Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 19:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Jabsco Head Pump

Rex, I've never heard of one failing the way you describe. I suspect that someone is pulling up too hard on the handle. Of course you may have run into a batch that the screws were over tightened. I'd talk directly to Jabsco about it. They really pay attention when consumers call with problems.

It is not a common failure mode for this toilet.
Old 07-10-2016, 20:53   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Jabsco is a cheap marine toilet made for a target group. More expensive toilets are usually better made and have better, lasting parts. Most marine dealers don't carry the better toilets because most people can't afford to buy them. If you buy a Yugo or Lada, expect Yugo reliability.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 22:54   #18

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I had the same failure on my new pump after 3 months. 4 of the 6 screws broke their plastic mounts. $100 wasted.
Fount a tmc electric conversion and changed to this. The women on my boat hate pumping and looking at the bowl.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 23:31   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I have one of these things and I grease it once a month to keep the wife happy. If you turn the screws anticlockwise till they click you will never cross thread them. You can feel them drop into the thread. If you just screw them in they tend to cross thread the original thread and weaken the whole thing... Ours is 7 years old never had to change anything except the top seal..
Old 16-01-2017, 05:56   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my side by side fail test showed that the older jabsco pumps worked longer. these new ones have a spring that fails. then it goes CRUNCH and passes out of the hoses then thru hull fitting. this new part was sold to me 2015 summer.
the old ones had no such spring.
once the spring fails, the plunger has a slight lag in the action. it still works, but differently. that is where mine is now.
the older pumps are far superior to the new ones.
now to find some older pumps to rebuild.......
the pump that came with boat lasted well over 10 yrs. these new ones are self limiting to mebbe 2 yrs than spring is done. oops. yup they are not well engineered
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 06:50   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Jabsco is a cheap marine toilet made for a target group. More expensive toilets are usually better made and have better, lasting parts. Most marine dealers don't carry the better toilets because most people can't afford to buy them. If you buy a Yugo or Lada, expect Yugo reliability.
I'm surprised you would know why most marine dealers don't stock certain products.

The Jabsco head is a basic head. No frills, just a way to make poop go away. Many people here have reported years of service with theirs and as I posted earlier, my experience is the same. They do what they are supposed to do.
Old 16-01-2017, 07:12   #22

Have worked on a lot of boats, many times dealing with Jabsco twist and lock heads.
Jabsco manual head is an economy marine head which targets casual user. The design and construction are such that most need regular work if used extensively.
See much better reliability from a PHII if you want to stick with a manual head, recognizing there is a definate price delta.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, jabsco