Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 16:02   #2671

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft
Route & Mark Manager widths

This is a small thing, but slightly irritating.

It's been said that settings in OpenCPN are "persistent" however in the Route & Mark Manager I can drag the window out to a readable size, and set the column widths to a convenient width but when I open Route & Mark Manager again, the widths have reverted back to being narrow again.

Would be nice if they persisted.

Ryan
Sir_Crabs_A_Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 16:46   #2672

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Feature Requests

Ryan, this is already part of flyspray bug #2276. It's not just the Routes & Marks Manager - several other dialog boxes don't remember their settings either, & it would be nice if they did. This bug currently has 3 other votes, but if you'd like to add your vote, it would bump it up the priority stack & maybe we'd see some more action on it.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:31   #2673

Boat: RM 1200

I have not read through all of this as it is a massive thread, if my wishes are already mentioned (likely) I apologize for doubleposting.

Two wishes really
1. Multiscreen support. I would love to be able to either run two instances of O on the same computer to have different views on different screens. F. instance different maps or zoomlevels on the same time, og radar on one screen, map on the ohter and so on. There is probably a much better way of doing this than running two instances of O, but it was the easiest way to explain it..

2. "Better" colorpalette on night color scheme. I find the built in colorsets hard to read at night. They work fine with dimming down the light, but at the same time small objects like depth soundings and contours are almost impossible to see. Not a problem far out to sea, but annoying when you are closer to the coast. I believe just changing colors on text, lines and shading would make this a lot easier.

Thanks for a brilliant product tho. My main navigation on board.
Tabaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36   #2674

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaqui View Post
1. Multiscreen support. I would love to be able to either run two instances of O on the same computer to have different views on different screens. F. instance different maps or zoomlevels on the same time, og radar on one screen, map on the ohter and so on. There is probably a much better way of doing this than running two instances of O, but it was the easiest way to explain it....
It's already possible to run two instances of O even on Windows. One "main" and one portable. Let the main connect to all surrounding NMEA connections and transfer it via network UDP, local host, to the portable.
See here for more info: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rtable_opencpn

For the future we may hope for a multi window support to be included in one instance of OCPN, I do agree,
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38   #2675
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
1. Multiscreen support. I would love to be able to either run two instances of O on the same computer to have different views on different screens. F. instance different maps or zoomlevels on the same time, og radar on one screen, map on the ohter and so on. There is probably a much better way of doing this than running two instances of O, but it was the easiest way to explain it..
Split screen will be a feature with the next version of OpenCPN.
And when combining with a parallel portable install on the same machine one can get up to four different "views" then. Should be sufficient....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 16:46   #2676

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
1. Multiscreen support. I would love to be able to either run two instances of O on the same computer to have different views on different screens.
In this document I describe split-screen configuration using a portable OpenCPN version:
HOW TO CONFIGURE A PORTABLE OpenCPN PROGRAM ON A USB MEMORY STICK Rev2

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 20:45   #2677

Boat: Switch 51 #10

Highlighting leg of a track in the Track properties dialogue box:
When I doubleclick on a track I get the Track properties dialogue box. I might do this for instance to find out at which time I was at a certain position. However, this window can have 1000's of legs in an multi-day passage. It is cumbersome to find the right leg, for instance by identifying via longitude or latitude.

It would be nice if you could quickly identify the leg of the position on the track you double-clicked on. This could be done by highlighting (blue background) this leg, and having this leg in the middle of the "Recorded points" window.

The same could be done for routes. Identification here is less cumbersome since you can hover over a waypoint, note it's name, and look in the router propoerties dialogue box. But to do the above procedure for tracks and routes would be logical.

From Jef, a very happy openCPN user
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 16:17   #2678

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

I'm using OpenCPN 4.8.6 and all is well. But there are times when I do an accidental click and the screen will change. Should there be a "back button" so we can back up? Ctrl-Z doesn't seem to work with OpenCPN.
Old 24-10-2018, 03:42   #2679

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The best implementation variable look ahead that I have seen is in TimeZero. Basically you drag the chart to position your vessel somewhere and the software then maintains that screen position as the centre of your universe
This would be a vast improvement. I may even switch from using Memory-Map which is still the superior moving map display with own boat centred anywhere you like to place it on screen.
So TZero has this feature?
Not to be confused as many seem to be with screen orientation such as course up!
Wayne
Old 24-10-2018, 03:52   #2680
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Wayne,

understanding you correctly:

you want to nail the boat position on the screen at x pixels from the left and y pixels from the bottom and keep it there, independent from zoom and panning of the charts when advancing on the route?
Even with course up? Or only with North-up?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 04:06   #2681

Yep until I pan my position off the screen, then I have to select centre to boat again and pan the boat where I wish to see it placed, as you say nailed to a pixel of my choice.

I only ever use North up.

Download a free trial of memory-map.com or the UK site memory-map.co.uk
Old 24-10-2018, 04:18   #2682

If you like the feature you can vote for it (7 votes so far) on flyspray
Zooming in and out leaves the boat nailed to that pixel by the way.

I don't orientate the chart on the screen or the paper one on the chart table to work out where I am and where I'm going.
W
Old 03-11-2018, 04:59   #2683

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
I'm using OpenCPN 4.8.6 and all is well. But there are times when I do an accidental click and the screen will change. Should there be a "back button" so we can back up? Ctrl-Z doesn't seem to work with OpenCPN.
Yes!!! I have and use both TimeZero (MaxSea) and OCPN, and seriously miss the back and forward buttons on OCPN! Not only for correcting mistakes, but also/especially when planning routes - trying different variations etc.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:24   #2684

Boat: a locally homemade wooden boat of my friend
Feature Requests , preinstalled AIS Servers inaktiv, to try ...

Hello,

i use OpenCPN since years, AIS not so long yet.
Most of the time, i am on land, no boat.
But i try to improve the nautical equipment of the boat.
Missing AIS signals/datas for tests ...

So, can we get preinstalled servers like in the attached picture ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS Server.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	180102  
Dschubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21   #2685

If you are interested in testing receiving AIS data and you are connected to the Internet then you can manually add any of those AIS servers to OpenCPN.

Go to Options -> Connections -> Add Connection.

Select Network Connection and for example add a new connection with the following settings:
Protocol: GPSD
Address: sinagot.net
DataPort: 2947

Although be careful what you wish for, more AIS targets than you can throw a stick at !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connection.png
Views:	98
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	180105   Click image for larger version

Name:	ais.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	180106  

stevead is offline   Reply With Quote