Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 01:21   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OCPN Draw 1.4 available

I downloaded the most recent version,and tried installing twice to v4.8.0. Can you think of a reason it would not show in the Plugins List? (incompatible wxWidgets?)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:12   #32

Jon, from the log file:

10:17:56 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
10:17:56 PM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll' (error 127: the specified procedure could not be found.)
10:17:56 PM: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
10:17:56 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\vdr_pi.dll
10:17:56 PM: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\vdr_pi.dll
API Version detected: 106
PlugIn Version detected: 4
Old 22-11-2017, 10:24   #33

Tried removing all references to ocpn_draw in the ini, save the ini file. Run uninstall ocpn_draw. Then reninstall. Still the same.

:18:07 AM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
7:18:07 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll' (error 127: the specified procedure could not be found.)
7:18:07 AM: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi.dll
7:18:07 AM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 4.8.0\plugins\otcurrent_pi.dll
Old 22-11-2017, 12:07   #34

Boat: Richter 42

Hi Rick,
It is to do with the version of wxWidgets I have installed, 3.0.3, which has moved some functionality around. I have just uploaded another test release to git and you will find OCPN and OD there. I have installed and run these, so they should work.

It took a while for me to find the issue as the error messages were not too helpful. But the wxWidgets in the 'special' windows file is not compatible with 3.0.3, so I copied over the new dll's and packaged them in the version in the OD git repository test version.

Try this:
https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_dra...ses/tag/1.4.24

Regards
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:09   #35

Hi Rick,
According to this page, https://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/, 3.0.3 is currently the stable version, 3.1.0 is the new development version, and 2.8.12 is the previous stable version.

Regards
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Jon,
I always seem to be playing catchup:
"The current version of wxWidgets when you are installing it is 3.0.3,..."

I thought it was 3.0.2 but I know TDan uses 3.0.3 sometimes. Has it been officially changed to 3.0.3? If so would someone please announce this?

What problems are we likely to run into?

Thanks.
Old 22-11-2017, 20:52   #36

Okay Jon,
I will download both the pi and your version of opencpn v4.8.0 which is compatible with ocpn_draw now.

I don't believe it will be compatible with the other pi that have been compiled with 3.0.2 wxwidgets, but maybe we are lucky and they will work. I'll try them and see!
Old 23-11-2017, 02:13   #37

Jon,
I downloaded your Version of Opencpn4.8.0 and Ocpn_draw 1.4.24 and installed them.
Ocpn 4.8.0 would only install by overwriting my stable original version of 4.8.0 from bdbcat downloads page. (I would like to know exactly what is different? -IE just the wxWidgets which are 3.0.3?)

The plugin was installed after removal of the older version via the uninstall program.

When I enabled and then opened the Draw Toolbar it is empty, but the particular tool that is active does work. Somehow, with certain clicks I can change the active draw tool, but I have not figured out what sequence does this. I wondered if the icons are missing or something, but the active toolbar icons seem to work and draw properly, so it is not that. I have not gotten it into PIL mode. Sorry this is vague, but tomorrow morning I'll try some more.

The weather_routing plugin seemed to work on one configuration. Dashboard appears to work, Grib & ChartDwnlder seem to work, at first VF_pi was hanging up but then it started working. So these may work ok, time will tell.
Old 20-12-2017, 10:26   #38

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Jongough, Bonjour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hi Rick,
It is to do with the version of wxWidgets I have installed, 3.0.3, which has moved some functionality around. I have just uploaded another test release to git and you will find OCPN and OD there. I have installed and run these, so they should work.
Try this:
https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_dra...ses/tag/1.4.24
Jon
I did a quick test of this version but obviously, Draw does not appear. I did not want to put the bazaar in my version of OpenCPN 4.8. So, I will not do any additional testing, at least until an agreement is reached with Dave.
In my memory, the previous version changes of wxWidget have always been difficult and each time resulted in difficulties with alpha users because we had to change all versions of all plugins.
Gilletarom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 12:01   #39

Hi Gilletarom,
The install file has wxWidgets 3.0.3 in it as that is the only version I have after having to reinstall windows and everything else due to a hard disk failure. However, OD should compile quite happily with wxWidgets 3.x (one of the testers is using 3.1 and it is fine). The wxWidgets site does not have 3.0.2 available for download, so I am a bit stuck building for the non-current stable version.

