Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 16:52   #16

Re: Who Makes a Living on the Water ?

Some interesting responses here. I know a fellow (tug captain) and the last thing he wants to do is get back on the water during his time off. Myself I keep thinking about doing some charters with my boat. Then I think about the extra insurance costs and the real negative for me is do I really want to go back and start having to deal with schedules again. Sailing is so much nicer without them.
Old 25-10-2011, 16:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin
Sail Charter Capt., Fishing Charter Capt. Commercial fisher, crab, salmon, long lining all species, Tug boat Capt., Lash ship, mate. Started at 9 pulling fish out a gill net in Cook inlet, have graduated to a troller. Crab / Shrimp pot builder. Marine surveyor. I once had honest work but it didn't take.
Nothing more honest then life at sea, its the debauchery most of us cause on land that worries me...lol
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:04   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Did both. At times getting sick with both. But no way out: as soon as I spend some time somewhere else I get the itch and start missing my boat and the ocean. A hopeless case, in any case.

BTW I think I learned more about the sea when going in small ships rather than in the big ones. To me being on a ship is like traveling by plane (or by car) being in a boat more like biking. For this reason I would like to row an ocean one day, must be like walking on the water.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:11   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Retired scuba instructor. At one time a master instructor & instructor trainer. Director of Education for a dive shop for the better part of a decade.
Old 25-10-2011, 17:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Some interesting responses here. I know a fellow (tug captain) and the last thing he wants to do is get back on the water during his time off. Myself I keep thinking about doing some charters with my boat. Then I think about the extra insurance costs and the real negative for me is do I really want to go back and start having to deal with schedules again. Sailing is so much nicer without them.
My crew never understand why i always look forward to crew change day (tomorrow) just so i can go home and jump on my own boat.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:51   #21

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

Charter captain, sailing instructor, marina manager, cruiser, 26 year liveaboard.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:53   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

worked on land--live on sea..now cruise full time....

coy--best save me some rum......lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:42   #23

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

We've done term charters, day charters, electrical & electronics installations, etc on boats, & we enjoy all of it. But when dealing with other cruisers, we usually don't charge for our work (which is usually computer related). One of the joys of the international cruising community is that most folks work on a "karmic circle" principle, where we all help each other in whatever ways we can. That help always comes back to us, usually with good friendships as well.
Old 26-10-2011, 03:09   #24

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerjen View Post
jacana, where abouts in the world are you? sounds an amazing job!
Hi GIXERJEN, I live on an island on the Gold Coast,Queensland,Australia where its beautiful one day and perfect the rest and operate my catamaran sailing charter from my house as I live on the water and have a pontoon berth at my house.Google Sovereign Islands Gold Coast Australia
Cheers
Geoff
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 03:20   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Who Makes a Living on the Water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Hi GIXERJEN, I live on an island on the Gold Coast,Queensland,Australia where its beautiful one day and perfect the rest and operate my catamaran sailing charter from my house as I live on the water and have a pontoon berth at my house.Google Sovereign Islands Gold Coast Australia
Cheers
Geoff
You Poor Sod.... that sounds like 'Hell on Earth....'
How do you stand it... ahhh got it... you have to support a wife and 27 kids....??
My Sincere Condolences....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:20   #26
Marine Service Provider

For the past 30 years, I have earned my keep guiding whitewater rafts ,building pretty much every kind of boat from a dinghies to a tall ships , teaching sailing , and as a charter and delivery captain . I also spent 15 winters as a medic on various ski patrols. [frozen water]
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:57   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

I do the same, get off the tug, I run, to come home and get on my commercial Fishing / sailing vessel so that I can one day retire to full time fishing / cruising. My greatest desire is to die at sea; fall overboard (in that order thank you very much), and never be heard from again.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:11   #28

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I do the same, get off the tug, I run, to come home and get on my commercial Fishing / sailing vessel so that I can one day retire to full time fishing / cruising. My greatest desire is to die at sea; fall overboard (in that order thank you very much), and never be heard from again.
There seems to be two distinctly different groups of commercial sailors... them what can't wait to go home and not look at the water and those who can't wait to go home and get back out on it in their own boats. I'm one of the latter. I found it great to be on the water either way but being on my own boat is radically different from my work experience. It's also true that many 'big ship' kind of guys would be somewhat lost or appalled at life in the same place on a small boat. But then, I grew up around small boats and my work was more an extension of my previous skills and interest rather than training for it. There are many in the world of smaller commercial vessels (fishing/towing) who are far better seamen than me... and many who aren't.

I find that a license and time on the water do not necessarily equate to skills whether in the commercial world or the recreational world.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 07:44   #29

Boat: Wittholz 40

Worked on boats all my life; hands on wrenching, deliveries, marina management, etc, and as a marine surveyor for the last thirty years.
Consider myself a lucky guy. Much like Jimmy Buffett, I can say "I Love My Job!"
Always something new and interesting, the learning curve never ends. Messing about in boats and being around boaters has to be the best job in the world.
I get to play on boats, and, I get paid for it!

Capt. Joseph G. Berta, MMS, CMS
Principal Surveyor
MSOL Marine Surveyors & Consultants
905 955-4449
www.marinesupportonline.com
Old 26-10-2011, 08:28   #30

Sailing charters, deliveries, sport fishing captain (with all the weird stuff that brings in), random diving jobs here and there, random fill-in spots for other captains who need backup. It's in addition to my my normal day job. In the summer I make a couple grand a month doing it, working maybe ~10 days out of the month.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water