Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 22:11   #2131

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
In another forum there is a topic ongoing on performance measurement. This performance indicator shows the percentage of speed calculated in the polar diagram vs. the current boat speed at a given course and windspeed. Based on a parameter, the boat speed can be SOG or STW. Sending out this parameter as a NMEA-string, would make it possible to have it shown on a display as well. The NMEA-string probably as the be an excisting one that gets new parameters. This to forcome it's rejected by one of the instruments because of a unknown string.

The polar information has to be entered and for those values not known in the polar, an interpolation needs to be done by the OpenCPN-program or plugin.

Would it be possible to make a plugin (or standard OpenCPN-feature) to show the performance?

Thanks for thoughts on this one.
Without having read the whole thread, but would this feature request fit in the tactics pi? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-166909.html
The idea behind this request is to have a performance percentage showing nearly real time, regardless if one is sailing to a waypoint or not.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 03:27   #2132

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
percentage of speed calculated in the polar diagram vs. the current boat speed at a given course and windspeed. Based on a parameter, the boat speed can be SOG or STW
Look at Thomas' Tactics.pdf

I believe Tactics_pi already has this. Target% Check it out.

Quote:
For some of the instruments I split the display in a % value for your current speed in
relation of the polar data value as 100%.
In this example, we're currently doing (only) 51%, of what the polar has stored as optimum
value. According to the polar we should be able to do 11.95 knots.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 04:07   #2133

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass Tactics_pi directory
Old 20-10-2016, 05:33   #2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass Tactics_pi directory
From what I read, the Tactics_pi does meet my earlier written request
Old 20-10-2016, 15:30   #2135

George please explain. Did you see the %/Target boatspeed for example?

Perhaps you should be posting this in tactics_pi thread to, so Thomas sees your questions!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-166909.html

Thanks!
Old 20-10-2016, 21:20   #2136

Rgleason, I think the pi covers my request. From the manual for example:
Quote:
You can load a polar file and calculate/display performance data, like VMG (velocity made good up-/downwind), Target-VMG, Target-TWA (the opt. TWA up-/downwind), CMG (course made good towards a waypoint), Target-CMG (opt. CMG angle and speed), polar speed (the speed you should be able to sail at current TWA/TWS based on your polar),...
For showing the percentage related to the polar and boat speed, I think this paragraph covers:
Quote:
For some of the instruments I split the display in a % value for your current speed in relation of the polar data value as 100%.
Old 21-10-2016, 08:27   #2137

Yes! Thanks
Old 22-10-2016, 07:29   #2138

Boat: Beneteau 423 sailboat, 42 ft

Requested new feature:
The option to create waypoints instead of marks in a route.

Why:
Many PC programs and chartplottes (Garmin and others) do not allow the editing of mark in a route unless it's also a waypoint. By editing a mark in a route I mean inputting the new Lat/Long coordinates into a dialog box like you can for a waypoint.

Background:
The Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) regularly surveys inlets along the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) and publishes waypoints for safe passage. In OpenCPN I can form a route manually and then fine tune it to the exact Lat and Long per the ACOE waypoint list. I publish the GPX files on my website at GPX Routes.

Open CPN will then export the GPX route file for use in my Garmin chartplotter and Garmin PC plotter program successfully, no problem there. The problem comes in when the ACOE does a new survey and moves the waypoints. Since most charting programs and chartplotters do not allow the manual entry of new Lat/Long numbers, I have to go back to Open CPN and reenter the new Lat/Long there and re-export the GPX file (50 or so routes in one file) to the chartplotter (write to a datacard).

This is cumbersome. It would be much simpler if there was a feature which automatically made a waypoint each time a mark in a route was created - or perhaps just an export feature that replaced the marks with a waypoints. Either would work.

Benefit:
It would allow the minor Lat/Long adjustments to be made directly on the chartplotter for the critical waypoints by inlets in North Carolina. The ACOE surveys the inlets every couple of months and publishes new waypoints accordingly. The ACOE waypoints are a great safety feature since the shallows of the inlets changes so often.

