Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 00:33   #16

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'
Re: Stainless or Galvanized Anchor

Rigging is trusted for a limited amount of time. Most people that cruising serious replace their rigging every 10 to 15 years.
On top of that, under water is an oxygen starved environment, not a location where stainless is at its best when it comes to longevity, unless you use the right type of stainless (twice the price ) AND use the right welding methods and procedures to fabricate your anchor.

For only the material price of such an anchor you can buy a galvanized anchor that will last you many decades. We use our anchor for roughly 300 to 330 days per year. I sleep very well, also when the boat is anchored and I'm not onboard for weeks on end. With a stainless anchor I would not sleep as well as I have seen stainless chain and anchor break with no warning.

Stainless is also susceptible for fatigue from cycle loading, something that an anchor is subjected to much more than rigging.

I would not even think for a single second to get stainless anchors or chain or swivels or shackles. But than I also do not care if things are shiny on the boat...
Old 20-02-2018, 00:40   #17

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

If you think S/S anchors "look really cool", then buy one! When I see a boat with a S/S anchor, I usually think, "What a !@*&$". Why pay more for something that is not as good.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:14   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
My galvanized anchor came with the boat. It's very old, at least 40-50 years. 200#, a ss equivalent would be $2000+
Yeah well I guest $10,000 is technically $2000+
Or were you quoting s/s anchor costs from 40-50 years ago?

Or maybe its just us in Australia paying 5x more for our stuff
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 03:09   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

agree with you that stainless is not at its best permanently immersed, been there done that. But we are not talking about keel bolts here. Dont care where you are. Just care have you tried 316L ss anchors? If you are permanently at anchor & your nylon rode conducts electricity can see why you would be worried. Forgot to add I have a chain/nylon rode. Guess u have all chain,I actually sail a lot between anchorages & i guess the stainless has time to reform it's oxide coating. Just trying to relay real world experience. So yes I dont have your experience being on the hook all the time. I actually have a galv anchor ( x2) coz it came with the current boat but if it didnt have 2 anchors i would make another out of s.s. 316L with no fear. But it just my view.Knock your self out with whatever floats yr boat. I like to have a discussion :-)
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 04:39   #20

Boat: no boat any more

FWIW: stainless anchors have a very bad mana for me:
I admired his stainless one in Whangarei on the hard:
100-4212 | CrocBITE
Old 20-02-2018, 08:17   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
What's your preference and why? I'm debating on buying a stainless one but for the price, I could almost get two galvanized.
Galvanized, because a) it's stronger for the application and b) I won't have a dissimiliar metals issue with galvanized chain and c) galvanizing done well is pretty obvious and (this is key) may be reapplied as needed relatively cheaply. This is my new SPADE 30 kg. main anchor, out of the box and on the bow last August.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:23   #22

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

If you have a bottomless pit of a wallet or a magic money tree then go with S/S but nowt wrong with galvanised.

Better spending the extra cash on an oversize anchor capable of holding you in a storm with uprated chain and a proper snubber than something pretty hanging off the bow.

I have a 33kg Galvanised Vulcan on 8mm Galvanised G70 chain and a "shockles" snubber on 10 m of 14m mooring line. For an 8.5 tonne displacement boat. No buggering about trying to set a second "storm" anchor as my primary bower is more than enough to deal with anything up to a hurricane, which we don't get in the Adriatic.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:43   #23

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Not very many galvanized anchors get stolen.

If it's pretty someone else is gonna want it! Only galvanized for me.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:44   #24

Boat: Pearson

Galvanized. they dont require polish.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:46   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

There are so many grades of SS? SS will not have the tensile strength of a galvanized carbon steel anchor. It may not make a difference if it's a shiny lunch hook other than your wallet.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:43   #26

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Some great replies here to the question! I echo those that recommend galvanized. But then a modern anchor, like a Spade, we have two, or a Rocha. We could not handle the roller with the bowsprit on our Gazelle but after circumnavigating trust the Spade like no other. I would not think of fabricating my own. Proper design is important on this most important piece of equipment.

One of our Spades is Aluminum. An easy anchor to transport in a dinghy and also because Spades feature a removable shank easy to store when not needed. Great holding surface for the weight.

JIM
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:03   #27

Boat: Amel 50

Even if the tip of the galvanized anchor starts rusting, it clears up when used. Just keep using it. It should last you as long as you own the boat.

If a little rust bothers you, take it somewhere to have it re-galvanized. You usually have to re-galvanize the chain after 5-6 seasons anyway.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:21   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
What's your preference and why? I'm debating on buying a stainless one but for the price, I could almost get two galvanized.
SS is bling for the marina crowd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 015.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	164490  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:32   #29

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

I finally changed to SS chain and SS anchor (Ultra 35kg). Could not be happier. No conning problems (stacking) and no need for gloves to protect my hands from a rusty chai, and yes it does look nicer.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:40   #30

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Sold!!!
Just bought a new Spade S100 https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/produ...e-s-steel-s100. It's the next size up for our boat. The difference in physical size is minimal and we won't have to wonder if the one we got was too small if we get caught in a big blow. Thanks to all for the great comments and information.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor