Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2023, 11:50   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Best practices for connecting Seatalk instruments to existing N2K backbone

I recently purchased a Raymarine EV100 wheel pilot kit (Seatalk) and would like to add it to my existing NMEA 2000 network that includes a number of standard N2K instruments, mostly B&G (MFD, wind, depth/speed/temp, radar, etc.)

I understand this is possible but there may be some reduced functions in terms of the ability to control the Raymarine Wheel Pilot from the B&G MFD. That's no problem as the wheel pilot came with its own Raymarine control head.

It seems that there are 2 approaches for combining Seatalk and N2K and I was wondering if anyone has insight into which approach is preferable or if there is any practical difference:

Option 1:
Use the Seatalk hardware that was provided in the EV100 kit and basically put together all the Seatalk components on its own backbone and then simply use an adapter cable to connect that Seatalk backbone into my existing N2K backbone. If I go this route, I assume I would also only want to run power to the N2K side or the Seatalk side - not both since connecting them would create 2 power sources on a single unified network but let me know if this assumption is incorrect.

Option 2: Use multiple adapter cables and N2K tees and simply add each component to the existing N2K backbone

Option 2 would necessitate buying some more Seatalk<>N2K adapter cables and N2K tees, but I think I'd prefer this option as it would simplify a few aspects of installation but want to make sure I'm setting things up as optimally as possible. Thanks!
RaggamuffinBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:01   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Best practices for connecting Seatalk instruments to existing N2K backbone

If this is SeatalkNG, it is functionally identical to N2K. Same voltages, same currents, same signals, same everything. Translation from SeaTalkNG to N2K consists of the cable with appropriate connectors. The last time I tied the two together, I took a SeaTalkNG cable, cut one end off and attached a generic micro-c connector from molex. Plugged each end in and done. You can leave as much or as little of your existing N2K Network as you would like, and add as much or as little of the SeaTalkNG that makes sense.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggamuffinBK View Post
I recently purchased a Raymarine EV100 wheel pilot kit (Seatalk) and would like to add it to my existing NMEA 2000 network that includes a number of standard N2K instruments, mostly B&G (MFD, wind, depth/speed/temp, radar, etc.)

I understand this is possible but there may be some reduced functions in terms of the ability to control the Raymarine Wheel Pilot from the B&G MFD. That's no problem as the wheel pilot came with its own Raymarine control head.

It seems that there are 2 approaches for combining Seatalk and N2K and I was wondering if anyone has insight into which approach is preferable or if there is any practical difference:

Option 1:

Use the Seatalk hardware that was provided in the EV100 kit and basically put together all the Seatalk components on its own backbone and then simply use an adapter cable to connect that Seatalk backbone into my existing N2K backbone. If I go this route, I assume I would also only want to run power to the N2K side or the Seatalk side - not both since connecting them would create 2 power sources on a single unified network but let me know if this assumption is incorrect.

Option 2: Use multiple adapter cables and N2K tees and simply add each component to the existing N2K backbone

Option 2 would necessitate buying some more Seatalk&lt;&gt;N2K adapter cables and N2K tees, but I think I'd prefer this option as it would simplify a few aspects of installation but want to make sure I'm setting things up as optimally as possible. Thanks!
I went with option one and have a single power source - - on the n2k network

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:27   #4

Wait, I just looked at your option one again. You cannot tie two separate networks together. They are one network, one backbone. One resistor at each end. While according to the book it is poor form, you could tie all the seatalk stuff together and the end would be connected to a t on the n2k backbone, but it would be a spur for the raymarine, not a separate backbone. No extra terminating resistors, you can only have a total of two.

I assume you're adding two devices, a controller and a computer. Unless the two are near each other, I would add an N2K T at a location convenient for each, and an STNG to N2K cable (either purchased or self built) to connect the T to the device.
Old 12-03-2023, 14:24   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

Thank you both, this is super helpful. Sailingharry, I think you're second comment suggestion essentially aligns with my option 2 which I was leaning towards anyway for ease of simplicity. I think I've got my plan figured out - really appreciate it.
RaggamuffinBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:50   #6

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Hi, I did your second choice with seatalk transducer, radar, wind, power to a Raymarine MDF all Raymarine, it was all of 30 min. I can not speak to mixing components from other brands this was easy.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 17:49   #7

first off you have "seatalkng" (stng) stuff. "seatalk" is totally different.

option 1 works great if all the nema 2000 stuff is in one spot and all the stng stuff is all together, and you can run a backbone between them. if stuff is spread out it gets harder. IE your compass is probably going to be mid boat. so you may need to convert back and forth a few times through out the boat.

you need a single power source. and 2 total termintors. so you would end up with 1 stng termator and 1 nmea 2000 termintor. with the other end of each connected together.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 05:25   #8

Just to make this super clear, you can connect a SeatalkNG device to a N2K network with nothing but this drop cable
https://a.co/d/3I5zBAj

If you already have the STNG drop cable, you can connect it to a N2K network by cutting off the end and attaching this
https://defender.com/en_us/maretron-...-male-fa-cm-st

Of course, in either case, you will also need a N2K tee.

No conversion, no design shenanigans, no concern about how close various items are to each other, just lay it out like any N2K network and use the appropriate drop cable to connect the devices. Because, well, it's all just N2K!

Tags
instruments, men, rum, seatalk