Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 08:40   #166

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Just an observation, but I don't recall any evidence that this gentleman's actions thus far have anything necessarily to do with his age. Also, at 78 he would have only been about 8 years old at the end of WW2. So not sure about the 'greatest generation' either, maybe more like the next generation. As Jim pointed out earlier, we know little about him or his onboard equipment, but are all hoping for the best, obviously.

Rustic -- thanks again for trying to keep tabs on this with the limited options you have. And for keeping us apprised, of course.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:54   #167

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Within the past couple of days, a low and trough have come off the East Australian coast. For some of that period (if he is on course for Brisbane), he shall have had NW and then W wind. It is likely to slow his arrival.

Too bad nobody can contact Coastwatch and see if they've spotted the Mahi.

Ann
Old 18-09-2015, 15:48   #168

I said a little prayer for his safe return.. after watching this from the start.. I'm checking back every day.. hope he is on dry ground
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 18:46   #169

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Hmm... IMO, there is little chance of him "flying under the radar".

AMSA know about him (2 EPIRB alerts), NZ navy know about him, a cruise ship knows about him so I reckon Coastwatch will know about him. The NZ navy might want their Satphone back one day.

And perhaps more importantly, the world's largest and best known cruising community know about him.
Whilst all the above is true from a legal viewpoint there are no restrictions upon one voyaging outside Australian waters once you enter another countries waters you have embarked upon an international voyage and a whole host of legal complications then apply. I can sail around the world without committing any legal infringments as long as I do not enter another countries waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR

The man is either a true romantic or an exceptionally horny old bugger.

Quote:
These traits are not mutually exclusive
I know this from personnel experience but then I'm only 71.

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, this guy had rather tough it out on his boat, and maybe he'd rather go down this way, than in some nursing home laying in a bed
Tis a far far better thing I do than making a nuisance of myself whilst rotting in front of a TV set whilst waiting to die.

Quote:
As to what we should do as a society, for the protection of our older society members that do stuff like this. I would humbly suggest that we use a pittance of the global war fund, and just follow the guy at a distance......you know, keep an eye on the old bugger just in case he needs more help.
Right, if the dole bludgers can go down to the dole office and get rent assistance and free mobiles for job hunting they have no intention of ever doing he should be able to get voyage assistance and one of those keep-track-and-message-via-sattelite gadgets that folks can call into and find ones whereabouts.

Getting old is the pits even though inevitable. Just controlling the mood swings can pretty well be a full time job. I get depressed and feel like I should give the cruising life up when ever I have to motor for any length of time but then I get a grip on myself and start considering the alternatives and things go back to normal. I motored from 0400 until 1800 the day before yesterday but caught a good sized mackerel and this and having made about 120nm south and a couple of good night anchorages and by sneaking in a couple of days motoring in a light weather spell has banished the motoring blues and I am happy to keep going on the boat.

Society needs to not just tolerate but celebrate the little victories of the human spirit these adventurous wrinklies embark upon and help and not hinder and for my part I would enthusiastically support his officially being declared a National Treasure.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:39   #170

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Within the past couple of days, a low and trough have come off the East Australian coast. For some of that period (if he is on course for Brisbane), he shall have had NW and then W wind. It is likely to slow his arrival.

Ann
Hi Ann, if you mean AMSA, they haven't heard from him. He's listed as missing but have not begun a search for him as yet.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:52   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just an observation, but I don't recall any evidence that this gentleman's actions thus far have anything necessarily to do with his age. Also, at 78 he would have only been about 8 years old at the end of WW2. So not sure about the 'greatest generation' either, maybe more like the next generation. As Jim pointed out earlier, we know little about him or his onboard equipment, but are all hoping for the best, obviously.

Rustic -- thanks again for trying to keep tabs on this with the limited options you have. And for keeping us apprised, of course.
Whilst your right, he is not old enough to have gone through the depression or war years, he's still of the generation that came through the building years following the war and that did build something in the psychic of those generations. Especially of children and teens from those war years as that was their formative years. There was no such thing as the instant generations you have today, no dole, no Medicare (that's our health system in Aust). Things didn't get thrown away until they literally broke down and couldn't be used any more. They were resilient generations who persevered far more than either my generation (60's) or later generations. So, I believe I understand what Autopilot was suggesting.

I'd also be one of the first to stand up to encourage this fellow to fix his boat and go again. He's got his partner waiting for him in Fiji after all.

My only concern, is not his age, but he's made at least one very basic mistake of sailing and that is, he failed to tell his family, or his close friends of his departure. That's not wise sailing. I'm starting to suspect he's made other mistakes as well, which will probably come out in the wash. But, for now, that's not the concern. The concern now is that no one has a clue where he is. Basically, just waiting for his epirb to go off again or for him to turn up.
Old 19-09-2015, 01:56   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Whilst all the above is true from a legal viewpoint there are no restrictions upon one voyaging outside Australian waters once you enter another countries waters you have embarked upon an international voyage and a whole host of legal complications then apply. I can sail around the world without committing any legal infringments as long as I do not enter another countries waters.
Are you sure about this?

Jessica Watson who stopped no where had to submit a clearance certificate and she had to go through the usual customs stuff on her return before anyone else was permitted on her vessel.

Whilst I've never sailed outside of Australian waters, I THOUGHT it was upon leaving our economic zone that the law cuts in.
Old 19-09-2015, 03:34   #173

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

"Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht
Quote:

Ann
Hi Ann, if you mean AMSA, they haven't heard from him. He's listed as missing but have not begun a search for him as yet.
Rustic Charm is offline Report Post "

Ann
This has also been on my mind.Is it that they ,AMSA or whoever controls the planes ,will not talk to we Joe Blogs or no one has tried? I am currently near Bowen and the planes have been busy and communicative up here.

RC is your info based on questions direct from you to authorities or second hand?

Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 03:40   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
"Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht
Quote:

Ann
Rustic Charm is offline Report Post "

Ann
This has also been on my mind.Is it that they ,AMSA or whoever controls the planes ,will not talk to we Joe Blogs or no one has tried? I am currently near Bowen and the planes have been busy and communicative up here.

RC is your info based on questions direct from you to authorities or second hand?

Chris
Both. I've been keeping in touch with AMSA control and his family. I tried also speaking with NSW Marine police, they seemed less than enthusiastic to discuss it.
Old 19-09-2015, 04:15   #175

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Both. I've been keeping in touch with AMSA control and his family. I tried also speaking with NSW Marine police, they seemed less than enthusiastic to discuss it.
Cheers thanks.
Knowing what they know about him it does seem strange to me that given the amount of boats up this way that I here them quizzing that they do not fly over the area this chap is potentially in or they know more and they will not elaborate.
In my opinion in the circumstances we know of or read here he has been out there too long unheard from not to have a serious look for if not a full blown search .Then again I have no clue what or who triggers an actual search for a supposed missing yacht.
Chris
PS not much faith in the Water Police I made a number of calls to them in Townsville last month over an incident I was witness too and they never answered the phone or returned the call from the messages I left.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 13:19   #176

Quote:
My only concern, is not his age, but he's made at least one very basic mistake of sailing and that is, he failed to tell his family, or his close friends of his departure. That's not wise sailing. I'm starting to suspect he's made other mistakes as well, which will probably come out in the wash. But, for now, that's not the concern. The concern now is that no one has a clue where he is. Basically, just waiting for his epirb to go off again or for him to turn up.
Quote:
My dad is missing somewhere in the Pacific ocean between Australia and Fiji. He's been out there for about 5 weeks now. He is not in Australian waters as our search and rescue have checked.
What I ask is that if you could put the word out to anyone travelling through those ways to keep an eye open for him. He's 78 yrs old, his boat is called Mahi and it's a 36 foot yacht with blue hull.
If you could do this I would be great full as we are doubtful of how much food and water he has on board.
Regards
Melz
What more do you need?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 13:39   #177

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
What more do you need?
I hope in a way Melz is not following, would have should have to old etc.. I just hope to hear a happy ending. All of the second guessing is for naught and some is down right sickening.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 14:10   #178

Yes, bloody tricoteurs, -euses.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 14:15   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I hope in a way Melz is not following, would have should have to old etc.. I just hope to hear a happy ending. All of the second guessing is for naught and some is down right sickening.
Cadence, what exactly is 'sickening'?

NO ONE has suggested he's 'too old'! There's been a little light hearted joking about him having a girl friend but that's about it.

Other than that I've commented that he should have let someone know when he was leaving, which is a pretty basic request of any authorities. Nothing to do with age at all.

What is so 'sickening' that you keep referring to?
Old 19-09-2015, 14:24   #180

Boat: Island Packet 40

What we do know is that he has an EPIRB, because he has used it twice, and that he does not want to abandon his vessel.

In the absence of further information we can only speculate as to where he is and why.

The reported condition of the vessel and lack of stores for an extended voyage suggests the possibility of financial stringency (relevant because clearing out costs money as does Australian registering the vessel, we do not have a low cost pleasure vessel system as do the Brits)

The old gentleman may be wishing to avoid attention and might be holed up somewhere waiting until things calm down a bit.

The authorities may or may not have information on his whereabouts and may not be willing to provide it to third parties (They are often fairly useless and now have privacy laws to hide behind)

About all we can do is keep an eye out for him, offer assistance if someone comes across him, hope that some of the possible benign reasons for his ongoing absence apply and that sooner or later he will turn up and be OK.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht