Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 17:25   #1

Boat: Richter 42
OCPN Draw 1.2 available

Hi,
The new version of OCPN Draw is now available for download.

The main new feature is the ability to draw Guard Zones. These are radial segments centred on the boat which can either rotate with the boat (like they do on a radar screen) or maintain a direction from the boat independent of the direction or heading of the boat. The Guard Zone can be used by the Watchdog plugin so alarms can be set on it.

There are minor changes:
  • A line crossing check capability which is used by the Watchdog plugin to speed up the testing of boundary incursion.
  • Permanent Layers
  • More included icons for OD points
  • Ability to turn on/off all OD Point icons in a boundary
  • ODAPI - a C API capability to help speed up boundary checking
The have been some minor fixes as well to make existing functionality work better.

Regards
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 00:29   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OCPN Draw 1.2 available

Jon
Thanks, build and works fine in Win-10/XP and O 4.4.0. Haven't yet tested all functions but I do like to be able to hide the boundary icons.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 00:45   #3

And this was nice as well:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD_AIS.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	127853  
Old 16-07-2016, 01:06   #4

Tkanks to jongough ODraw is powerfull tool. I played with it a bit and created some gpx files, which can be usefull.
However, one navigational tool is missing - Paralel Index Lines - commonly used in radar/ARPA/ECDIS software.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx head-beam-lights.gpx (9.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: gpx GZ Port-Stbd-Aft.gpx (6.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: gpx Maas approach.gpx (57.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: gpx Friesland-Off Texel.gpx (29.3 KB, 68 views)
stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 01:11   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stow View Post
However, one navigational tool is missing - Paralel Index Lines - commonly used in radar/ARPA/ECDIS software.
Can please submit some screenshot and/or a pointer to usage cases/manuals?
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 01:28   #6

Hi,
I am afraid the documentation has not caught up with OD yet. But if you are using GPX files and want to have permanent layers they are now supported. You place the GPX files into a subdirectory called 'Layers' of the ocpn_draw_pi folder, for Linux this is '~/.opencpn/plugins/ocpn_draw_pi/Layers', for windows this is 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\ocpn_draw_pi\Layer s'. The Layers directory is alongside the data directory which holds the OD navigation files and the UserIcons directory (new for this release as well) that has a new selection of icons to use on OD points.

I hope the doco will catch up soon, but I was more focused on getting the new functionality out rather than updating the manual.

Regards
Jon
Old 16-07-2016, 02:47   #7

bcn
Parallel Index Lines

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...RNM/310ch4.pdf
and many more- use google
In ODraw EBL can be used, but both points has to be defined in relation to the boat, not by geographical coordinates - which need again jongough programming skils
Old 17-07-2016, 01:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Can please submit some screenshot and/or a pointer to usage cases/manuals?
Parallel Index Line

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...RNM/310ch4.pdf
and many more- use google

ODraw EBL could be used as PI Line, but Start & End points has to be defined in relation to the moving boat (bearing & distance). With option "rotate with boat" activated it should work, I think. Jongough programming skills are needed
Old 17-07-2016, 19:33   #9

I think what you are asking for is to use an EBL to draw the proposed route segments then allow parallel lines to be created to that EBL such that you can move them sideways to touch parts of the chart you are interested in. Is that correct?

Jon
Old 17-07-2016, 21:23   #10
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

This is a concept similar to the Guard Zone: you are carrying the parallel index line with you while sailing.
Another concept would be a generic boundary as a safety zone travelling with the boat.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 01:09   #11

Jon
In Win10
The Opencpn.log file is flooded with entries like this:
9:28:46 PM: Guard Zone, with GUID: 45dfffff-8a05-4f69-9638-43767acaffff, not found
Although no mark from whom is the creator I suppose it's connected to WD or OD. I also suppose it's from WD where a GUID is set but no longer present in OD?
That situation is likely to be rather common but it would be enough with one log entry for each GUID, wouldn't it?
See attached logfile. Pls delete .pdf
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (450.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 19-07-2016, 01:26   #12

Håkan,
This message is generated in the JSON message processing. In this case the GUID is not known to OD so it logs this so that the user can correct the error. I suppose the originator of the message should react to this and stop sending the message.

In this case you have an active alarm which is looking to see if a point is inside a boundary with this GUID. Currently the Boundary Anchor watch uses this message.

I will look and see if I can modify the process so that the originator can act on the information and stop sending the requests.

Jon
Old 19-07-2016, 01:43   #13

Parallel Index lines are mentioned in Annex to IMO res.A893(21)-Guidelines For Voyage Planning.
Section 4- Appraisal
"Additional information which should be marked on the charts include: ..... Parallel index lines should also be drawn where appropriate."
Section 6- Monitoring, point (j)
"Radar can be used to advantage in monitoring the position of the vessel by the use of parallel indexing, which is a simple and most effective way of continuously monitoring that a vessel is maintaining its track in restricted coastal waters. Parallel indexing can be used in any situation where a radar-conspicuous navigation mark is available and it is practicable to monitor continuously the vessel’s position relative to such an object. It also serves as a valuable check on the vessel’s progress when using an electronic chart."

IMO requirement is good reason to have this tool included in OCPN tools, I think

PI line is the line perpendicular to EBL (point of rotation is ODraw EBL End point) and for user is defined by distance from the boat and direction (from north or relative to heading). Length is not defined- the line fill whole screen (depends on the range/scale).Sometimes I use radar/ECDIS EBL with offset from the boat as substitute.
If jongough decide to extend ODraw EBL for PI lines, I suggest to include option show/hide for VRM,EBL,PI (now show/hide is for VRM) and abitity to offset EBL with relation to moving boat.

attached are screenshoots of radar screen with 2 PI lines, 2 EBL and VRM showing relation between them and ECDIS screen with 2 PI lines, 1 EBL+VRM with offset from the center and 1 EBL centered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Radar.pdf (335.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf ECDIS.pdf (396.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 19-07-2016, 17:11   #14

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

As I understand it, a Perallel Line (or offset line) would be parallel to EBL with a precise distance offset.

To use these for turning there will be need to have the ability to draw separate lines (distinct from the EBL which has the offsets or parallel line) to determine the point of turning. perhaps use another EBL?

I like the the idea behind this practical tool.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 19:28   #15

Hi,
I am now thinking about the implementation of this into 1.3.x, the current beta version.

As an idea would an EBL type object attached to the boat giving direction and one or more offset lines giving the 'Parallel Index' (PI) be a solution. Then the direction of the lines would be adjusted by moving the EBL endpoint and the offset by dragging the line or updating a 'properties' page.

In this case does the EBL type object need to 'rotate with boat' or is it going to be fixed in direction unless the user updates it?

Should we move this discussion to a new thread for the 1.3 beta?

Jon