Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 00:10   #1126

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Hi Dave, Is it possible to make a button, which makes it possible to equalize HDT to COG.
A config entry would do for me, but I did need such feature indeed. I had a faulty fluxgate compass, that I did not want to remove physically from the NMEA network until the diagnosis will be complete. In this case it would be very useful to be able to instruct OCPN to ignore the HDG, HDT, etc.. sentences.

P.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 02:12   #1127

Boat: Najad391

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
A config entry would do for me, but I did need such feature indeed. I had a faulty fluxgate compass, that I did not want to remove physically from the NMEA network until the diagnosis will be complete. In this case it would be very useful to be able to instruct OCPN to ignore the HDG, HDT, etc.. sentences.

P.
I have the same problem and fully agree
//Jan
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 02:38   #1128

Boat: Raider 35

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1340357089

Hi Dave,

I use 3.0

All de best,

Tracker.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 01:02   #1129

Boat: Twin Vee, 22 Hawaiian 22'

When I started an AIS station for marinetraffic.com I discovered OpenCPN and am excited to become a part of developing a great program! I use OpenCPN on Linux at home just to watch the local traffic and recently I installed it on my Windows computer that I bring to work to see how it performs in the real world.

I work as a deck officer on a coastal oil tanker and hold an upper-level merchant mariner's license. I know the program is developed for cruisers, so as I provide input, I'll keep that in mind. We use Coastal Explorer at work and I've also used The Capn' (horrible program) and Nobletec Admiral.

Here's my top 10 list (or first 10 list) of things I would like to see done:

(1) Bug fix: I connect to an AIS source through a pilot plug. My own-ship icon does not line up with the gyrocompass head. (It does on the ship's navigational computer, so it's not the AIS.) I have only used the program at anchor, so I don't know if it will move when we get underway.
(2) When loading new charts into the quilt I want them to completely load so they are ready to use. I don't care how long it takes initially as long as when I go to use them they appear quickly so the program doesn't make me wait while all the features load-up. (Something about creating a SENC file) This is maddening for route-planning over long distances. Also, I'd like these files to be in the same place as my charts folder (I install my charts on a different hard drive partition.)
(3) AIS and own-ship icon sizes. I would like to see the size of the icons correspond to the size of the vessel (as transmitted over AIS). Also, re-sizing the own-ship should be easier - I don't want to edit the config file every time I go on a different ship. Also, for ease of use, be able to input data as feet or meters.
(4) I would like to see "Boundary Circles" separated from "Marks". Main reason for this is to make boundaries or anchor alarms more user-friendly. I should be able to name them and re-size them. Also, clicking on the edge of a boundary circle and dragging to re-size it would be nice - not just inputting the size in a box.
(5) I really like the chart viewing options in this program, especially being able to choose exactly which features to view on vector charts. I haven't seen this in any other program. However, I would like a toggle button to choose between vector and raster charts. I like the chart options at the bottom of the screen, but I wish they weren't put all together - maybe make two lines - one for vector and another for raster.
(6) The window for viewing route information (XTE, TTG, etc) need a bit of work. Making it customizable would be great too because different vessels benefit from different information.
(7) Degrees of lattitude changed from three digits to two digits, COG always displayed as a three digit number (ie 090°), "NMi" changed to "NM", addition of a degree symbol (27° 50.1241' N), and whatever other little oddities I haven't mentioned that would only annoy people like me. :P
(8) US5TX27M.000 (Aransas Pass, TX) chart does not display - don't know why - just writing this in case it applies to other charts.
(9) Ability to customize the menu bar and the addition of other menu items such as North Up / Course Up, Full Screen (or Cruise Mode), etc.
(10) Lost GPS/AIS alarm. It's great that own-ship changes color, but there really should be an alarm.

Okay - so hopefully someone will take some of these ideas and run with them. If I ever figure out how to program, this is definitely a project I'd like to work on!
Chris Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 02:10   #1130
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Chris,

interesting inputs. Some questions and remarks below.

Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pinkerton View Post

(1) Bug fix: I connect to an AIS source through a pilot plug. My own-ship icon does not line up with the gyrocompass head. (It does on the ship's navigational computer, so it's not the AIS.) I have only used the program at anchor, so I don't know if it will move when we get underway.
As I understand the heading is actually taken from the GPS, so without movement no (correct) heading

Quote:
(3) AIS and own-ship icon sizes. I would like to see the size of the icons correspond to the size of the vessel (as transmitted over AIS). Also, re-sizing the own-ship should be easier - I don't want to edit the config file every time I go on a different ship. Also, for ease of use, be able to input data as feet or meters.
This request did appear already several times. How do you handle in real life the problem of ship static data with wrong ship parameters? We have observed that especially the size related data are quite often wrong - and commercial ships are not that much better than pleasure crafts in this aspect

Quote:
(6) The window for viewing route information (XTE, TTG, etc) need a bit of work. Making it customizable would be great too because different vessels benefit from different information.
Can you explain this it bit more

Quote:
(7) Degrees of lattitude changed from three digits to two digits, COG always displayed as a three digit number (ie 090°), "NMi" changed to "NM", addition of a degree symbol (27° 50.1241' N), and whatever other little oddities I haven't mentioned that would only annoy people like me. :P
No problem with rantings.....
And an item is not in line with the standards we should know that at least

Quote:
(10) Lost GPS/AIS alarm. It's great that own-ship changes color, but there really should be an alarm.
User settable option?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 11:17   #1131
Marine Service Provider

Chris...

Welcome aboard. Glad to hear some input from someone at sea regularly on something other than a yacht.

Code:
This is a known bug. See Flyspray # 819. I assume the Pilot Plug provides AIVDO messages, which will contain ships head information. This info is not utilized properly on 3.0.0. Will be fixed real soon now.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 12:44   #1132

Thanks, Dave, for answering question #1! That was a quick fix.

Now for Hubert's questions:

(3) Icon sizes for AIS targets: I have not seen incorrect size data as being a problem. I see more problems with incorrect heading information making a vessel appear like they are moving sideways or backwards. I'll try to explain how my Coastal Explorer screen looks right now sitting at anchor. At the current zoom level, the large ships around me are all sized proportionately but as a tug or crew boat goes by their icon is still appears as a standard triangle. This is because CE has a minimum icon size. Zoom way in and their icon changes in size proportional to the size of the vessel. This feature is very helpful when planning an approach to a berth (or even planning passing arrangements in a narrow channel). Instead of just a triangle you'll see exactly how much space the ship is taking up at the berth and how much room you'll have to maneuver. When own-ship is sized correctly you can see how much room you have at the bow without having to rely on a man standing up there giving his rudimentary estimation of distance.

(6) I'll be able to provide more information about what can be done about the route data window when I get to play with the program underway (we're waiting out tropical storm Debbie right now). What I like to see is HDG, COG, SOG, WP Name, BRG, ETA, TTG, XTE, POS, DTG. However, a cruiser is unlikely to benefit from, say, a HDG readout, so they may want to customize their window to include VMG instead. Or they may think that ETA and TTG are redundant and want to see Depth data instead. Maybe have a list of several options to choose from and check the boxes next to the items you want to see.

(7) Not much to say here. What about the option to choose what type of measurement is used (NM, Statute Miles, Yards, Cables, etc). On the Mississippi River, speeds and distances are all statute, not nautical. Not a big deal for right now, but maybe look into this further down the road.

(10) Yes - a user settable option would be okay. We all hate nuisance alarms. I would suggest that an alarm be on by default though.

Happy Day of the Seafarer, by the way!
Old 25-06-2012, 16:28   #1133
Marine Service Provider

Chris...

Are you really in Morehead City right now?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 18:11   #1134

Not right now, Dave. I live in Morehead City but am at work down in the Gulf of Mexico right now. Will be working most of this summer
Old 30-06-2012, 03:28   #1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwecken View Post
Hello,
would it be possible to show true wind data, upwind and downwind laylines on the chart in real-time with data coming from the vessel's instruments via NMEA.

Yes please, us "stick n' string" types frequently face the problem of windshift and corresponding need for course correction, it would be so nice to see at a glance my options for laying a new course. Just the true wind as an overlay would be a nice start but the ability to add to that pre-defined tack angles would be a real boon.
cachaciero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22   #1136

Boat: 62' Striker

I have not read all 76 pages, so i'm sure this has been mentioned before, but my #1 feature request for ANY chartplotting software (honestly I'd pay if a nice one existed) is FULL and user-friendly touch screen support. There are a couple packages advertising touch screen compatibility... i've tried them and they are very clumsy.

I would like to see a "touch mode" that could be enabled. While in touch mode, there would be nice large icons for everything, and a touch-friendly version of the settings windows/etc.

Personally right now i am using navionics on an andriod tablet as my primary chartplotter, but I have three major complaints with this: a) I can't interface it to external devices b) the damn screen powers off after 5 minutes c)the gps signal isnt great from inside my pilothouse, and i can't use an external one.

Having a nice PC solution that would behave nicely on a touch screen would be great, since then I could permanently mount a touchscreen into my helm, and use it like a regular chartplotter, complete with nmea in/out and external gps.

For me, involving a keyboard and mouse is a deal breaker as far as ease of use while underway.
Reo Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:41   #1137

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It would be helpful to have some drawing tools in the menu bar such as
1. We have Create a route, but it would be useful to have add a mark, add a boundary circle, add a region, and add a range bearing line.
1. Range and Bearing tool - which allows placement of this kind of graphic DR information. Allowing adjustment of range ring and bearing of object, colors, weight etc. (I understand this is somewhat like the Measure tool in the right click mouse button, and an alternative would be to augment that feature). This should have an option to show range and distance and dynamically adjust it. Range should be a choice of miles, nm, feet, etc.
2. Marks - Additional properties, such as Name, show name, color, icon, position, lock position (very helpful), arrival circle radius, boundary circle off limits (choice = none, outside, inside). Characteristics of the arrival circle radius (color, thickness, fill, display count), notes.
3. Boundary Circle - Similar properties.
4. Region - Similar properties but add display leg range bearing & distance. Eliminate the arrival circle.

In the Route Manager, I think we should be able to show the Position information and other charactersitics. We should be able to move the columns ideally, and sort on a column.

Least this sound demanding, I like to say how much I appreciate all that has been done!

I find myself wondering if there will be a Simrad broadband Radar plugin with chart overlay? I think it would be very popular.

Thanks Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:56   #1138

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

In reading (only part of) the 76 pages, full of ideas, and communication about meaning and intent, I wondered if there is some way to summarize and compile in an single document? And more importantly, is there a need for this?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18   #1139

Boat: 29'

rgleason,per 2. some of these things, O already does....you need goto toolbox/etc to lock marks. And in the Route /Mark manager you can show/hide names.. and with the right-click on a mark you can do a lot too.
But yes, not every function has a button in the toolbar .... Which is not the same as the usual Windows Menu Bar-I think this is actually built into the OpenCPN core and so, it's just plain Different.
Consider if there was a Make Mark/waypoint button in the toolbar. How would it be used? Well, one obvious case is Man Overboard!( a mark on OwnShip's position) but it's already there! ( and you can use it to make a mark but only on position where a right-click type would be difficult to get accurate... just change its name in route manager)

Otherwise, right click where you want the mark or move yer cursor and tap CTRL+M. To me, this is better than yet-another tiny button among many, or yet-another popout menu when, as is usual in my distracted state, I'm in a hurry.

If you want to list all the ideas in here,... it just occurred to me...somebody doing a forum search for something might just end up at a list so it'd need links too - that'd be handy!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43   #1140

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
In reading (only part of) the 76 pages, full of ideas, and communication about meaning and intent, I wondered if there is some way to summarize and compile in an single document? And more importantly, is there a need for this?
There are 190 open feature requests in the tracker as well.
(A few of those are implemented and needs closing.)
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist
More reading

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote