Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 10:46   #1

iPad discharging while plugged in and using iNavX

I received sort of a "hand me down" iPad 3 (not air) and have been using it for navigation with iNavX. I have AIS over Wifi, and it is plugged into a high output 12V USB power adapter in the cockpit. If I leave the screen on it tends to lose about 5-10% charge per hour this way. I'm wondering if others who are using iPads for navigation have the same problem, or is this just an issue with my tablet because its old?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:54   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: iPad discharging while plugged in and using iNavX

I use an iPad 3 (retina display version) as a secondary plotter and to mirror my radar screen up in the cockpit. I’ve not yet wired a charging plug into the cockpit, so it’s operating on battery alone.

I find it drains down fairly quickly when in use. The big drain is the screen, but the GPS seems to draw the battery down fast as well. I have it going into sleep mode after 5 minutes, and I try and keep the screen as low as possible.

I’m not too surprised to hear yours is draining down, even while plugged in. I assume you’ve got the screen turned way up, and like I say, the GPS seems to take a fair bit of power as well. I’d try turning the screen down as low as you can, and see if you can cut the draw that way.
Old 20-12-2017, 10:59   #3

You might also try going into settings and switching into "Low Battery Mode" assuming the iPad 3 has that function.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 11:07   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have an iPad 3 and the same problem. I remember that when the iPad 4 came out in a hurry after the 3 all buyers of the 3 in the month preceding the release of the 4 could exchange for the 4 free of charge. So Apple was aware of problems with the 3.
I think we just got confirmation of the problems of the 3 never admitted by Apple.
You will just have live with it.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:34   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47

It does it on my iPad Pro as well if you don't turn the screen down.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:44   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t think it’s a particular problem with iPad 3s. All my iThings have always sucked power-wise when using lots of resources. The biggest energy hog always seems to be the screen.

Peregrine1983, I went looking for “low battery mode” on my iPad 3 — no joy. I don’t think it exists for these older models. I haven’t been able to update my iOS for a few generations now...
Old 20-12-2017, 17:42   #7

Are you using a 2amp USB adapter (e.g., the one that came with the iPad)?
Don
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:14   #8

Capt. Don, unfortunately there is no 12V charger supplied by apple. I am using a 2A 12V charger though, to no avail.

I've played with screen brightness some as well, but there's a tradeoff there with visibility. The only thing I could do to stretch it out was to turn off the screen. Being on the ICW, I would turn it on quite frequently to check position, however the iPad drops wifi when the screen is off, and iNavX doesn't reconnect to instruments automatically! Quite the pain, each time having to go through the menus and reconnect.

I'd hate to buy the 4 to discover it has the same problem.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:17   #9

Check that the output from the USB is in fact high output, salt air can corrode the contacts, should be getting 5 volts at 2.0amps at least. As noted already dim the screen as much as possible. There is an app called Amperes from apple store cost $1.50 , am testing it right now - told me my 2.1Amp Apple charger on AC supply delivered 1.022 amps and took 244 seconds to charge 1% of the battery... Now testing the 12V charger (2.1Amp) - result ..... 0.454Amps - took 549 seconds to charge 1% of the battery - interesting...
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 18:21   #10

Just looked at the house bank volts - 11.6 maybe this affects 12V chargers?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 19:38   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I received sort of a "hand me down" iPad 3 (not air) and have been using it for navigation with iNavX. I have AIS over Wifi, and it is plugged into a high output 12V USB power adapter in the cockpit. If I leave the screen on it tends to lose about 5-10% charge per hour this way. I'm wondering if others who are using iPads for navigation have the same problem, or is this just an issue with my tablet because its old?
High output USB power adapters typically put out 1000mah. Ipads need 2000mah adapters so make sure that your adapter is a 2amp one. also with the screen always on the consumption is greater than the charger output, typically because you need to crank the brightness all the way up to compensate for daylight! finally when used in the cockpit, keep the ipad in the shade or it will overheat easily. My ipad was my primary navigation tool when I crossed Lake Ontario a couple of summers ago ( 7hr motor) and my ipad overheated 3 times during that day!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 21:07   #12
cruiser

I think I know what the problem is, as we've experienced the same thing. Are you using an OEM Apple charging cable (lightning cable)? One purchased directly from an Apple Store or Bestbuy. Many of the ones bought over eBay and aftermarket sources claim to be OEM but don't work when it comes to charging for some reason. Only cables purchased directly from an Apple Store have been 100% reliable has been our experience, the others (and we've purchased many) are either bad right from new or wear out within a few months. The same thing when it comes to apple computer charging cords.

There must be containership loads of crappy counterfeit Apple lightning and computer charging cords in circulation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 21:39   #13

Boat: TBD The Admiral will have to approve!

I'm pretty sure that the output on my iPad air's charger was rated at 2.1 amps, or possibly 2.4 amps. if you only have 2 amps, that may be the problem
Old 21-12-2017, 00:40   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Capt. Don, unfortunately there is no 12V charger supplied by apple. I am using a 2A 12V charger though, to no avail.
I believe your 2A charger is inadequate. Your iPad is a "3" and I'm not familiar with the power requirements of that but I suggest you find out the hard facts and see if the below applies. If the requirements for the "3" are same as for the iPad Air then your charger is a definite failure point at a mere 2A.

https://marinehowto.com/ipad-charging-how-much-energy/

Cheers,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 07:26   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think I know what the problem is, as we've experienced the same thing. Are you using an OEM Apple charging cable (lightning cable)? One purchased directly from an Apple Store or Bestbuy. Many of the ones bought over eBay and aftermarket sources claim to be OEM but don't work when it comes to charging for some reason. Only cables purchased directly from an Apple Store have been 100% reliable has been our experience, the others (and we've purchased many) are either bad right from new or wear out within a few months. The same thing when it comes to apple computer charging cords.

There must be containership loads of crappy counterfeit Apple lightning and computer charging cords in circulation.
This is definitely true. I bought a name brand cord from Best Buy and it is noticeably slower charge and can be seen just by changing them and watching the battery indicator. Unfortunately the offbrand one is the longer, more convenient one so I still use it. I just hook up the Apple one when I get low. Maybe the length is an issue but it is a big cord so if there is a voltage reduction due to length it should be minor.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, iNavX, Ipad, plug