Bob, thanks for your consideration
Cruising Down the ICW 2016
bob423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 22:01   #2139

Boat: Gemini 3200

You can create individual waypoints. Right-click and select "Drop mark" from the pop-up menu or press Ctrl-M. Right click on the waypoint and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu to name the waypoint.

Once the waypoints are created you can include them in a route. When you are building the route and click on an existing waypoint you will be asked "Use nearby waypoint?" Click on "Yes" to use the existing waypoint in your route instead of creating an independent route point.

If you move the waypoint any routes which use that waypoint will be redrawn to pass through the new location.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 01:06   #2140

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Once the waypoints are created you can include them in a route. When you are building the route and click on an existing waypoint you will be asked "Use nearby waypoint?" Click on "Yes" to use the existing waypoint in your route instead of creating an independent route point.

If you move the waypoint any routes which use that waypoint will be redrawn to pass through the new location.

Fabbian
These are excellent features.

1. Is there anyway to extract a waypoint from a route without deleting it? I often plot anchorages as waypoints then connect them with a route. I have tried then to delete the route but keep the anchorage waypoints for future use.

2. Suggestion on the issue of routes and tracks. Often routes and tracks become entangled and it is difficult to distinguish which one to delete. I have sometimes deleted a track instead of a route in error, and I know is says "are you sure". Is there anyway to include a CtrlZ or undelete function that will work immediately after.

Peter
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:44   #2141

It sounds like you are trying to select routes, tracks, and waypoints from the chart. Ust the Route Manager instead. Select either the Routes, Tracks, or Waypoints tab so you will know which type of entity you are working with.

Once again, when you create a waypoint for an anchorage, use Ctrl-M to create the waypoint. Later, when you connect a series of waypoints to create a route click on the existing waypoint. When asked "Use nearby waypoint" click "Yes".

When you want to remove that waypoint from your route open Route Manager, select the Routes tab, select the desired route, and click "Properties". Scroll through the list of route points until you find the one you want to remove. Right click on it. Choose "Remove selected" from the pop-up window. The route will no longer include the selected waypoint but the waypoint will still be on the chart.

Spend a little time reading Route & Mark Manager | Official OpenCPN Homepage and it will answer a lot of your questions.

Fabbian
Old 24-10-2016, 10:57   #2142

Boat: Beneteau 423 sailboat, 42 ft

Fabbin,

I am aware of the technique of generating the waypoints first and then knitting them together in a route. It certainly is a work around but creating a route on the chart with the Route tool is so much easier and quicker.

Having the option of creating waypoints in a route instead of mark (or turning points) would be a time saver for the navigator.

Usually when i do a route I'll create the starting point and end point first and then use the route tool to edit the route around obstacles in-between. The route tool is a real time saver used that way. Putting waypoints down first requires guessing the route in advance, or another work around of using the route tool and then editing the marks to replace them with waypoints. It would be quicker and less work for the navigator if the route tool had a waypoint option. Let the computer do the work instead of a work around by the navigator.

Your thoughts?
bob423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:45   #2143

Guys, since you are all making suggestions about Waypoints and Routes, it would be very helpful to have your review of these suggested features, by adding to the comments and/or voting for them. (Identify the ones you'd like to see implemented please.) I'd like to narrow down these many Wpt/Rte Manager feature requests to those that would be really useful/needed and make a single comprehensive list.."
Route Manager Feature Requests (towards the Bottom of page)
Waypoint Feature Requests
Old 26-10-2016, 09:59   #2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob423 View Post
Fabbin,

I am aware of the technique of generating the waypoints first and then knitting them together in a route. It certainly is a work around but creating a route on the chart with the Route tool is so much easier and quicker.

Your thoughts?
I think this discussion deserves a new thread so I replied here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2243806

Fabbian
Old 31-10-2016, 11:24   #2145

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

If there is a way to do this inside openCPN I haven't found it. I would like to save my routes, tracks and waypoints as .fsh files. I have found a converter (parsefsh) but I haven't been able to get it to work. just a thought for the future.