process to enter an MMSI is a bit unfriendly since it is done through the options page, in the future it might be better to add a button to the AIS Target Query or AIS Target List windows.

The MMSI Properties list allows for multiple entries of the same MMSI and there does not appear to be a way to sort the list. In the AIS Target Query or AIS Target Window is it possible to have a "flag" to show that a target's MMSI has been cached? The colour for a target using cached data is effective, but short lived so it is not a reliable way to keep track of MMSIs that have been entered.

I often have several tracks toggled off. Whenever I enter a new MMSI, as soon as I close the options window all AIS tracks that I had toggled off are toggled back on! It is then necessary to individually toggle the tracks I don't want displayed off.

With the "Never Track" option selected for a target, the AIS Target List window inaccurately shows "Yes" for tracking that target, but the target track is not being displayed.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14   #77
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I think that the new cache for MMSIs is a great idea. It is nice to see the targets name available right away. I have been entering MMSIs and it has raised a few points/questions for me.

If you enter the MMSI before the target's name has been received will the name make it to the cache later?

The process to enter an MMSI is a bit unfriendly since it is done through the options page, in the future it might be better to add a button to the AIS Target Query or AIS Target List windows.

The MMSI Properties list allows for multiple entries of the same MMSI and there does not appear to be a way to sort the list. In the AIS Target Query or AIS Target Window is it possible to have a "flag" to show that a target's MMSI has been cached? The colour for a target using cached data is effective, but short lived so it is not a reliable way to keep track of MMSIs that have been entered.

I often have several tracks toggled off. Whenever I enter a new MMSI, as soon as I close the options window all AIS tracks that I had toggled off are toggled back on! It is then necessary to individually toggle the tracks I don't want displayed off.

With the "Never Track" option selected for a target, the AIS Target List window inaccurately shows "Yes" for tracking that target, but the target track is not being displayed.
I just copied the MMSI file from one PC to another - no problem.
The file resides at the same directory as the .ini --> "?" help button
It's a standard .csv file so you might populate if from a data base if you like to do so.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:13   #78

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
No charting program should protect people from themselves when it comes to basic navigational skills and knowledge.

Where would you suggest that ends?

Mark
Using an electronic chart at more than 10 times its nominal scale does not strike me as a good example of basic navigational skills and knowledge...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:47   #79

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave Hello Pavel Hello to all developers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Gilletarom...
This setting applies to all chart types, as you can see on the attached screenshots with settings -5 and 5, at the same scale, completely different charts are used in the quilt (with higher value, the more detailed charts are used sooner).

Pavel
As announced in my last post, I downloaded the district cards 05 US coasts (Atlantic, including the New York area). I displayed with O, the same area as that of screenshots of Pavel.

I am able to say that with my computer, when I change the cursor position of the "Chart Zoom/Scale Weighting" item, it changes nothing. I can not see a detailed chart of the first screen copy of Pavel.

I did some testing with the US raster area 7 of the coast guards. Idem.
I tried with my NV-Verlag cards. In Holland, there are many overlays of different scales. Idem.

What I see now, for sure, was true with the two previous beta. This explains why I could not properly translate this item. This is why I said in a previous post that this item was not in his place, since my tests with the raster were not working.

I hope you will hear me. I hope you will understand that there a bug. I'll open a task on flyspray.

Best regards. Gilletarom

Nota bene : Attached is a screenshot of my PC, obtained with the value 5 for the item. I can not get more details than this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-02_OpenCPN_3.3.2330_Chart Zoom-Scale_Weighting.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	92726  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:57   #80

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

A problem with F11. At least, I think.

If I only use F11 is Ok. We go to full screen mode or out.
If I use only the "Alt" key, it's OK, it displays the new menu bar or that hides the bar.

BUT

If I use "Alt, then F11 does not work.

I guess it is not wanted.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22   #81
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Using an electronic chart at more than 10 times its nominal scale does not strike me as a good example of basic navigational skills and knowledge...

I use it to place a route line, or a measuring line, exactly under my boat. To do that I zoom right, right in.

its not navigating as such... Its using the program.

And as I have used OpenCpn for 35,000 nms I know about what I say

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:25   #82

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
I made that point. I also asked you where you suggest a charting program stops protecting people from themselves - not whether you think a certain use is valid.

Here is an example where using a chart at overzoom is valid: We are often in poorly charted, but very clear, waters. I use overzoom to carefully mark reefs and shoals on the chart as we nudge the boat to and around them so that they have more accurate positions for the next time we are going through. Having the chart and soundings blurry is not very helpful for doing this. Particularly when the only chart of the area is a large-scale soundings and the fogging happens quickly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57   #83

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Dave,
A problem with F11. At least, I think.
If I only use F11 is Ok. We go to full screen mode or out.
If I use only the "Alt" key, it's OK, it displays the new menu bar or that hides the bar.
BUT
If I use "Alt, then F11 does not work.
I guess it is not wanted.
Gille..
I'm on WinXP and experience the same pattern but I think it is as it should:
If I use F11 to enter full screen - OK
If I then press and release the Alt to show the menu and after that press F11 it's not toggling the full screen, and that's fare, because:
The first Alt-press makes the menu active and then the focus is moved to the menu bar so that you can navigate in the menu with for example the arrow keys. When menu has focus the F11 toggling can't work. You have to first leave the menu. (Alt or Esc or mouse click or use the menu function)
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21   #84
Marine Service Provider

Nevermind...

You have encountered this bug:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1690673

This will be corrected soon.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23   #85
Marine Service Provider

Håkan...

I will build and test the PlugIn this evening, and see what's going on...

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36   #86

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Dave Hello Pavel Hello to all developers,

As announced in my last post, I downloaded the district cards 05 US coasts (Atlantic, including the New York area). I displayed with O, the same area as that of screenshots of Pavel.

I am able to say that with my computer, when I change the cursor position of the "Chart Zoom/Scale Weighting" item, it changes nothing. I can not see a detailed chart of the first screen copy of Pavel.

I did some testing with the US raster area 7 of the coast guards. Idem.
I tried with my NV-Verlag cards. In Holland, there are many overlays of different scales. Idem.

What I see now, for sure, was true with the two previous beta. This explains why I could not properly translate this item. This is why I said in a previous post that this item was not in his place, since my tests with the raster were not working.

I hope you will hear me. I hope you will understand that there a bug. I'll open a task on flyspray.

Best regards. Gilletarom

Nota bene : Attached is a screenshot of my PC, obtained with the value 5 for the item. I can not get more details than this screenshot.
Gilletarom...
Sorry, but your screenshot is unfortunately of very little use. It does not show where you are and which charts are available there. I hear you, but am not sure about a bug at all...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46   #87
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

Sorry to bother you.

Could you include a similar screenshot of the US Coast "Eatons Neck" with full screen, to show the chart selector bar at the bottom, like this:

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zoom1.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	92732  
Old 02-12-2014, 06:54   #88

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

Two issues...

Fresh install today.. Added CM chartsource panning to my area, started zooming in - crash.
Tried in both GL mode and standard - same crash. Submitted crash report.

Another approach - zoomed in and then pan to my area, worked fine.
Running Windows 8

When in overzoom scale 3200 every thing looks fine, but next zoom stage at scale 1600 every chartdetail turn blurry and unreadable... This is both in GL and standard. See enclosed pictures...
Also added comment to FS#1591
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scale 1600 12x.PNG
Views:	185
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	92734   Click image for larger version

Name:	scale 3200 6.1x.PNG
Views:	176
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	92735  

HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15   #89

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Compile of most recent w/ git fetch --all, git pull

Code:
Build succeeded.

"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.vcxproj" (default target) (8) ->
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default target) (10) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(632): warning C4005: 'M_PI' : macro redefinition [C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\opencpn.vcxproj]

1 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22   #90

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Håkan...

I will build and test the PlugIn this evening, and see what's going on...

Thanks
Dave
Dave.. You're so generous .

A tip to a fast way to view the Radar menu. (It's not shown until an active radar is present.)
In plugin preferences for BR24Radar_pi change from "Chart overlayed..." to "Emulator" mode.
Then give OCPN a position and a heading and the Emulator emulates an active BR24 radar IP connection. Just click the BR24 - icon when returned from Tools and the menu appears.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn