Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 00:40   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Anyone Use Emetrol For Nausea?

Depending on the sea state if I have to go below to fix something, I can get queasy. Others onboard can feel it too.

Hardcore meds like Dramamine cause drowsiness and a bit of a stupor. Not sure about scopaline, but it’s also a more hardcore drug.

Has anyone used Emtrol to control nausea?

Apparently it takes 15 mins to work and people swear by it. Thinking it may be good for the first couple days of a long passage.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anyone Use Emetrol For Nausea?

Emetrol is an effective, over-the-counter treatment, for the relief of nausea, when nausea and vomiting are caused by viral, or bacterial, infection, or overeating.
Emetrol works by calming the stomach muscle contractions, that can lead to vomiting.
It doesn’t really treat nausia, nor prevent/ameliorate motion sickness.
Emetrol contains sugar and phosphoric acid. Diabetics should not use Emetrol, without medical supervision, because of the concentrated sugar.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 14:03   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chotu,

Finding what works for one is -- or was for me, anyhow -- a long period of experimentation. What we settled on is Stugeron (cinnarizine HCl). There are things that will stop throwing up but still leave me nauseous. I find that the feeling of being nauseated bothers me more than actually throwing up. Stugeron takes that feeling away for me, and both Jim and I use it, nowadays. It is good enough to read fine print and still feel okay, although i don't read much the first 3 days of a passage, anyway. (We have no connection with the company.) It is available mail order from Canada, i am told.

I am able to take it when feeling queasy, and then lie down for 1/2 hr. and get up feeling okay. I don't really have words for how much easier it has made my life. A whole lot, for sure.

Another approach, if a person can't take something by mouth, are compazine suppositories, in the class of anti-emetic drugs. They would also be helpful if someone developed bad throwing up from flu, and one was far from land. They are by prescripton, and best kept refrigerated for long storage. A useful part of the medical kit, if you head off.

Ann
Old 10-10-2021, 15:06   #4

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Emetrol is an effective, over-the-counter treatment, for the relief of nausea, when nausea and vomiting are caused by viral, or bacterial, infection, or overeating.
Emetrol works by calming the stomach muscle contractions, that can lead to vomiting.
It doesn’t really treat nausia, nor prevent/ameliorate motion sickness.
Emetrol contains sugar and phosphoric acid. Diabetics should not use Emetrol, without medical supervision, because of the concentrated sugar.
Wow, you just triggered 60 year old memories of my mother giving me flat Coca-Cola syrup from a drugstore soda fountain for nausea when I was a kid. She swore by it. Me, I went on power-puking.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 17:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Stugeron

Be aware that it CAN induce serious side effects, such as Stugeron induced Parkinson’s, especially in older women. It may or may not go away with time, but takes a year.

Also, Stugeron is normally used in a small dose (15mg?) but is sometimes sold OTC as Stugeron FORTE which is a MUCH stronger dose (75mg?).

So that is what happened to my Wife, she when and bought Sturgeron, got FORTE, and (as usual) did not pay attention to the dosage but just gulped them down. She didn’t even notice the problem but I could she had become very unsteady and was having difficulty with balance.

She has recovered but it was a close thing.

Still can’t get her to pay attention to stuff.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:09   #6

Boat: Catana 471

We’ve also had very good success with Stugeron and noticed no adverse effects (we have the lower dose pills, not the FORTE). I don’t feel seasick often, but on the rare occasions when I begin to feel nauseous, I’ll take one (or one half) tablet, and feel completely normal again in 15-30 minutes. Wife has the same results. One of our chronically-motion-sick guests takes a tablet when she steps on board, and then has never felt seasick.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:53   #7

Boat: Baba 40

Ivermectin doesn’t work. Just sayin’…
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 13:53   #8

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

For the past twenty years I have kept a Relief Band on board for those suffering from mal de mer. It really works and unlike other remedies it's not ingested and has no side affects. It's been approved by the FCC for pilots and by the US Dept of Health for morning sickness during pregnancy, It was originally developed for treating nausea during dialysis. You can find it online. The basic unit is all you need. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 23:39   #9

Boat: Leopard 47

Dramamine is worthless and definitely not hard-core.

I like to use Meclizine, prescription but easy to come by.

Keep Scopalomine skin patches on hand for severe sickness.

I've heard good things about Sturgeon.
Oz
Old 12-10-2021, 01:38   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

My wife has tried a wide variety of medications and treatments. What finally worked for her were Scopolamine patches (Scopoderm). In Australia the patches don’t seem to be available but Kwells in pill form has the same medicine. The only side affect she noticed was dry mouth.

There are a myriad of medications and treatments and what works for one person doesn’t work for another. A side effect of my wife’s search for a cure to chronic sea sickness is that we have a wide variety of medications and treatments available for guests.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 18:34   #11

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Class of drugs that you might try are serotonin (5-HT3) inhibitors that we have used for yrs to treat nausea/vomiting secondary to chemotherapy and post operative n/v....prescription only, oral drugs, that are quite "clean", meaning few side effects. Generic names are ondansetron (Zofran), dolasetron, granisetron, and one other that escapes me now...I have Zofran in my boat's 1st aid kit. Best to try before you are going off shore to determine any untoward effects. Emetrol's effects are localized to the gut, where these work peripherally and centrally to control n/v....understand tho that none are FDA approved or clinically investigated in trials to document efficacy/safety for seasickness.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote