Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2009, 22:12   #256

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Nope, still doesn't work on Vista (haven't tried XP). I've tried turning text on and off, switching chart decks, etc. without success. It's just a regular Dell scroll wheel mouse so it's nothing fancy. The scroll wheel works with all other applications on the PC, including this browser window, so it's definitely something peculiar with openCPN.
Old 27-06-2009, 23:04   #257

Boat: Fantasia 35
Dave,

The scroll wheel now work great on XP sp3.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 28-06-2009, 01:13   #258

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Unhappy Boot BIOS menu on HP Pavilion (installing Linux Ubutu)

Respond To ==> blubaju,

Looking to your problem description, you don't' have a Ubuntu problem, but you fail to boot a CD . If you were trying to boot an other version of Windows, the exact same problem would occur, isn't it ?

I do not have a Pavilion and unfortunately cannot reproduce the problem, nevertheless I installed Linux hundreds of time on many different machines. I can assert that depending on vendors BIOS access to boot menu is well hidden (I though Toshiba was the worse, but looks like HP is now trying to compete ).

Scanning the web for "HP Pavilon boot menu" look like HP set up its BIOS menu time-out to zero, which mean that you should continuously press on F2 after powering off your computer.

Note: Full power off computer is often critical, because some vendors post BIOS menu after full power off, but do not after simple reboot. In case of doublt press your laptop power bouton 3s to make sure you have a full power off.

Conclusion:
  • Full power off computer (3s on power switch)
  • Press F2 each 0.2s during all boot process
  • Access BIOS
    • Make sure your CD is 1ST in boot list
    • Change BIOS time-out to something more useful (ex: 2s)
Fulup
Old 28-06-2009, 01:14   #259

Boat: Dufour 35
blubaju:
Quote:
tried to install ubuntu 9.04 32 live cd on a hp pavillion, no way, F-keys work, whatever else (install, memory test, run from liveCD) no reaction, tried all available setting (F4 & F6), nothing. Spend 6 h reading ubuntu help sites. Any other LINUX suggestion? a live cd download in my place takes about 15h!
Ubuntu is linux, actually based on the development version of Debian.
So don't restrict yourself only to Ubuntu when looking for help.
Here are two links, leading to user-experiences actually installing different versions of HP Pavillion.
Linux on HP Laptops & Notebooks
Tutorial for installing Ubuntu Linux on HP Pavilion Laptops | Nobody was Born with Linux Knowledge

Google and you will find more .
What model of HP Pavillion do you have?

Thomas
Old 28-06-2009, 02:14   #260

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
fulup, it does appear like he's getting boot of cd and the first live cd menu:

"install, memory test, run from liveCD) no reaction"

Perhaps it doesnt launch if the memory is too low? Never heard anything like it.. PEBKAC perhaps..
Old 28-06-2009, 02:45   #261

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Memory test will run even with 60M of RAM

If CD boot but fail, then the CD was badly created, or CD-reader is not working properly. Even with 128M or less, you can still install Linux (which does not mean it is a good idea ).
  • If your CD try to boot (you normally sea some blinking light)
  • if your CD boot you should see the syslinux prompt asking for
    • run Linux live CD
    • install Linux
    • test memory
If test memory does not run, then CD is wrong, memory test does not even use Linux, it is a direct executable binary, and run on any machines, and this from less than 32M of RAM.

Conclusion:
  • If you do not see CD boot menu
    • try to boot an other CD (ex: windows rescue, ....)
    • try your cd on an other computer
    • reburn a CD
    • use Ubuntu CD testing facility (can assert both your CD and your CD reader).
    • move out from CD and use a USBstick
  • if you see CD boot menu start, but fail to start MemTest
    • reburn CD
    • use a USB stick to boot
    • if ubuntu boot process start, but fail. That and other story, send us the error log.
Booting from a USB stick is my prefered option. It should work on any modern computers. In order to do so
  • Download Ubuntu ISO image
  • Download Unetbootin
  • Install Ubuntu iso image with Unetbootin on your usbstick (1G mini)
  • Boot your USB stick
Booting from USB have clear advantages:
  • you do not have to burn a CD
  • you do not face the risk on a CD I/O error.
Disavantage:
  • booting from USB is not supported on old PC/Laptop,
  • you may still have I/O error . Usbstick are far to be as releable as most people may though.
Old 28-06-2009, 04:24   #262

Boat: Etap 28i Wrenna III
Thanks a lot, Dave, and congratulations. No problem to overwrite the previous version this time. No more "jetty problem", whatever the place. The scroll wheel works fine. Great job.
Now I have three icons on my desktop : two shortcuts (OpenCPN 1.3.0 and OpenCPN Beta), and another one : OpenCPN_Beta_Setup. What am I to do with them ?
I suppose I can throw the first shortcut into the bin. What about the other two ?
Old 28-06-2009, 05:03   #263
Marine Service Provider

Wrenna...

You may safely delete shorcuts

OpenCPN 1.3.0 and OpenCPN_Beta_Setup.

Thanks for the feedback
Dave
Old 28-06-2009, 06:27   #264

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
If CD boot but fail, then the CD was badly created,
Thanks, you got it, BUT it does boot up to the first ubuntu menu and accepts all function keys. Upon selecting live cd, install, memory test, disk test, the cd works for some time, then stops without any action. Tried it on my main pc (wanted to avoid that, removed my xp-hd to be sure), all tests failed, maybe an error in the iso (15h download!!), 1. time an error like that since cd exist

will download a new iso, usb is a no-go on a 4 year old hp pavillion dv4000. P4Centrino 1.6GHz, 1 GB, 100GB HD, think this should do.

