Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forum Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Say it ain't so, Phil!
Sad but true Gord..
Stick to Tanqueray and Havana Club these days.. mellows me out more..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:47   #62

Boat: SJ 21
Re: Forum Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sad but true Gord..
Stick to Tanqueray and Havana Club these days.. mellows me out more..
Hell yeah! Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:26   #63
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by majones View Post
Hell yeah! Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos.
+1

Now here's a subject we could have fun with - what's your favorite rum, how to drink it, and how much to have aboard. I love it, it loves me - too much sometimes.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...inks-9464.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rum-21143.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...um-173739.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rum-23198.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-128711.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bar.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	141886  
Old 24-02-2017, 10:53   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
An opportunity I can't resist:

See, THIS ^^^^ is the "proper" way to post information...with LINKS that are meaningful, insightful and helpful.

Next someone will be asking when it's time to sell your boat. Wait!!! Someone just did.

What a great forum, A to Z, passing directly through R (rum).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 13:57   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Welcome to CF WW..
I could not turn it back if I tried.. red wine started giving me terrible hangovers..
Initially I wasn't going to respond as it seemed a little off topic BUT as others are responding, maybe it isn't so off topic....

So Boatie my friend, let tell you it ain't the alcohol that is causing the terrible hangovers, it is the cheapness of the wine .

Now I get that with your delivery rates, you might not be able to get hold of top shelf red vino so let us suggest you try simple straight unadulterated ethyl alcohol - gives all of the "good" effects without the immediate pain afterwards - works for me

Disclaimer: prolly still gives the liver a work over and not medical advice
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's why I switched.. Havana Club 7 anos is 19.95euro and Tanqueray Rangpur is 24.70euro.. lasts longer.. works out cheaper..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-02-2017, 14:34   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld View Post
........................... Anyway here is my point at last. I value and need the knowledge that you delivery captains, liveaboards, shipwrights etc.. have and I emplore you not to lose heart and turn the site back into what you want it to be. Thank You. Wayne
Wayne, Most of us pay little attention to the trolls, complainers, and the naysayers. Many, like myself, are never troubled with the questions that have been repeated or those posed by people without much experience. Some of us work at keeping the site as "clean" as possible, but we also try not to over react.

I would encourage you to boldly ask about any boating and cruising question you may have and simply be selective with the comments you receive. Many of us are excited by cruising even after a long history. I have to sell my boat now after 45 years of liveaboard cruising because of my wife's disability, but I'll still be shopping for a small day cruisier to putter about in while I can.

Some are here to whine and complain,- 'just smile and nod. We always have people who are intensely interested in cruising and respectful of others.
Old 24-02-2017, 15:07   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Initially I wasn't going to respond as it seemed a little off topic BUT as others are responding, maybe it isn't so off topic....

So Boatie my friend, let tell you it ain't the alcohol that is causing the terrible hangovers, it is the cheapness of the wine .

Now I get that with your delivery rates, you might not be able to get hold of top shelf red vino so let us suggest you try simple straight unadulterated ethyl alcohol - gives all of the "good" effects without the immediate pain afterwards - works for me

Disclaimer: prolly still gives the liver a work over and not medical advice
Another thing Wottie.. you forget I've seen your collection of Scotch Whiskey's... a damn fine collection it is too.. so don't spin me the Ethyl Alcohol yarn...

Old 25-02-2017, 02:46   #69

Boat: 43 Cheoy Lee Long Range Motor Sailer

It took me years to get to be able to purchase my first yacht, which I did 2 weeks ago. Over the past however many years I researched and researced and researched. I asked a million questions from others whom were already living the dream. So those wannabes and fantasists as others are calling them, may well be working towards owning their first yacht and sailing off into the sunset. So I say to those whom are whinging about the content or there being too many newbies, scroll past and don't waste your oh so precious time. You never know who or how many of the "newbies" will turn into RTW sailors.
wallabyshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 05:38   #70

Quote:
x2

Many of the newer posters don't care that there are 20 years of threads that relate to their question, they just want to start a new one like it's (their) an original. Try a thread search and think about your question before posting it.
All forums experience this, and the have to or they die. To take you line of thinking and expand it, there would be very few new posts and posters and eventually this forum would die a slow painful death.

In all forums on any subject, I would guess 90% of the information is rehashed over and over. It seems like a small inconvenience to accommodate when the alternative could be worse. If you don't want to answer a newbies question, let someone else do so that may have learned from you and the more experienced.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 06:07   #71

Boat: 43 Cheoy Lee Long Range Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Wayne, Most of us pay little attention to the trolls, complainers, and the naysayers. Many, like myself, are never troubled with the questions that have been repeated or those posed by people without much experience. Some of us work at keeping the site as "clean" as possible, but we also try not to over react.

I would encourage you to boldly ask about any boating and cruising question you may have and simply be selective with the comments you receive. Many of us are excited by cruising even after a long history. I have to sell my boat now after 45 years of liveaboard cruising because of my wife's disability, but I'll still be shopping for a small day cruisier to putter about in while I can.

Some are here to whine and complain,- 'just smile and nod. We always have people who are intensely interested in cruising and respectful of others.
Well said mate.
wallabyshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 06:20   #72
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
All forums experience this, and the have to or they die. To take you line of thinking and expand it, there would be very few new posts and posters and eventually this forum would die a slow painful death.

In all forums on any subject, I would guess 90% of the information is rehashed over and over. It seems like a small inconvenience to accommodate when the alternative could be worse. If you don't want to answer a newbies question, let someone else do so that may have learned from you and the more experienced.
That's your opinion of course, and I disagree. There is no problem with starting a new thread, and if certain posters don't care at all about what content is already available, than don't ever do a search. But I do think it makes subjects better by appending on to same or similar threads than simply starting a new one. And if you read my previous post, I don't read a majority of posts. There are 2000 to 3000 people on this forum pretty constantly. The other major sailing forums have 1/3 or less that number. So what's happening is working and has for a very long internet time.
Old 25-02-2017, 06:32   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
You're asking too much of a generation whose attention span has been reduced to about 5-10 seconds before they press the clicker.
I have two yoofs in their twenties. Neither of them can remember a time before the internet. That's quite scary really. We have always encouraged them to use the WWW, all be it heavily censored in their early years.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 07:04   #74

People don't go to the book store for resources and learning... they pop on to a forum and ask to be edgemacated... Blame it on the ease of use of the www and these sorts of forums which have no participation qualification requirement whatsoever.

I am not averse to a forum for sailboat owners ONLY for example.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 07:32   #75

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
That's your opinion of course, and I disagree. There is no problem with starting a new thread, and if certain posters don't care at all about what content is already available, than don't ever do a search. But I do think it makes subjects better by appending on to same or similar threads than simply starting a new one. And if you read my previous post, I don't read a majority of posts. There are 2000 to 3000 people on this forum pretty constantly. The other major sailing forums have 1/3 or less that number. So what's happening is working and has for a very long internet time.

Gosh, I don't know. I don't think that most of us think of CF as some kind oa a wikipedia/reference material. It's about interaction for most.

Also, the search function is really pretty bad. I've tried it a bunch of times, and have found the way it presents results to be more or less incomprehensible. I rarely use it.

For my part, we're at the point where it's all been talked about before, there really is almost nothing new under the sun, so repeats are inevitable, and really not a problem. If we could only talk about new stuff, there wouldn't be much happening here.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum