Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 17:15   #1

Boat: Rawson 30PH
Garmin G-Wind - Wired or Wireless?

I am considering adding a wind transducer to my Garmin chart plotter & auto pilot setup (therefore the G-Wind product) and I would appreciate any comments on the wireless vs wired option.

Tradeoffs seem to be:
- battery at masthead that might need servicing/ but no cables to route in the mast
- wireless is $100 more

Comments?

- Thank you
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 17:58   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Garmin G-Wind - Wired or Wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
I am considering adding a wind transducer to my Garmin chart plotter & auto pilot setup (therefore the G-Wind product) and I would appreciate any comments on the wireless vs wired option.

Tradeoffs seem to be:
- battery at masthead that might need servicing/ but no cables to route in the mast
- wireless is $100 more

Comments?

- Thank you
Hard wired is preferred. However...

The battery at the masthead doesn't have to be replaced often and its easy to take the whole thing down without unscrewing it. So you can bring it down the mast, replace the battery below and then go back up to replace it.

If you have room for the cables and can get the cables into the mast without dropping the mast or if you are bringing the mast down for many reasons then hard wired is generally the better option IMO.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 05:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Captain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Do you have a conduit in your mast now and or is your mast keel stepped.
I ask as I have wires that slap around in my mast and drive me nuts, be nice if they weren't there
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:37   #5
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I have the wired unit; and, it cost me over thousand dollars to install it. It has three separate components, masthead unit, wires and NMEA 2000 transformer. The long set of wires going up the mast were defective, as was the transformer. Troubleshooting was a bear.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 07:56   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII

Captain P,

I had the same question to myself this spring. I purchased the wireless unit and installed it myself while the mast was on the hard. The unit has worked flawlessly all year. My mast which is deck mounted had a conduit, but getting the wiring the rest of the way through to nav station network location was looking to be brutal. Happy to have spent the $100 to avoid the aggravation. I think between the solar panel and the battery - battery life shouldn't be much of an issue.

Rick
rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 08:20   #7

Question for BMZ: I have the same set up as you...Have replaced the GBD10 for no change....not getting data. Logic dictates it is the unit or the cable. Any tricks learned. Intertesting to note that two of us who went wired are having similar problems.
Brent
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 08:38   #8

Thank you for the input!

The mast is deck stepped and currently removed during the retrofit (on the hard). Therefore, I have easy access to the conduit.... but the internal wiring to the nav station may be more problematic, and the wireless unit may end up cheaper after the "time cost" of internal cable routing and avoids the "pinch point" during mast stepping.

Current inclination - wireless for both radar & G-Wind
Old 20-11-2015, 08:44   #9

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I installed the wireless set up on my boat and it was amazing (sold the boat). Hurricane Odile tore off the stabilizing fins of the wireless transducer and Garmin replaced the whole works free (several months out of warranty). I recommend the wireless.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:26   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII

Cap'n Puget

>>Originally Posted by Captain Puget
I am considering adding a wind transducer to my Garmin chart plotter & auto pilot setup

I bought the Garmin wireless bundle w DST speed and wireless wind to go w a Garmin 741sx and GMI20 instrument. Garmin doesn't have a sailboat wheel autopilot for my boat. What do you have? I was thinking of getting a Raymarine EV100 to go on my Garmin NMEA 2000 network.

Rick
rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:50   #11

Sorry, no help with the wheel steering option - Current setup is hydraulic steering with:
- Garmin GPSMAP 7607xsv
- Garmin Reactor Hydraulic Corepack with SmartPump
- GRF 10 Rotary Rudder Feedback Sensor

Newly purchased older boat - I had to replace all the current, non-functional electronics with the above and only got a one week of use while repositioning boat for retrofit this winter, but worked fine ... instructions were a little unclear, but figured it out (a menu tree cheat sheet I made really helped). The "auto routing" feature was great! Just select the end point destination and depth requirements, and off you go. Easy and quick when single handing.

Adding (thanks to the advice from all the nice people responding on CF):
- 18xHD Radar
- Gwind Wireless Transducer
Old 20-11-2015, 12:03   #12
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
Question for BMZ: I have the same set up as you...Have replaced the GBD10 for no change....not getting data. Logic dictates it is the unit or the cable. Any tricks learned. Intertesting to note that two of us who went wired are having similar problems.
Brent
Surprisingly, the long cable was bad. No one expects a bad cable. I replaced two masthead units and two NMEA Transformers before I tested the cable. Another trick I learned is to essentially bench test all the components; troubleshooting from the masthead is expensive.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:23   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

I bought a gWind Wireless unit, since I could not afford to have my mast pulled. It is great, except every so often it drops out. Not sure why, contacted Garmin and all they had to offer was 'tighten the cables'. DUH! It still happens occasionally, and to 'fix' it I have to switch off the NMEA 2K network and turn it back on. I do not know if the wireless signal is an issue, the translator (gWind is not native NMEA 2K) has an issue or if it is somewhere down the network. (None of the other NMEA devices have issues though...)

The receiver is located at the top of the hanging locker just starboard of the mast base, the translator is at the bottom of the locker and from there it is about 15 feet to the power connector and the main part of the network.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:10   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I bought a gWind Wireless unit, since I could not afford to have my mast pulled. It is great, except every so often it drops out. Not sure why, contacted Garmin and all they had to offer was 'tighten the cables'. DUH! It still happens occasionally, and to 'fix' it I have to switch off the NMEA 2K network and turn it back on. I do not know if the wireless signal is an issue, the translator (gWind is not native NMEA 2K) has an issue or if it is somewhere down the network. (None of the other NMEA devices have issues though...)

The receiver is located at the top of the hanging locker just starboard of the mast base, the translator is at the bottom of the locker and from there it is about 15 feet to the power connector and the main part of the network.
I have the same problem with my GWind wireless. Did not have that problem with my previous wired instrument.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, wind