Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 12:15   #46

Re: iPad discharging while plugged in and using iNavX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburton View Post
I have a new IPad Pro which I bought for the larger display and gave exactly the same problem. I think that the issue can be resolved by dimming the display but obviously this is unsatisfactory. I have put a 3amp charger in but this doesn’t help. Incidentally when I leave Inavx (or Boating and other charting apps) on charge at home the charge is maintained.

Any ideas?
I have found - in a completely unscientific fashion - two ways to extend battery life on my iPad Pro when navigating. When I say "unscientific" because I've not spent serious time logging and testing this methodically - it's observational.

The first is that I use my ship's position from the instruments, and turn off location services and everything but the Wifi I need to talk to the ship's network to connect to the Vesper XB-8000. This seems to slow the power drain.

The second low tech solution is to get a couple of power power banks, and plug the iPad into one until it drains then swap it. In the meantime, the other one is charging down below...

Putting a USB jack on my binnacle could solve it, but I've also got a 12V socket under my dodger where I can leave the iPad plugged in. But it's not in the nice bracket on my binnacle in front of me then, which is where I like it since I can't poke at my other chart plotter from the helm.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 12:57   #47

I got sick of my Ipad Pro (12.9") taking forever to charge (and actually discharging while on) and found on the forums that the 29W USB-C Macbook charger is compatible with the Ipad Pro.

Got that a couple of years ago, and never looked back. Will charge from empty to full in a hour or two with the screen on full brightness now.

That's nearly 6 amps. You need the compatible high current cable, too - you can't just use your 2 amp cable.
Old 19-10-2021, 13:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Have you put the iPad into aeroplane mode?
This won’t affect the GPS but will stop the unit searching for cell or wifi signals (which uses a lot of power).
You revived a old thread! The model I had didn't even have cell service. I switched to a Samsung and never looked back. No more charging issues!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 22:27   #49

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

With a lightening connector you also need to ensure there isn’t any lint in the bottom of the charging port
Clean it out with a toothpick so the plug goes all the way in
Also my iPad uses a 36 watt charger and never drops out when running
Old 13-11-2021, 00:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I got sick of my Ipad Pro (12.9") taking forever to charge (and actually discharging while on) and found on the forums that the 29W USB-C Macbook charger is compatible with the Ipad Pro.

Got that a couple of years ago, and never looked back. Will charge from empty to full in a hour or two with the screen on full brightness now.

That's nearly 6 amps. You need the compatible high current cable, too - you can't just use your 2 amp cable.
Thanks …. That’s very useful and I’ll get one but do you know what I can use when at sea and so only have that boat’s battery to power it?
Ashburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 00:54   #51
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You need a better charging source, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, when your house battery is at 11.6V, something is wrong, it should be at 12.5V. At 11.6V, charging the iPad will be limited.

For non emergency use, it’s important to have all instrument data,incl. GPS position, AIS etc, streamed over wifi. Using an internal GPS uses too much power.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, iNavX, Ipad, plug