I know changing versions of widgets causes problems, it did for me in testing as mixed versions do NOT work very well. The only thing I can suggest is that someone with the OCPN version of widgets does a build for windows and sends it to me and I will load it up in GIT for people to test with.

Regards
Jon
Old 20-12-2017, 12:10   #40

Quote:
The install file has wxWidgets 3.0.3 in it as that is the only version I have after having to reinstall windows and everything else due to a hard disk failure.
I can pack up wxWidgets 3.0.2 and upload to Opencpn File thingie for you, so we are all on the same page. Pavel did this for me once when starting out.

Quote:
However, OD should compile quite happily with wxWidgets 3.x (one of the testers is using 3.1 and it is fine).
Will try now

Quote:
I know changing versions of widgets causes problems...
Yes, it always seems to shoot us in the foot as Gille confirms.
I'll Compile a version and send it.
Old 20-12-2017, 12:32   #41

Hi,

try

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjob...4.40-win32.exe

If it works with 4.8.0 you can create a free account on appveyor.com with your github handle and every push on github will be compiled with their farm.
Caveats:
- For now 32 bits.
- Use opencpn.lib from sf.net so up to 1.13 plugin version only.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 12:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
Hi, try
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjob...4.40-win32.exe

If it works with 4.8.0 you can create a free account on appveyor.com with your github handle and every push on github will be compiled with their farm. Caveats: - For now 32 bits.
- Use opencpn.lib from sf.net so up to 1.13 plugin version only.

Did-g this is very interesting and might be a huge improvement to releases. I saw your github pr. I don't understand it all at this point but will try it.

I have found that several plugins require the more current opencpn.lib-v4.8.0 (1.14 ) with 135kb because of improvements made for ocpn_draw etc.

How would that affect the tool?
Old 20-12-2017, 12:50   #43

Jeez Whiz! I am now downloading Opencpn v 1.4.40! but it is only 733kb?? -- zLATER - This is for ocpn_draw 1.4.40 not opencpn! NICE.

I got on the website and it is Free for OpenSource. It is asking for access to my email account, personal info and access to the group "OpenCPN".

I wanted to know what they are going to do with my personnal info. - I DO NOT want it going to google, ms, yahoo or others!!!
Absolutely not. I could find nothing about that in my short search. I started to use my github account....

What do you know about this security/privacy aspect?
Also they say we are responsible for any 3rd party charges that might occur.. What? I am uncertain about signing up because of these questions, and I would like a review by someone about giving them access to the group "Opencpn" that is on github.
Old 20-12-2017, 13:52   #44

Jon, I downloaded ocpn_draw-1.4.40 from the link that did-g provided. It works with my version of Opencpn v4.8.0.
I have tried all of the functions:

PIL
Works fine, I have a question about seeing a 1 degree difference between the centerline and the offset lines sometimes. Also sometimes the graphic lines don't appear to be parallel, why might that be happening? Does it have something to do with the length of these lines and great circle?

Is there a way to shorten the offset lines to be the same length as the center line?
Also is there a way to attach it to the boat again?

I did multiple index lines. (3)

I couple of times the only way to delete a pil was to do it from the ODmanager. Don't know why but the right click did not seem to bring up the OD properties window. Later it worked the way I expected.

DR
You have expand this a lot and it is more flexible.

I would really like to have a right click selection that would allow a "Rotate around the boat" that would allow the end point to be moved anywhere with respect to the boat and the current distance/time settings would stay the same.

I would also really like a "Rubberband from boat" feature that would allow placement of the end point anywhere, and the distance would be divided up evenly and the time and distance recalculated in the properties window. This would be more graphic use and probably lead to greater use of this feature.

EBL This is working beautifully.

Boundary Also working great.

Very nice work.

Do you want wxwidgets 3.0.2 uploaded to file thingie?
Old 20-12-2017, 13:53   #45

Hi,
I do have a version of wxWidgets 3.0.2 but I only have VS 2017 and this version of widgets does not compile with this version of VS. Trying to install multiple versions of VS environment is really painful and has HUGE data downloads and I am on a slow and download limited internet connection. So I am affraid at the moment I am a bit stuck.

I looked at appveyor, but didn't like the read/write access to my repositories and my email, so I stopped the registration process. So at the moment I am affraid new development versions of OD will need to be compiled for windows by someone else as my versions use wxWidgets 3.0.3. Sorry about that.

Jon