Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 13:52   #31

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Re: iPad discharging while plugged in and using iNavX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman4190 View Post
I am on the ICW. My iNavX always reconnects over WiFi. I had to switch to UDP instead of TCP.

For the reconnect issue, make sure you have the latest iNavX. There was a bug in one of the versions.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:04   #32

I use a $99 RCA tablet from Walmart for Open CPN. With the screen up full bright and the GPS antenna running, it too discharge faster than it charges. It does last 8-9 hours and frequently that is enough. Can plug in the small screen Garmin during re-charge periods, and that bridges the gap.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 00:43   #33

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

I found a 2.4 A charger, as the 2.1 A one that came with my iPad 4 (Retina) could not keep up. Starting with the iPad 100% charged, using an Apple lead, WiFi and Bluetooth off, and screen brightness slightly lower than maximum, I can mainrain 100% permanently. It is a two-port charger, with one marked port capable of high current. I keep the other port empty.

Deviate from these settings and the battery will be flat after about six hours. It seems that charging stops completely, in order to keep the rest running.

USB ammeters are available very inexpensively, which would tell you if the charger and lightning cable are producing enough current.

On a trip lasting several hours, there are usuall 'easy' periods, when a plotter is not needed, and you sould switch it off at these times. To let it charge at the full rate.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 04:18   #34

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have the same problem running the Navionics app. I spoke to my local Apple centre and they said even with the latest Ipad Pro, it would still be a problem because the App pulls more power than the charger provides.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 04:29   #35

Ok, so I've gathered a few bits of possibilities here:

1. Get an iPad with lightning cable.
2. Use genuine apple chargers and cables
3. Turn screen off and put iNavX in UDP mode
4. Update to latest version of iNavX (I was using the latest version as of May 2017, has there been an update since then?)

Is there an app that will just turn the screen off, but not lock the tablet?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 04:29   #36

I'm getting AIS over Wifi using my Vesper XB-8000 AIS transceiver. Also collects NMEA data from other sources and broadcasts it over WiFi.
Old 22-12-2017, 05:08   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Just ran an experiment over night.

IPad Air - Started at 4% SOC
Apple Brand Lightning Cable
Scosche ReVolt USB242M 12V USB Charger
Scrap battery in returns pile - Flooded G31 voltage 12.07V (if you are below this voltage on a boat you have other issues to deal with)

I fired up every application I could, set screen to full brightness, set screen lockout to never and I had wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular data all turned on. In total I had well over 30 windows open in background plus Garmin Bluechart, Navionics, iSailor & iNavX, with iNavX on the main screen.

I even set this up in the basement in an attempt to give the GPS chip a bit tougher time. Despite doing everything I could to drag the iPad Air down, while charging off 12V USB adapter and a sub 50% SOC battery, I awoke this morning to an iPad Air at 100% SOC.

I searched for my daughters old 30 Pin iPad but it must be up at camp...

Old 22-12-2017, 08:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think I know what the problem is, as we've experienced the same thing. Are you using an OEM Apple charging cable (lightning cable)? One purchased directly from an Apple Store or Bestbuy. Many of the ones bought over eBay and aftermarket sources claim to be OEM but don't work when it comes to charging for some reason. Only cables purchased directly from an Apple Store have been 100% reliable has been our experience, the others (and we've purchased many) are either bad right from new or wear out within a few months. The same thing when it comes to apple computer charging cords.

There must be containership loads of crappy counterfeit Apple lightning and computer charging cords in circulation.
I second this. I had the same issue with my phone while using navigation and pandora at the same time. It was because of the charging cord I was using. OEM is typically best but I found that a company called rnd works just as well. The only reason I didn't use OEM was because I needed a longer cord. After trying a few different ones, rnd was the only one that worked.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 09:12   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Just ran an experiment over night.

IPad Air - Started at 4% SOC
Apple Brand Lightning Cable
Scosche ReVolt USB242M 12V USB Charger
Scrap battery in returns pile - Flooded G31 voltage 12.07V (if you are below this voltage on a boat you have other issues to deal with)

I fired up every application I could, set screen to full brightness, set screen lockout to never and I had wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular data all turned on. In total I had well over 30 windows open in background plus Garmin Bluechart, Navionics, iSailor & iNavX, with iNavX on the main screen.

I even set this up in the basement in an attempt to give the GPS chip a bit tougher time. Despite doing everything I could to drag the iPad Air down, while charging off 12V USB adapter and a sub 50% SOC battery, I awoke this morning to an iPad Air at 100% SOC.

I searched for my daughters old 30 Pin iPad but it must be up at camp...

You will have the same results!

Real world experience- I did a delivery last year of a large powerboat with the new owner aboard. Plotter was ancient, so I navigated off my 30 pin iPad. Normally, I use the iPad for short hops until outside and then turn the screen off. But we had to run it for most of the day. My adapter was loosing ground on the iPad SOC.

The owner is an IT guru from a major sportswear firm, so he plugged my iPad into his Anker USB adapter. Only thing that changed in the power supply was the 12vdc-USB adapter.

I had the same results as you! Not only did it power my iPad, with the iNavx running, with iPad GPS data, but the iPad SOC to 100% rather fast.

I now carry two Anker adapters..... and yes I sprung for a new iPad.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 06:21   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I use and recommend this handy device:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Charger-....c100005.m1851

It goes between your ipad and the charger and tells you the current and voltage.

This device will tell you pretty quick if the problem is the wiring/charger or the device itself.

I had the exact same problem on a delivery last summer. Ended up leaving the ipad off most of the time, just powering up once an hour or in a tricky bit of the islands. Would have been nice (and safer) to leave it on all the time.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:32   #41

Ok, so I've done some research. It appears the iPads manage the charging current internally, so they don't really care how much amperage you send to them. My iPad says on the back 5.1V / 2.1A. So I can get 2.4A and 3.4A chargers all days, and not have any effect. (True, there is some question that non-apple chargers and cables might not be sending the right wattage through)

Alternatively, Apple has this article posted, which seems to suggest that some iPad models will fast charge.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:23   #42

Boat: 38' Diesel Duck

We are using a 27 watt Belkin F7U004 charger and a 90 degree Micord USB 3.1 to Lighting cable adapter. This setup will bring the battery up to full charge, at full screen brightness, with several apps running.

We had overheating problems as well, so we placed cooling fans on the mount.

(scroll down to entry #62)

Helge Entries

-Wendell
Windy.Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 00:57   #43

I have a new IPad Pro which I bought for the larger display and gave exactly the same problem. I think that the issue can be resolved by dimming the display but obviously this is unsatisfactory. I have put a 3amp charger in but this doesn’t help. Incidentally when I leave Inavx (or Boating and other charting apps) on charge at home the charge is maintained.

Any ideas?
Ashburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 00:59   #44

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Have you put the iPad into aeroplane mode?
This won’t affect the GPS but will stop the unit searching for cell or wifi signals (which uses a lot of power).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 01:32   #45

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburton View Post
I have a new IPad Pro which I bought for the larger display and gave exactly the same problem. I think that the issue can be resolved by dimming the display but obviously this is unsatisfactory. I have put a 3amp charger in but this doesn’t help. Incidentally when I leave Inavx (or Boating and other charting apps) on charge at home the charge is maintained.

Any ideas?
It doesn't matter how large or powerful your charger since Apple limit the amount of power that the device can draw, as long as the charger is large enough to provide the stated power requirement for the ipad, then that is enough, but it cannot draw more no matter how powerful a charger you have, also unless the display is one of the new OLED screens, it will still suffer from overheating and can shutdown in continued bright sunlight. Chartplotters and the Sailproof SP08 do not suffer from that problem. Regarding current draw exceeding charging capability, I cannot vouch for other apps, but I do know that Navionics is a very thirsty beast. I have spoken to Navionics at the Southampton Boat Show in the past and shortly after that, they brought out an update which seemed to cure the problem. It worked for about a year but then after one of the new season updates, the problem re-occurred and has been like it ever since.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, iNavX, Ipad, plug