Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 08:10   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

OOOoooooooo.... Get You Big Boy....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 08:15   #137
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No wonder he/she treats you like halfwits if you behave like you were.

Stop fishing his/her rubbish out, confront him/her and tell them to stop that behaviour. If this does not help, ask marina manager to take action.

Being nice to tyrants only ever makes things worse.

b.
'Scuse me Barney? The guy is a VISITOR. I'm certainly not going to confront a drunk, and I AM going to scoop the trash out, because I can. Where was I "nice to a tyrant?"
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 08:17   #138
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Ditto what Island Hopper said. Its a way of commincating "hey i enjoy your company". To not have a brew, particularly with new friends, is considered mildy offensive and somewhat odd. The rare exceptions are for people with previous alcohol problems.
Really? Is there an exception for people for whom alcohol might cause their breast cancer to come back? I wouldn't necessarily want to tell a total stranger my medical history on first meeting. I have to say I've met plenty of people who aren't offended because I do what is right for me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 08:20   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
... The Golden Leaf Foundation and the Tobacco Trust Fund in NC have funded some incredible projects, that benefit many. They funded a project on our farm to turn cheap hogs into cured meats like hams, pancetta, bacon, and guanciale. I guess you could then argue they have helped subsidize the boating industry....vis a vis my avocation ...
I've read that Golden LEAF also underwrote $50,000 to build nine yacht slips, and reconfigure a kayak launch on the Roanoke River.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:28   #140

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hmmmm... Well now...
Could I claim a Government Subsidy as compensation for stopping one(Smoking) to develop the other(Boating) in a fuller more thorough and productive manner...??
Say... my annual outlay/yr on tobacco products x 10....
Figure I'll be dead by 73...lol

I know a guy that quit smoking in the early 90s.

What it amounted to was a boat payment. He went sailing.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:49   #141

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well then, you proably just shouldn't leave the house.

Well, seeing as how my boat IS my house...

My point was that scantily clad fat people are far more offensive to me than any kind of recreational smoke. So are tightasses.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 21:04   #142

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

In 1970 we were anchored half way up the river to Saigon when a Korean ship pulled up a long side. It smelled so bad from all the empty kimchi cans laying around, that we started a pot of smoke of smoldering rags. Fortunately they were only rafted up for a couple days.

Sig smoke is nothing compared to a lot of stuff that cruisers seem to get wind of in anchorages.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43   #143

I quite smoking at 22 and I had smoked for 14 years... Yup, I started a bit young... I put the patch on for 3 months and never looked back! When I was around 25, I was living in an appartment ant the landlord on the ground floor was a smoker and an insomniac: I would wake up in the middle of the night and think that someone was smoking I my room, it was so bad that my close smelled like I had started again, I moved...
Living in Tokyo in 2004-05, everyone and his brother was a smoker but you would never see a cigarette but on the street....
Here in Montreal smoking is banned from public buildings, at restaurants, the smokers gather outside, in front of the door and blow smoke in you face as you go by, it's there way of getting back at us! (just kidding!!)
I invited some friends to go wakeboarding (back in the days of motor boating) on my brand new wakeboard boat, my girlfriend was a smoker and she would sit on the swim platform and have a cigarette, my friends figured they could do the same but sitting inside the boat.... I let it be but I did loose it (a bit) when I saw the ashes and butts in the cup holders!!! :-)
A friend of a friend came on the same boat at another time, he was eating sunflower seeds.... He was trowing the hullson the floor!!! Boat was full of them! He could not understand why I went back to the dock and asked him to get out....
Today at 43, I learned to be tolerant about second hand smoke if the smoker tries to be careful about the wind, smoking guests would be fine as long as they don't smoke inside the boat; they leave all there close is the dinghy; take a shower after every cigarette..... Just kidding!!! :-)
Lajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32   #144

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Two words, "field dress". If you're a smoker and don't know what that is, find out!!
Ah... Actually, that's "Field Strip"... In the military one learns to Field Strip one's weapons, and one's cigarett butts, if one knows what's good for oneself. One rarely finds discarded butts on a military base.

And, one can actually smell smoke for a long way. Some jerk sneaking a smoke it the bush could reveal one's presence or give away one's position. The acrid stench of Asian cigarettes was often enough to allow one to sniff out an ambush up-wind of oneself. Of course, the same could be said for after-shave (ain't no natural Old Spice in a rain forest), some deoderants, and the odor of insect repellant. Frankly, tho' I find the stench of some women's perfumes far more persistant and intrusive than cigarette smoke in an anchorage.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36   #145

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In 1970 we were anchored half way up the river to Saigon when a Korean ship pulled up a long side. It smelled so bad from all the empty kimchi cans laying around, that we started a pot of smoke of smoldering rags. Fortunately they were only rafted up for a couple days.

Sig smoke is nothing compared to a lot of stuff that cruisers seem to get wind of in anchorages.
Considering what else was in that Sewer--or "River"--I'm surprised you could actually smell the Koreans at all, or anything else for that matter.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17   #146

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Considering what else was in that Sewer--or "River"--I'm surprised you could actually smell the Koreans at all, or anything else for that matter.
We got use to the smell of Nha Be but the kimchi was overwhelming. And yeah, the river was so dirty one could only see a couple inches down. But the cat fish were huge! Didn't eat'm though.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18   #147

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I quit smoking cigarettes when they went up to 75 cents a pack. No way I was gonna pay that much. I have maybe 4 Habanos a year, and other than that I only smoke a hookah, maybe twice a week. Usually with Al Fakher Double Apple. I have had non-smokers come up to my boat and just luxuriate in the aroma. Everybody likes the smell of a hookah, it seems.

Now that I haven't smoked cigarettes in well over 30 years, I find the stench of them incredibly foul and noxious. But good luck getting someone to not smoke on his boat! If I can move, I will. If I can't, I will ask the guy to move downwind. Usually a glass of a nice tawny port will make the discussion more amiable. A tawny sorta does that.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:55   #148

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
As re-smoker, I'm much more consciencious about my habbits. I don't litter (usually), if I smoke around non-smokers i try to keep it out of their faces, i don't smoke indoors, etc...

However, If I occasionally offend someone with a wafting cloud, well... they can go bite the big one .
I couldn't agree more. When I smoke I'll be as courteous as I can until I can't.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 16:22   #149

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I know a guy that quit smoking in the early 90s.

What it amounted to was a boat payment. He went sailing.
With the amount I saved by giving up smoking last year, I bought a second ferro yacht. I've been using an "electronic cigarette" since last October and have no desire to smoke cigarettes, after having the habit for 42 years.

Not a perfect solution but I'm avoiding 3999 of the 4000 chemicals I used to inhale and feel better for it. My supersensitive non-smoking friend can't even smell it when I use it aboard his yacht.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 22:41   #150

Re: Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Ditto what Island Hopper said. Its a way of commincating "hey i enjoy your company". To not have a brew, particularly with new friends, is considered mildy offensive and somewhat odd. The rare exceptions are for people with previous alcohol problems.
What? I lived in Oz for 6 years as a miner. Recreated in some interesting Pubs, and never had someone bat an eye if I politely declined a pint saying I needed to drive or get up early.

A simple "No thanks, not drinking but would love a tonic/coke/soda water" was never a problem...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote