Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Looks like that shattered boat was constructed of foam cored glass. Should be possible to find out if the French boat was thus built, and perhaps the Lady D as well.

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 07:29   #107
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Seems to me the only way a boat in the middle of the Atlantic could be shattered like that is to be run down by a ship.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48   #108
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Or a whale, there was one last year? Off the coast of Cali or Mexico? where a whale jumped and came down on the boat. That looks like either a transom corner or a piece of hull and deck or bulkhead. The joinery and construction detail should say something, if the piece was recovered. The presence or lack of commercial gelcoat on the exterior would also indicate if it was a commercially built yacht, again IF they recovered the debris. The maker of the resins and glass could also be determined in a lab. Hopefully the SAR crew would have done that.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Seems to me the only way a boat in the middle of the Atlantic could be shattered like that is to be run down by a ship.
Agreed! Even a whale strike wouldn't likely cause that much dis-assembly, especially on a boat as large as the Lady D.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 07:55   #110
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Agreed! Even a whale strike wouldn't likely cause that much dis-assembly, especially on a boat as large as the Lady D.

Cheers,

Jim

If they were out of fuel and out of power it is conceivable that they could have been run down by a freighter or cargo ship, but surely they would have had to report that?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:57   #111

Hubbie, who has some experience in glass fibre boats has the following observations:
"A piece of solid glass fibre wreckage would sink, unless it had huge air voids in it, which is highly unlikely if it was part of the hull;
This piece of wreckage looks as though it has insulating foam of some kind attached to it;
The manufacturer of the French yacht should be able to confirm if any foam was used in the construction of the boat, and also be able to identify the lay-up of the piece of glass fibre;
The difference in thickness between "Lady Domina" and the French yacht should be significant, given the relative sizes of the 2 boats."
Hopes this helps!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If they were out of fuel and out of power it is conceivable that they could have been run down by a freighter or cargo ship, but surely they would have had to report that?
Only in a perfect world, Raku. Friends of ours in a steel Spray replica (Ara-A-Kiwa) were hit by an unlit merchant vessel about 300 miles west of New Caledonia a few years ago. They were unable to see the ships name in the dark, and, not being sure of the extent of the damage, called on the VHF asking the ship to identify itself and to stand by while they assessed the situation. The only reply was "do you think I'm crazy?", and the ship sailed on.

They survived and eventually reached Oz where they reported the incident to appropriate authorities. They were told that it was not the first such case in that area, and that there was little chance of any action. They were fortunate that the hull, while dented and distorted, was not breached, and that there was enough of the rig left standing to get them home.

It is sad but true that not everyone who plies the seas is a good guy.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, here is the weather picture on April 24th (when the French eprib went off). A classic crush zone (between a high near newfoundland and a low near the azores) causing strong headwinds.

I would think the Domina would have been driven quite far back toward the Caribbean if they got caught up in this weather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	424.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	60724
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28   #114

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I agree with Anne,looks like foam insulation. Not so unusual but the question is,did Lady Domina have such insulation in the hull?

From the piece of wreckage found and the dirty state of the vertical outside hull piece it could be part of the transom and bottom.

Tore
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34   #115

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Hard to tell but that piece of wreckage looks sort of old and weathered. Could be something from, say, Sandy on the US east coast, slowly floated out by the Gulf Stream and the Azores current. Not necessarily wrecked in situ. . . .
Old 12-05-2013, 08:35   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Grain de Soleil search team have stated with some certainty that this hull piece is not from their boat.

But there was also a third boat missing . . . "Team 2 Choc" a Dufour Arpège 9m white hull.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39   #117
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post

This is done by thousands of airline pilots every day around the world,it should not be any different for pleasure craft.
i am a pilot, filing a flight plan is not mandatory. the only reason i do it are safely and practice. unless you go into IFR you do not need a flight plan, or to file.
boats should be allowed to come and go as they please. and not be tracked.
i would do eprib, but i do not want the government or anyone else to know where i am.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49   #118
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
I agree with Anne,looks like foam insulation. Not so unusual but the question is,did Lady Domina have such insulation in the hull?

From the piece of wreckage found and the dirty state of the vertical outside hull piece it could be part of the transom and bottom.

Tore

Not foam insulation, foam core.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58   #119

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Is just me, or someone notice the light blue color in the pieces of wreckage ! Lady Domina is dark blue color hull more close to a black color..
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04   #120
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Click image for larger version

Name:	hull wreckage.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	60726

Looks to me that this is the wreckage of the hull just infront of where the keel starts.

I have traced an outline in red on the pic in the top left and continued the shape past where the wreckage ends. Looks like a cross section of the hull from just in front of the keel forward. This is likely a fairly large piece of debris?

As the leading edge of the keel also looks rather bulky this would lead me to guess that this was a full keel hull and not a fin keel hull?

edit: I would also tend to agree that it looks more like collision damage than storm damage?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Closed Thread