Don't worry, I am not new to PC, only new to Linux, this is Admirals pc, thought her surfing she could do on a linux machine too and I learn how to use it

As I am new to Linux and there are different resporitories and I have no clue about compilation of the programs I thought, if there is one only directly supported by openCPN, i give it a try, this the reason for asking.

So thanks all, back to openCPN or Dave will eliminate me
Old 28-06-2009, 07:36   #265
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Beta works great. Love the scroll-zoom.

Could you add a distance scale on the screen?

I am going to test all the duplicates in the Netherlands charts. Here's the plan:
  1. >tools
  2. >charts
  3. Delete active chart directory
  4. delete chart I am going to test from C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\opencpn\SENC - both >BMP and S57
  5. Add chart directory with just the file to be tested.
Will that work? Is step 4 necessary?

The "Remaining times" are entertaining.
The initial time is WAY off. If the total time for the chart is something between 1-2 minutes or less, it looks pretty good. If it is over, looks like it gets exponentially worse. At 1000/????, it's off, at 2000/???? it's off, but then at 3000/??? it looks reasonable.

Here is a sample:
1000/7129 Elapsed 1:21 Estimated 1:58:49 Remaining 1:57:28
2000/7129 Elapsed 1:50 Estimated 1:58:49 Remaining 1:56:59
3000/7129 Elapsed 2:17 Estimated 0:05:25 Remaining 0:03:08
4000/7129 Elapsed 2:45 Estimated 0:05:25 Remaining 0:02:40
5000/7129 Elapsed 3:13 Estimated 0:05:25 Remaining 0:02:12
6000/7129 Elapsed 3:32 Estimated 0:04:11 Remaining

Then it finished so fast I didn't catch any more.

Also, many times the screen comes up blank until the 1000 update and a few times it didn't come up until the 2000 update.

I am on a P4, so it's kinda slow. On a faster machine it may work more reasonably. Also, this does not affect usability, so I'm sure it would be very low on your list...

-dan
Old 28-06-2009, 10:18   #266
Obsfucator, Second Class

Possibly a little higher on the list (not much higher...)

When I start up fresh, loading something with 10,000 takes about a minute. After I have loaded several charts, the times slow down. After about 10-15, the times are about 10-12 minutes for the same complexity chart. I end the program, start back, and the times are quick again. Also, after loading a bunch, it takes an inordinately long time to shut down.

Back to the time estimates, it appears you only update the estimated time every 3000.

BUT, it has faithfully loaded every single chart, so far. I am over halfway through the Netherlands charts. Haven't started on the duplicates, yet.

A thought for another feature: When I was looking at US charts, where I have both ENC and raster charts, if I am looking at an ENC and move to a new location, it brings up a raster. Could there be an option in Tools for chart type default? Like:
When loading a new chart, default to:
  • ENC
  • Raster
  • CM93
  • Same as last chart displayed.

And to get fancier, maybe allow you to put it in order of preference. So if I default to "Last Displayed", but there wasn't one, it would then look at my second choice, etc.
-dan
Old 28-06-2009, 11:05   #267

Thank you for the effort. I have about 30,000 miles, since 1997, on older NavTrek and VNS software.

Issues

GPS
A Dell Inspiron 1520 with 4 com ports 4, 11, 12, 13. Using a “hockey puck” antenna the program only recognizes #4. I have changed the ini file with no success. Unplugging and replugging on com 4 requires a reboot for program to recognize.

An older HP with 2 com ports (11 & 12). As above, but does recognize a Garmin 76cx in either port. The NEMA data source is listed as “GARMIN”. Unplugging and replugging IS recognized.

An electronic log (lat, long, course, boat speed, etc) with choice of intervals would be nice.

A vessel track is interesting and of some value when evaluating charts which are off, currents, etc.

Active waypoints don’t seem to do anything re range and bearing to them.
Old 28-06-2009, 17:13   #268
Marine Service Provider

For dacust....

Could you please refresh my memory. What type of system do you use? Linux/Windows? Processor speed? Ram Size?
Your chart load times seem excessive. Are the times you quote for SENC creation, or simple chart loading after SENC creation?

btw, there is an S52 compatible distance scale on the screen. It is the orange/grey or black/grey vertical bar at lower left. Orange scale is 1 NM, black is 10 NM.

I'm considering a more intuitive scale bar display for the next version.

Wondering....
Dave
Old 28-06-2009, 18:16   #269
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
For dacust....

Could you please refresh my memory. What type of system do you use? Linux/Windows? Processor speed? Ram Size?
Your chart load times seem excessive. Are the times you quote for SENC creation, or simple chart loading after SENC creation?

btw, there is an S52 compatible distance scale on the screen. It is the orange/grey or black/grey vertical bar at lower left. Orange scale is 1 NM, black is 10 NM.

I'm considering a more intuitive scale bar display for the next version.

Wondering....
Dave
Aha. I knew it changed with the zoom, but didn't know what it meant.

I am on a Pentium 4 XP box w/1gb ram, so it's kinda slow. The times were for a new load. That is, when I first try to display the chart on the screen. If I exit the program, next time it is seconds. Then if it is in memory, almost instantaneous. That initial load time is what I saw increasing as I went.

Also, I found if I click on the screen during that, or switch to another window, it hangs, then if I fire up another program, I get the Windows message that OpenCPN encountered an error and has to close.

PS: I said I wasn't going to do more updates until I had the final list of charts, but as long as I'm writing...

I used Fugawi viewer, fired it up 3 times so I could look at the charts side by side. Went through the 24 duplicates and chose the best ones. BUT I discovered that some looked different even though they were the same size. The list is on the last link on this page. So now I got 30-40 more to go through... It never ends.

-dan
Old 29-06-2009, 09:39   #270

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
my crashing problem has gone after recompiling with Glu - thanks for the hint. Hope you didn't waste too much time on that one. Best regards, Max
Closed Thread