Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 19:02   #1696
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
FS#342 : Chart Tool Transparent and/or Intelligent Overlay, many file types[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=open&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&cha ngedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedf rom=&closedto=
Yep. That's it.

I didn't put the light request in there. I should probably put in another request for topo data and the intelligent light display.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 13:07   #1697

Boat: 82' power scow
AIS target tracks

Hi - sorry, this thread is so long I have no idea whether this has been requested before or not. I navigate in an area which is constantly changing and is essentially uncharted. There are a number of bar crossings that can be very challenging, especially when last year's track lines no longer work. To make life easier, I watch (on AIS) other boats which have good track lines as they navigate those crossings. As they go, I try to drop waypoints along their route, which I later use to establish my own track. It would be wonderful if I had the option of automatically creating a trackline based on their path as followed by AIS. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement such a feature - it would be essentially a matter of recording their AIS track. Thanks for such a great plotter system!
barnacle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 16:11   #1698

Boat: Phantom 19

Get the latest beta, exactly this is implemented there...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 20:03   #1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Get the latest beta, exactly this is implemented there...
Nice! There might be some better terminology, though. On this side of the ocean, "persist" is rarely used as an active verb. Maybe the button could say "Load Track" or "Add Track to List" or "Manage Track" (since clicking it loads it into the Route manager dialog).
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 20:12   #1700

RD...
Which side of which ocean?
To be honest I'm really a bit lost being born in a non english speaking country on the other side of the ocean where the non english speaking country I live in is...
Said that, I'm not at all dogmatic about the terminology used, just beat me fast and with some strong reasons as we are really close to the final release...

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-12-2014, 20:16   #1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
RD...
Which side of which ocean?
To be honest I'm really a bit lost being born in a non english speaking country on the other side of the ocean where the non english speaking country I live in is...
Said that, I'm not at all dogmatic about the terminology used, just beat me fast and with some strong reasons as we are really close to the final release...

Pavel
I'm not looking to make a big deal out of this. I don't want to be dogmatic, either. It only took me a few seconds to recognize how you meant "Persist." It does have a bit of a British sound to it.

I suggest we let others comment on it. They may come up with even better terminology than I suggested.
Old 11-12-2014, 21:04   #1702

Exactly... Wording the GUI is always a challenge, given the limited space available. I admit it is a pain to end up with something, especially when it is obvious that the terms used come from a geek in me, but in this case that really was the best I could come with... Anyway, if it feels inconvenient, we can change it easily, so don't be afraid and let me know if you have better ideas, I'm not proud about my English at all

Pavel
Old 12-12-2014, 00:38   #1703

Boat: Najad 34

Pavel....Rhythm...
There is also a corresponding Swedish translation to distingvis between the normal time limited track and this more persistent one so for me Pavel's wording is understandable enough. And I should not at all have opinions how to use English but there is actually a difference between this track and the normal one.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:50   #1704

How about "Capture Track"? Or "Import Track"?
Old 12-12-2014, 04:49   #1705

Capture? Isn't that to grab something and put it somewhere? Here we just constantly shows it instead of a limited life time.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:06   #1706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Capture? Isn't that to grab something and put it somewhere? Here we just constantly shows it instead of a limited life time.
No, the feature does more than that. If you open the Route manager, you'll see that the track is added to the list, where you can save it to .gpx file, convert to route, etc. Hence my suggestion of the word "capture."

You are right, it does show it constantly - just like all the other tracks listed in the Route manager.
Old 12-12-2014, 15:43   #1707

Ok, you've a good point since it's also saved.
Håkan
Old 13-12-2014, 16:10   #1708

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Voyager, 37'

I have a question/suggestion regarding the Vector chart sounding displays. Not sure if this has been covered previously but if so have been unable to locate the discussion. I'm getting up there in years and am finding the sounding display quite dim, especially when zoomed in, unlike the raster charts. Wondering if something could be added under Tools/User Interface/fonts to select a font and size. I am finding the Arial Rounded MT bold size 13 about ideal for me.
Using MBP Yosemite.
Bruce
bwhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 09:44   #1709
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Feature Requests GPS Alarm WAHEE - IMPORTANT!!!

Dave,
thank you and the team for the best navigation software ever. I am using it since about 5 years and it performed well without any mayor bugs.

But now I really did find a bug - for a navigation software -
There is no way to get an horrifying alarm when the gps position is lost.

That is really important when you stuck on one software and the position vanishes suddenly. I am using Vesper Marine XB-8000 AIS Transponder with WiFi and sometimes the NMEA Stream drops. The XB-8000 is working correctly but no signals to OpenCPN.

Looked the feature requests and did find the request from 2011.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post678886

I think it is not enought to grey the own ship on loss of gps signals there shoud be a way to get an acoustic alarm too.

Thank you

willi
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 10:17   #1710

Boat: Amel Sharki

Willi,
have you tried the Watchdog plugin?
Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote