Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2023, 08:24   #1

Boat: Lagoon 40
Navionics and Sonarphone

Hi
I recently purhcased a Vexilar Sonarphone with the intention of using it with the Navionics app to produce localized sonar charts. However, the sonarphone did not communicate with Navioncs. There are a number of YouTube videos about this, and its seemed pretty straightforward.

After a couple hours of messing around, I sent emails to both Vexilar and Navionics. So far nothing from Vexilar, and a one-liner from Navioncs saying, "We have removed the compatibility with the Vexilar system."

That's pretty unhelpful, so I have asked if Navionics still supports any sonar device - so far, crickets! no answer. Navionics seems on a downward trajectory since Garmin took over!

Does anyone have the answer? Is there any other app that supports a wifi sonar device for mapping?

Thanks
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 08:51   #2

Re: Navionics and Sonarphone

I don’t know what you mean by a “WiFi sonar”, but my Navionics iPad app works fine with the WiFi NMEA0183 data stream that comes from my B&G system. Depth mapping works fine.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 10:15   #3

Boat: Norseman 447

Vexilar made (once upon a time) a depth measurement device that connected via Wifi to an iThing app. I’ve still got one someplace., but haven’t tried it in a while. Very convenient to use from a dinghy.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 10:50   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Hi
I recently purhcased a Vexilar Sonarphone with the intention of using it with the Navionics app to produce localized sonar charts. However, the sonarphone did not communicate with Navioncs. There are a number of YouTube videos about this, and its seemed pretty straightforward.

After a couple hours of messing around, I sent emails to both Vexilar and Navionics. So far nothing from Vexilar, and a one-liner from Navioncs saying, "We have removed the compatibility with the Vexilar system."

That's pretty unhelpful, so I have asked if Navionics still supports any sonar device - so far, crickets! no answer. Navionics seems on a downward trajectory since Garmin took over!

Does anyone have the answer? Is there any other app that supports a wifi sonar device for mapping?

Thanks
Neil
Only chartplotter with sonar, no wifi.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 08:46   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

FWIW... I use a Deeper portable sonar to do depth surveys (connected by WiFi to smartphone), export the results to csv file, ultimately making charts with SASPLANET/SAT2CHART.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Hi

Thanks
Neil
Hi Neil
I purchased the Vexilar to use from my dinghy to create Sonar Charts Live on the Navionics App and it has worked in the past. I've used it to create contours for places like White Sound and Black Sound at Green Turtle Cay.

I would be disappointed to hear they've discontinued this functionality, but Navionics is now Garmin and Garmin have a track record of discontinuing acquisition like with Vesper... I will be interested to see other responses here.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 07:39   #7

Boat: Maxum 2400sc3

Hello, I've just come back to my boat and discovered that it's no longer integrated. I do have sonar in the Vexilar application but not in Navionics.
Sailoff_Be is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics, phone