Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 09:53   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Good Foul Weather Gear for Very Petite Woman?

Where can I find good weather gear">foul weather gear (light/medium weight, costal sailing) for a < 5' < 100lbs woman?

Even ladies XS is often too big, and children's options typically aren't "the real stuff" or don't offer the same features.

We could use some recommendations
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:13   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Good Foul Weather Gear for Very Petite Woman?

As someone who dates this type of woman exclusively, I can tell you it’s just like buying anything else you can’t find for her:

Check the children’s section.

Just don’t buy the one with the duckies and cartoon characters unless she likes that type of thing. Ha ha

Edit: sorry. Missed that you already looked in the children’s. Look harder for more reputable brands that also have a children’s line.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 14:53   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You, or she, could consider looking at tops and bottoms, rather than overalls. Otherwise, I'd try and see if Gill or Henri Lloyd will have some made special order. Sorry, but many manufacturers don't even have foulies tailored for petite women.

Another option, possibly in the boy's section, at mountaineering places. Again, tops and bottoms, but not overalls. But might work. Easier to alter, if you want to do that, for more attractive fit.

Ann
Old 03-10-2021, 15:55   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Being married to a woman of the same height, she’s had some success generally looking in the Asian shops. She hasn’t been looking for your particular niche clothing.

Maybe online from Malaysia or Singapore?
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 17:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Being married to a woman of the same height, she’s had some success generally looking in the Asian shops. She hasn’t been looking for your particular niche clothing.

Maybe online from Malaysia or Singapore?
Maybe, but proper foul weather gear?

I'm personally a big fan of the overalls w/suspenders and a long jacket over the top.

But there are many features of good foul weather gear that a general jacket or even outdoor/hiking gear won't have.

I've also considered buying the smallest HH or Gil or whatever we can find and the going to an alterations place.

I guess I'll keep hunting...
Old 03-10-2021, 19:32   #6

The nicest foul weather jacket I ever saw was purchased in Sweden, and I don't know what kind of shop it was purchased in. My friend who has it could afford whatever she wanted. It fit her well, and the fabric was lovely.

Someone, a tailor or seamstress, could make one for you, but difficult to get the knowledge, fabrics and person together. An interesting project.

Ann
Old 04-10-2021, 09:08   #7

Boat: Pearson 530

Would dive suit’s work or are they also too big?
Old 04-10-2021, 09:10   #8

Boat: S&S 36

Possibly a quality plastic shopping bag
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:24   #9

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

I'm not a petite women. Still FWIW I have several sets of foul weather gear and my favorite is non boating specific "Frog-Togs". They are inexpensive, comfortable, light, water and wind proof. Did modify the ankle velcro, added more so they were snug to my ankles. That way wasn't walking and slipping on the extra length. Can buy many places including Amazon, Walmart and sporting stores.
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:02   #10

Boat: Pearson 530

West Marine carries a variety with size charts. Maybe you could find the appropriate ones there.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:27   #11

Boat: "Imaginary Steel 50"

Re: Foulweather gear for budget-conscious sailors.
I recently listened to Paul Trammel interviewing a cold-weather Sailor that sails the high latitudes extensively telling him that he gets his undergarments from dive shops that supply undergarments for Drysuits. That along with just some regular foul weather gear costs him just a fraction of the cost of some of the high-end foul weather gear. Just saying...
fxarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 17:19   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I find people get carried away with foul weather gear. I have some very expensive stuff that I never wear and sail the PNW in winter.
Layer with light waterproof outer shell. I love a pair of golf rain pants that I use. Wool underneath if cold. Lifa underwear. Improvise and experiment. Fisherman foulies. Cut off sleeves and pants. Not expensive.
You don't need "official" sailing gear. Whatever works.
The trick is to never allow yourself to get at all wet. Like reefing. Do it before you need to.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 18:46   #13

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Thinking ski wear for young ladies/teens would do it for "light/med coastal foulies."
Some are very good quality and usually overpriced. (Just like sailing gear)
But like most items can run the gambit on quality/price.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 20:39   #14

Friend of mine used to use powder pants and ski jacket to sail in, so you may be onto something. Am here to tell you, though, that a float coat is a miserable thing to ski in.

I do believe the OP wants to get his good lady something really nice.

Ann
Old 05-10-2021, 15:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
I find people get carried away with foul weather gear. I have some very expensive stuff that I never wear and sail the PNW in winter.
Layer with light waterproof outer shell. I love a pair of golf rain pants that I use. Wool underneath if cold. Lifa underwear. Improvise and experiment. Fisherman foulies. Cut off sleeves and pants. Not expensive.
You don't need "official" sailing gear. Whatever works.
The trick is to never allow yourself to get at all wet. Like reefing. Do it before you need to.
maybe so, maybe not. But good foulies have some nice features. They tend to be roomy and offer the opportunity for layering. Jackets tend to be long with plenty of room to move and raise your arms without exposing a midriff. zIppers that open from top and bottom, sometimes arm pit zippers are nice, wind and water proof zippers, good hoods that stow rather than collecting water when you're not wearing. voluminous pockets for cold hands and stuff you're not using (hand bearing compass, gloves, a candy bar, ski goggles). wrists and ankles that close, pants with built in suspenders so they dont' fall down. reinforced knees and seats......I could go on.

I've been shopping rei etc and I just can't find much. $400 for an arcterix jacket and $250 for pants that are still too big and don't fit the bill well? nope not gonna work

Peeps I do tend to do my own research first thanks. If I'm looking for foulies its probably because I evaluated other options and found them wanting.

Any, its the SIZE problem that's an issue and the size problem pertains to ALL SORTS of clothing.

You try asking for lingerie in childs sizes and see where it gets you!

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather