Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS
Looking at Portable Freezer Fridges

In the market for a portable fridge freezer. Have looked at Engel, Dometic and Isotherm. I would like to hear reviews and opinions on all three.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:30   #2

Re: Looking at Portable Freezer Fridges

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-180007.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I recently bought an ARB fridge and will add a smaller ARB freezer down the road. I've had previous experience with ARB products in the offroad world and liked the construction (rugged). Mine makes no noise (that I can hear). Like the others has 12v/110v capability (plus a low battery alarm)

My options were a portable fridge or to upgrade an icebox. When I compared pricing for new insulation and equipment it came out (IMO) to be money better spent going to a portable.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:46   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Stu,
I read that but it is not a portable.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I may likely due to cost buy a Whynter myself, I also like the digital temp display.
They seem to get good reviews from the RV crowd, however it seems no one has put one on a boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:56   #6

If you choose Dometic....pick the CFX serie. Much more a freezer than their CF-serie, and therefor, won't kill your batteries right away.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:14   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I may likely due to cost buy a Whynter myself, I also like the digital temp display.
They seem to get good reviews from the RV crowd, however it seems no one has put one on a boat?
The Whynter portable looks exactly like an Edgestar we purchased (probably the same base unit w/different name slapped on it) and I wouldn't recommend purchasing it based on our experience. May work well as a fridge but don't expect too much as a freezer. A more detailed review is up on the Amazon customer reviews for the 43 qt. Edgestar.

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:34   #8

Bought the Dometic CFX-50 in December. I considered ARB and Engel, but in the end, it appeared the Dometic was comparable in every way, but at a much lower price.

I've used it on the road in my pickup truck for a couple thousand mile trip. It was great. Was able to use the 700+ mile range of the truck with stops only at rest stops for plumbing checks. Carried it into motel rooms at night and shifted to 120V. Saved a ton on drinks and food while on the road.

It's going on the boat tomorrow for four days on the GICW. Taking the Honda 1000EUi along, and I'm guessing I'm going to be eating better than I ever have on the boat. Woo-hoo!! The Honda and 2.5 gallons of gasoline and my NOCO Genius 26000 charger should give me over 40 hours of charging in non-eco mode, and almost 60 in eco mode, enough to run all my electrical toys and the fridge.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:37   #9

Boat: Tartan 30

We've had this unit for about 10 months and it has done everything as advertised. Whynter 2 cu. ft. 62 Qt. Dual Zone Portable Freezer in Gray-FM-62DZ - The Home Depot
We got it on sale for around 575.00 and so far we're very pleased.
Oldlaxer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 19:35   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
In the market for a portable fridge freezer. Have looked at Engel, Dometic and Isotherm. I would like to hear reviews and opinions on all three.
I bought the Dometic and I run it on my inverter when at anchor otherwise it automatically runs on Shore power the efficiency is almost the same and better than running off of Just 12 volts even with the inverter involved. I never turn off the inverter when away from Shore power
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27   #11

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I just bought a Dometic CF-40. When set as a fridge it uses about 8 Ah/day to hold 32 degrees. When set as a freezer, it uses about 12 Ah to hold about 2 degrees F.

I have an insulated cover - looks nice and doesn't get in the way of opening.

The unit is heavy to carry for one person when loaded.

Runs on 12/24 or 110/125 volts with auto switching, preferring the higher voltage.

I can just slightly hear it running. There is an automatic light inside - a convenient asset for us.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Just as a comparison . I have a 71 litre deep freeze set at 0 degrees f with an r value of 40 . It uses 19 amp hrs at 12 volts in 24 hrs . With an average ambient temperature of 85 degrees f . My fridge is 226 litre or 8 cubic feet set at 34 degrees f uses the same as the deep freeze, it has r 30 insulation .

So while those little fridges are not bad , but small, in comparison to a properly insulated permanent refrigeration system .

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have the Dometic CF25
It's a bit cutesy!
I use it as both a freezer and fridge.

It can hold about 2 weeks frozen steak for a hell of a carnivore. At the top of the freezer I put a sheet of foam and have the top as a fridge for enough milk, cheese, butter etc.

I like it because:
It's small
Not built in
Can alter the temp exactly.
Digital readout.
Simple.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:32   #14

Boat: Gulf 32

We've been very happy with our Engel, it makes for a very flexible solution.

Longer trips we use it as a freezer, including freezing jugs of water that get rotated into our ice box and use ice box as refrigerator... works great and we didn't have to retro fit our whole ice box and we don't have ice blocks melting and creating a soupy mess and clogging drains etc.

On shorter trips we use the Engel as a fridge.

Sips power as a fridge, does pretty well (my estimate is right around 48ah per day) as a freezer.

Keep in mind, at least the Engel, these are lower power draw for reason, don't expect it to flash freeze a gallon of water in an hour like your home freezer.

Engel seems well made, should last a while (only had it about a year), I will say it's not quite the quietest thing on the planet, but I like knowing my beer is staying cold
Old 10-03-2017, 09:59   #15

I've had an Engel MT80FCP Platinum Series II 75L Combi Fridge /Freezer (Fridge 42 litres, Freezer 33 litres) for 2 and a half years now, can't fault it at al. For the first month or so I had it at the house running on mains power, ever since then it's been running on 12v only on the boat, great unit and well built.

I also have one in my Landcruiser, that's a 60L, albeit 15 years old and had a very hard life, it's pretty battered but having the steel cabinet and lid it's well protected and still going strong, recommend them to anyone....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer